OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 05:21:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Believers Stand Up For Jailed Anti-Putin Punk Rockers / Members Of Female Punk Band PUSSY RIOT On Trial For Church Protest / Aleksandr Dugin on "Pussy Riots" global blackmail  (Read 20060 times) Average Rating: 0
Vladik
High Elder

From the CIS with love

« Reply #360 on: August 18, 2012, 03:26:21 AM »

Pussy Riot sang sacrileges in a sacred - for millions Russian citizens - place. They are guilty.
But the Western propaganda tries to use in a cynical way. That's all.   
Vladik
High Elder

From the CIS with love

« Reply #361 on: August 18, 2012, 03:32:23 AM »

It is so funny to look on the pathetic Western whores "stars" who support Pussy Riot.
It is obvious they are tools of the White House's propaganda, that's why I despise them.

The accused have received support from musicians such as Kate Nash,[48] Red Hot Chili Peppers,[49] Sting,[49] Peter Gabriel,[50] Cornershop,[48] Faith No More,[51] Alex Kapranos of Franz Ferdinand,[48] Neil Tennant of the Pet Shop Boys,[48] Patti Smith,[52] The Beastie Boys,[53] Refused, Zola Jesus,[53] Die Antwoord,[53] Jarvis Cocker,[48] Pete Townshend,[48] The Joy Formidable,[48] Peaches,[51] Madonna,[54] Genesis,[55] Tegan and Sara,[56] Johnny Marr,[48] Courtney Love,[57] Iiro Rantala,[55] Propagandhi,[58] Anti-Flag,[59] Rise Against,[55] Corinne Bailey Rae,[48] Peter Hammill,[60] Kathleen Hanna,[61] Björk,[62] Paul McCartney,[63] Yoko Ono,[50] British comedian Stephen Fry,[64] Mayor of Reykjavík Jón Gnarr[65] and Warren Kinsella.[66]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pussy_Riot
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 03:32:45 AM by Vladik » Logged
Babalon
Resident Occultist

Faith: Gnosis
Jurisdiction: A.'.A.'.

I am everywhere the centre.

« Reply #362 on: August 18, 2012, 04:31:56 AM »

It is so funny to look on the pathetic Western whores "stars" who support Pussy Riot.
It is obvious they are tools of the White House's propaganda, that's why I despise them.

The accused have received support from musicians such as Kate Nash,[48] Red Hot Chili Peppers,[49] Sting,[49] Peter Gabriel,[50] Cornershop,[48] Faith No More,[51] Alex Kapranos of Franz Ferdinand,[48] Neil Tennant of the Pet Shop Boys,[48] Patti Smith,[52] The Beastie Boys,[53] Refused, Zola Jesus,[53] Die Antwoord,[53] Jarvis Cocker,[48] Pete Townshend,[48] The Joy Formidable,[48] Peaches,[51] Madonna,[54] Genesis,[55] Tegan and Sara,[56] Johnny Marr,[48] Courtney Love,[57] Iiro Rantala,[55] Propagandhi,[58] Anti-Flag,[59] Rise Against,[55] Corinne Bailey Rae,[48] Peter Hammill,[60] Kathleen Hanna,[61] Björk,[62] Paul McCartney,[63] Yoko Ono,[50] British comedian Stephen Fry,[64] Mayor of Reykjavík Jón Gnarr[65] and Warren Kinsella.[66]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pussy_Riot

UH OH. THE ILLUMINATI WITH THEIR HOMO-FASCIST-LUCIFERIAN-ANTI CHRISTIAN AGENDA IS OUT DESTROY US. BOOOOOOOOOOO.

I mean seriously, apart from Courtney Love, they're all fairly respectable. Bought off or not, i can hardly see any of them as white house "tools".
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 04:32:25 AM by Babalon » Logged

Vladik
High Elder

From the CIS with love

« Reply #363 on: August 18, 2012, 04:43:35 AM »

they're all fairly respectable

Madonna Ciccone is respectable?  Cheesy She is an aged whore of Babylon.
All decent people despise her in our society.

UH OH. THE ILLUMINATI WITH THEIR HOMO-FASCIST-LUCIFERIAN-ANTI CHRISTIAN AGENDA IS OUT DESTROY US. BOOOOOOOOOOO.

It is the Cold War. No Illuminati.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 04:49:02 AM by Vladik » Logged
montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #364 on: August 18, 2012, 05:02:48 AM »

They didn't break into the church.

That's simply a quibble. They got into a church for purposes other than what church is meant for.
And you're missing the point.  By all means, punish the band for "disturbing the peace" or whatever.  However, it appears that the punishment is not fitting the crime, in this case. 
That's another matter, though I agree with you based on our sense of justice.

But they (the band) live in a society where they have harder laws.

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
tha thu lan de na gràsan;
Tha an Tighearna maille riut.
montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

« Reply #365 on: August 18, 2012, 05:04:23 AM »

I don't support the MP, or his greediness, but, this was an insult to all of Orthodoxy, not just the MP.

Shameful, yes.

Punishable by seven years in prison, though?

Seven years?  No.  That's too strict.  

However, it shouldn't be simply dismissed.

Perhaps these "mothers" would benefit from some counciling, religious education or community service.

And that's what the people behind the petition featured in the OP believe, too.  I have a very soft spot for all kinds of civil disobedience (provided there's an actual cause, even if I disagree with it), but even I think this one goes a bit too far, but that's also because I have a very strong sense of the sacred.  

The reaction by the authorities, both secular and religious, is over the top, IMHO.

And what were they protesting about?

- fixed quote tags to give some context. S1389
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 05:24:36 PM by serb1389 » Logged

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #366 on: August 18, 2012, 05:10:23 AM »

That's simply a quibble. They got into a church for purposes other than what church is meant for.

Like car washing? Or fashion shows? Or birthday parties? Have you ever been in that Church?
Babalon
Resident Occultist

Faith: Gnosis
Jurisdiction: A.'.A.'.

I am everywhere the centre.

« Reply #367 on: August 18, 2012, 05:40:39 AM »

they're all fairly respectable

Madonna Ciccone is respectable?  Cheesy She is an aged whore of Babylon.
All decent people despise her in our society.

It is the Cold War. No Illuminati.

I said fairly. I respect her record of pissing off the uptight folk. She's got quite an impressive resume in that field, but as far as musicianship and talent? Not a chance. Actually, i don't "like" anyone on that list you mentioned, yet none of the people i consider to be REAL dangers to human decency appeared. So i ain't trippin, yo'.

Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #368 on: August 18, 2012, 10:40:47 AM »

Pussy Riot forgiven by Russian Orthodox Church
Tikhon Shevkunov, who heads Moscow's Sretensky Monastery and is widely believed to be the Russian president's spiritual counselor, said on state television Saturday that his church forgave the singers right after their "punk prayer" in the Christ the Savior Cathedral in Moscow in February.

"The church has been sometimes accused of not forgiving them," the bearded and bespectacled cleric said. "We did forgive them from the very start. But such actions should be cut short by society and authorities."

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #369 on: August 18, 2012, 10:46:10 AM »

Tikhon Shevkunov, who heads Moscow's Sretensky Monastery and is widely believed to be the Russian president's spiritual counselor, said on state television Saturday that his church forgave the singers right after their "punk prayer" in the Christ the Savior Cathedral in Moscow in February.

"The church has been sometimes accused of not forgiving them," the bearded and bespectacled cleric said. "We did forgive them from the very start. But such actions should be cut short by society and authorities."

Also Stalin didn't have any personal enemies.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #370 on: August 18, 2012, 11:20:52 AM »

People just want to be angry regardless of the facts.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #371 on: August 18, 2012, 11:21:35 AM »

Also Stalin didn't have any personal enemies.
Ghandi wore glasses.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #372 on: August 18, 2012, 11:23:36 AM »

Like car washing? Or fashion shows? Or birthday parties? Have you ever been in that Church?
Please research "elements of a crime" with a focus on "intent."
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #373 on: August 19, 2012, 12:17:48 PM »

I've read somewhere in the Tsarist Russia maximum penalty for the crime of blasphemy was a month in prison.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 12:18:06 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged
88Devin12
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA

« Reply #374 on: August 19, 2012, 04:27:18 PM »

I've read somewhere in the Tsarist Russia maximum penalty for the crime of blasphemy was a month in prison.

And in the Roman Empire I think it was exile (when unrepented), we definitely have our choice of disciplinary actions to choose from.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #375 on: August 19, 2012, 04:38:56 PM »

I lost my Kerdy de-coder ring.  Can you translate that for me?

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #376 on: August 19, 2012, 07:04:57 PM »

I lost my Kerdy de-coder ring.  Can you translate that for me?
No code needed.

Some people simply want to be angry and will remain angry no matter what, even if they are shown to be incorrect.  For instance, angry with the actions of the Church, even though there is nothing to be angry over, i.e., not asking for compassion during sentencing even though they did.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 07:08:32 PM by Kerdy » Logged
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #377 on: August 19, 2012, 08:57:06 PM »

In Germany today you can get three years in prison for committing  defamatory mischief at a place dedicated to the religious worship of a religious association.
http://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/englisch_stgb/englisch_stgb.html#StGBengl_000P166
Balthasar
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #378 on: August 20, 2012, 07:37:11 AM »

These attention seeker ugly little brats have succeeded in getting what they've wanted: attention. I saw and heard their rants from the cathedral, and they look and sound like devil. The "activist" boyfreind of one of these evil women tries hard to speak with the British accent. Even the name of the gang band is English. How shameful it must be for Russians to immitate the junk culture of the West! Please someone teach them a good lesson they won't ever forget. How about sending them to North Pole?
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #379 on: August 20, 2012, 09:32:11 AM »

These attention seeker ugly little brats have succeeded in getting what they've wanted: attention. I saw and heard their rants from the cathedral, and they look and sound like devil. The "activist" boyfreind of one of these evil women tries hard to speak with the British accent. Even the name of the gang band is English. How shameful it must be for Russians to immitate the junk culture of the West! Please someone teach them a good lesson they won't ever forget. How about sending them to North Pole?

Islam is the evil religion of intolerance and hatred.  English is trendy.  A lot of things all over the world are in English.  Realistically if you want to communicate with anybody from outside the CIS, you had better learn English. 
Vladik
High Elder

From the CIS with love

« Reply #380 on: August 20, 2012, 10:27:05 AM »

tries hard to speak with the British accent. Even the name of the gang band is English.

What's wrong with trying to speak pure English? As for me, I'm trying to get rid of Americanisms in both lexicon and accent.  

How shameful it must be for Russians to immitate the junk culture of the West!

Agreed. Do Americans call it "wonnabe"?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 10:47:07 AM by Vladik » Logged
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #381 on: August 20, 2012, 10:46:35 AM »

How shameful it must be for Russians to immitate the junk culture of the West!

Agreed. Does Americans call it "wonnabe"?

Yeah, like totally in the 90's.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 10:47:09 AM by vamrat » Logged

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
bkovacs

Faith: Byzantine Christian

« Reply #382 on: August 21, 2012, 04:13:03 AM »

http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/4212934.html
What the western media failed to mention!.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 04:13:29 AM by bkovacs » Logged

"We knew not whether we were in heaven or on earth, for surely there is no such splendor or beauty anywhere on earth." The Divine Liturgy at Hagia Sophia.
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #383 on: August 21, 2012, 05:52:15 AM »

http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/4212934.html
What the western media failed to mention!.

Nice try, but wrong.  From what I could tell about the author from searching around, he doesn't speak Russian nor has he lived in the CIS.  So the idea that he somehow has some secret insight that the "Western media" (of which he is presumably a part) missed is silly. 

The fact of the matter is that the ladies in question claim they are Orthodox Christians.  Unless you can produce an official excommunication to call them unorthodox is libel.  They were protesting the relationship between Edinaya Rossiya and the Orthodox Church, wishing for the Church to not be co-opted by the Kremlin.  This is a completely different scenario than a group of non-Orthodox people protesting the existence of Orthodoxy from within an Orthodox Cathedral.  The other idea that was simply laughable in the linked article is that Russia is somehow a religious society.  Pretty much every study I've seen puts active church attendance in the 1-3% range.  To call Pussy Riot Soviet is also illogical - the two main people that protested against, Putin and Patr. Gundyaev who were themselves cogs in the Soviet system and who repeatedly use neo-Soviet imagery in their speeches. 

The problem that Pussy Riot and Femen have are their methods.  All normal methods of civil society are broken in the CIS, so people tend towards extremism.     
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #384 on: August 21, 2012, 07:22:01 AM »

Let us please remember one important difference: Femen sees religion as an obstacle to women's equality. Pussy Riot on the other hand consider themselves Orthodox Christians, they just don't recognise the MP's leadership as the only authority to interpret Orthodox tradition.
Gorazd
OC.net guru

« Reply #385 on: August 21, 2012, 07:30:05 AM »

In Germany today you can get three years in prison for committing  defamatory mischief at a place dedicated to the religious worship of a religious association.
http://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/englisch_stgb/englisch_stgb.html#StGBengl_000P166
"Disturbing the public peace" is the key. The whole thing will be considered criminal only if it leads to mass riots in the streets or similar.
Balthasar
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #386 on: August 21, 2012, 07:40:54 AM »

A couple of decades ago, the West exported communism and Vodka to destroy Orthodox Christian souls in Russia, now it's attempting with music and sexual virusus. The android woman who calls herself madonna Angry actively engaged in promoting homosexuality ain't a coincidence. The war against Orthodox souls continues.
montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

« Reply #387 on: August 21, 2012, 08:12:29 AM »

No. But I'm unaware of Orthodox Churches that are 'open' for anyone to walk in and do a protest song

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
Vladik
High Elder

From the CIS with love

« Reply #388 on: August 21, 2012, 08:55:53 AM »

Pussy Riot ... consider themselves Orthodox Christians

LOL
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #389 on: August 21, 2012, 09:11:11 AM »

"Disturbing the public peace" is the key. The whole thing will be considered criminal only if it leads to mass riots in the streets or similar.

Yeah.  If you enter a Church and make a mockery of it you are fine so long as it doesn't lead to riots.  But one hakenkreuz on a model airplane?  Up the chimneys with you!

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
Pilgrim72

« Reply #390 on: August 21, 2012, 09:36:20 AM »

Oh please. Can we stop with the anti-Western rhetoric already? Moscow is just as much if not more of a moral cesspool than any Western city. Heck, the same can be said about a provincial city like Irkutsk--and please don't tell me the junkies passed out left and right on the streets are America's fault. And if you think the "West" alone was capable of ideologically colonizing "Holy Russia," then you have a very low opinion of Russians, methinks. Deal with it--Russia as a whole was never as holy as you imagine it to have been.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #391 on: August 21, 2012, 01:37:15 PM »

the West exported communism and Vodka to destroy Orthodox Christian souls in Russia

Vodka was exported to Russia? Why to export sand to Sahara?
Pan Michał
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: The Polish Autocephalous Orthodox Church

« Reply #392 on: August 21, 2012, 02:16:38 PM »

the West exported communism and Vodka to destroy Orthodox Christian souls in Russia

Up until then, they were using spirit. Vodka has softened them up.
88Devin12
Protokentarchos

« Reply #393 on: August 21, 2012, 02:23:33 PM »

Abbot Tryphon: "No such thing as sacrilege in the west" about the Pussy Riot group & reactions.
http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/morningoffering/no_such_thing_as_sacrilege_in_the_west
88Devin12
Protokentarchos

« Reply #394 on: August 21, 2012, 04:25:00 PM »

Madonna has apparently stomped on an Orthodox crucifix at her concert in St. Petersburg, in addition to openly promoting homosexuality.
Marcin

Jurisdiction: Polish Orthodox Church

« Reply #395 on: August 22, 2012, 05:22:33 AM »

Pussy Riot ... consider themselves Orthodox Christians, they just don't recognise the MP's leadership as the only authority to interpret Orthodox tradition.

If so, what is their interpretation of Orthodox tradition?

They are not isolated individuals who develop their own ideas. They are part of a large movement, and years long members of a radical community.

It is not very productive to focus on their personalities at the expense of understanding their worldview. And they with their friends do not hide whose thought inspired them.

One example is Slavoj Zizek  (Zhizhek), another is Michel Foucault. Let me quote from Wikipedia:

Žižek is an atheist. He has said he does not consider religion an enemy but rather one of the fields of struggle. He has also referred to himself as a "Christian materialist". Žižek believes the universalist aspect of Christianity should be secularized into militant egalitarianism, against the "pagan notion of destiny". This universalism he derives from what he perceives as the alleged Christian death of God: God died on the cross and lives on as the "Holy Spirit", that is, in human community. ... He has written many pieces on the reinterpretation of the religious and the theological such as The Puppet and the Dwarf, On Belief and The Fragile Absolute.

Vladik
High Elder

From the CIS with love

« Reply #396 on: August 22, 2012, 05:32:17 AM »

Alcoholism within the Polish community.pdf  

You are not worthy to be a mod, since you are troll not a man of honour.

And you, sir, are in no position to make such personal attacks on one of our posters, be he a moderator or not. You are therefore receiving this warning to last for the next 60 days. If you wish to appeal this warning, please send me a private message.

- PeterTheAleut
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 10:24:11 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Pan Michał
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: The Polish Autocephalous Orthodox Church

« Reply #397 on: August 22, 2012, 05:50:43 AM »

Alcoholism within the Polish community.pdf  

You are not worthy to be a mod, since you are troll not a man of honour.

Which reminds me this oldie - you know what's the difference between alcoholic and bon vivant? The former is addicted degenerate, the latter is rich addicted degenerate. Wink
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 05:51:33 AM by Pan Michał » Logged
montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

« Reply #398 on: August 22, 2012, 08:48:55 AM »

Oh please. Can we stop with the anti-Western rhetoric already? Moscow is just as much if not more of a moral cesspool than any Western city. Heck, the same can be said about a provincial city like Irkutsk--and please don't tell me the junkies passed out left and right on the streets are America's fault. And if you think the "West" alone was capable of ideologically colonizing "Holy Russia," then you have a very low opinion of Russians, methinks. Deal with it--Russia as a whole was never as holy as you imagine it to have been.

The Guardian disagrees:
The west's hypocrisy over Pussy Riot is breathtaking
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/aug/21/west-hypocrisy-pussy-riot?newsfeed=true

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
Gorazd
OC.net guru

« Reply #399 on: August 22, 2012, 09:12:16 AM »

It is not very productive to focus on their personalities at the expense of understanding their worldview. And they with their friends do not hide whose thought inspired them.

One example is Slavoj Zizek  (Zhizhek), another is Michel Foucault.

You raise an important question, unfortunately I cannot answer in detail now, since I am still on the way back from Ukraine. However, I would want us to be careful. Just because Zizek and Foucault have expressed support for Pussy Riot, does not mean that Pussy Riot share their ideologies.

I would suggest we make statements about doctrines and views of Pussy Riot only on the base of their own statements, not on who has expressed support for them during the trial.

Btw, does anyone here know Elisabeth Behr-Sigel?
Pilgrim72

« Reply #400 on: August 22, 2012, 09:36:40 AM »

The Guardian disagrees:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/aug/21/west-hypocrisy-pussy-riot?newsfeed=true

Oy. Sad day when I have to respond to something from the Guardian. I fail to see your point or, frankly, that of the author. The West has many, many problems. Including increasingly incarceration for thought-crimes. I think it is a vile and disturbing trend. There are many who also feel this way, and speak out against it. How is this hypocrisy? Because we have problems we shouldn't have opinions on what goes on elsewhere? Have you been to Russia? Have you seen the blatant materialism and hedonism among the younger set? Oh right--that's all the West's fault. I guess the crass consumerism increasingly exhibited in China is also the West's fault. This is a human condition, a failing, not a geographic location.
Pilgrim72

« Reply #401 on: August 22, 2012, 09:38:01 AM »

You raise an important question, unfortunately I cannot answer in detail now, since I am still on the way back from Ukraine. However, I would want us to be careful. Just because Zizek and Foucault have expressed support for Pussy Riot, does not mean that Pussy Riot share their ideologies.

Foucalt dies in 1984. I somehow doubt he has feelings one way or another.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #402 on: August 22, 2012, 09:40:17 AM »

The Guardian disagrees:

Oy. Sad day when I have to respond to something from the Guardian. I fail to see your point or, frankly, that of the author. The West has many, many problems. Including increasingly incarceration for thought-crimes. I think it is a vile and disturbing trend. There are many who also feel this way, and speak out against it. How is this hypocrisy? Because we have problems we shouldn't have opinions on what goes on elsewhere? Have you been to Russia? Have you seen the blatant materialism and hedonism among the younger set? Oh right--that's all the West's fault. I guess the crass consumerism increasingly exhibited in China is also the West's fault. This is a human condition, a failing, not a geographic location.

What the punkers did was shocking, blasphemous and - frankly childish.

How the Russian state reacted was indicative of a far greater danger. Had they been punished as they would have been in the United States or Great Britain, they would not have become a 'cause celebre' around the world, thereby allowing secular humanists and non-believers to 'tut tut' about the Church, State and the all too complex nature of the historical relationship between the two in any western culture. (By western I mean those states who owe some debt to the civilization of the Hellenes and the Romans - not just the Church of Rome.)

Unless of course you secretly yearn for a church state hegemony in which all manners of human conduct and foreign policy are conducted in accordance with a theocratic heavy hand. Oh wait - there is such a modern state - Iran. Is Russia to become the 'orthodox' (intentional use of a small 'o' folks) equivalent?

I suspect Putin and his crew have intentionally hijacked the Church - a Church emerging from the overt persecution by the Soviet State willing to reassert her historic role in the Russian culture and people (but at what cost I might ask?) - in order to restore the oligarchy - wrapped in a velvet glove rather than a naked iron fist.
Marcin

Jurisdiction: Polish Orthodox Church

« Reply #403 on: August 22, 2012, 09:43:14 AM »

However, I would want us to be careful. Just because Zizek and Foucault have expressed support for Pussy Riot, does not mean that Pussy Riot share their ideologies.

I am being careful and I did not write my post because Zizek or Foucault supported PR. (Foucault is dead BTW)

The reason is that PR read these authors (especially Zizek) and that their statements seem to reflect the theory and practice of these two revolutionaries.

Pussy Riot/Voina members are not original thinkers, they are young zealous activists, same way as young Bolshevik party members were able to express basic tenets of the doctrine, yet were not capable to develop it on their own or claim authorship.

It is enough to compare Zizek theories with PR statements and actions to see the connection. Same way as you can recognize Marxists by their words and deeds.

Why I think it is important, to resist a revolution or to protect the Church, you need to understand with whom you are dealing. So read a little, please.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 10:00:17 AM by Marcin » Logged
Pilgrim72

« Reply #404 on: August 22, 2012, 09:49:56 AM »

Pokarpatska gets it.  Nice post Lips Sealed
Tags: music Russian Orthodox Church 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: