Author Topic: Upcoming Lecture About Newly-Discovered Armenian Mosaics in Jerusalem  (Read 532 times)

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
  • New Martyrs of Libya pray for us!
Professor Abraham Terian will present a lecture on a newly-discovered Armenian mosaic on the Mount of Olives in Jerusalem. The mosaic, which has been dated to the sixth century at the latest, is significant because it sheds light on the role of Armenians, their churches, monasteries and other activites in ancient Jerusalem.

Dr. Terian, who grew up in Jerusalem and was an archaeologist before he became a theologian, will relate the latest discoveries to those known for more than a century, and will comment on their artistic, religious and paleographic significance.

The lecture will take place at the Seminary on Thursday, March 22 at 7:30PM.

The new finding is also highly significant because the mosaic contains a short inscription which is among the oldest surviving examples of Armenian writing anywhere.

http://www.stnersess.edu/news/article.php?id=335&utm_source=Eastern+Diocese+E-Newsletter&utm_campaign=96e2206777-February_9_20122_9_2012&utm_medium=email

« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 03:33:41 AM by Salpy »

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
  • Leave me alone, I was only singing
    • Alaska Volcanoes
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
Re: Upcoming Lecture About Newly-Discovered Armenian Mosaics in Jerusalem
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 10:12:50 AM »
That looks very interesting. Wish I could go!   :angel:
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

--

And if I seem a little strange, well, that's because I am

Offline CoptoGeek

• of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 11:16:21 AM »
That looks very interesting. Wish I could go!   :angel:

It would be great if all these lectures were streamed through livestream.com or ustream.com, etc and archived.
"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Hypatos
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 08:20:38 PM »

The new finding is also highly significant because the mosaic contains a short inscription which is among the oldest surviving examples of Armenian writing anywhere.
If from the sixth century they would also be interesting of a non-Chalcedonian inscription deep in the heart of the Chalcedonian Empire, from a nation outside the Empire.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth