OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 09:02:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New to fasting  (Read 399 times) Average Rating: 0
Priolo Gargallo

Faith: Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Heritage~ Italo Greek; attending OCA

« on: March 08, 2012, 06:04:36 PM »

As the title states, I'm new to fasting In the Byzantine tradition, and I have refrained from meat and dairy every day except the past two Sundays, but today I had my mothers salmon and a little egg in my fried rice. I'm just wondering if my feeling of guilt is me just being over scrupulous or if I have done something wrong? Does anyone have any advice or insight? Thanks!

Most holy Theotokos, save us!
Manalive
Иоанн
Elder

Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate

It is later than we think.

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 06:11:08 PM »

I think that's a good effort you're putting forward. You work yourself into the fasting. It's very hard to jump right in especially when your are still just inquiring. I had a hard time keeping the fast when I first started learning about Orthodoxy and became a catechumen.

And remember without increase in prayer to go along with your fasting, fasting from food is just the fast of the demons. Wink

"Lay hold of the pathway... rugged and narrow as it is."- St. John Chrystostom
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 10:31:25 PM »

The Kingdom of Heaven is not meat and drink.  That said, you shouldn't feel guilty about not keeping the fast strictly, especially your first time out.  As already said, fasting is something that needs to be eased into by the faithful.  And if you don't couple your fasting with almsgiving and prayer, your fasting is ultimately in vain.  Keep doing as you're doing and make sure that your fasting is done with the blessing of your priest.  If someone offers you something that may be on the "forbidden" list, make the sign of the cross, thank them and eat joyfully.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
NightOwl
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 10:37:38 PM »

It's also my first fast, but I'm only abstaining from meat, and even then I caved when I went on a trip one weekend. Sad
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 10:46:59 PM »

Imagine trying to keep the fast when your non-Orthodox wife brings home a pepperoni pizza and beer after you've worked a 12 hour day. It's just not gonna happen. We're all doing what we can.
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 10:55:22 PM »

The Christian life is one long sequence of falling and getting up, falling and getting up, falling and getting up.

The past and the future can both equally destroy you: focus on what you're doing in the present moment.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 12:37:01 AM »

Imagine trying to keep the fast when your non-Orthodox wife brings home a pepperoni pizza and beer after you've worked a 12 hour day. It's just not gonna happen. We're all doing what we can.

How dare you!  Know you not that we are called to eat only pizza made with tofu pepperoni and soy cheese?!?

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 03:53:15 PM »

Under many Orthodox Jursisdictions you can have the beer but not the pizza.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 05:39:34 PM »

As the title states, I'm new to fasting In the Byzantine tradition, and I have refrained from meat and dairy every day except the past two Sundays, but today I had my mothers salmon and a little egg in my fried rice. I'm just wondering if my feeling of guilt is me just being over scrupulous or if I have done something wrong? Does anyone have any advice or insight? Thanks!

ah you must realize jedi master that "feeling guilty" is a western feeling.  Eastern feeling is seen as a path of enlightenment, that is a path to be like God, Theosis.  Identify what you did wrong, try to correct it, seek forgiveness, forgive yourself.  Christ said two words the most in the gospels, "love and forgive." 
Plus I don't remember what the Greek Catholic fasting rules are during lent. 

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: