Author Topic: Is This Real Life?  (Read 1004 times)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
Is This Real Life?
« on: March 26, 2012, 01:25:27 AM »
James Cameron reaches deepest spot on Earth

Hollywood icon James Cameron has made it to Earth's deepest point.

The director of "Titanic," "Avatar" and other films used a specially designed submarine to dive nearly seven miles, completing his journey a little before 8 a.m. Monday local time, according to Stephanie Montgomery of the National Geographic Society...

The scale of the trench is hard to grasp -- it's 120 times larger than the Grand Canyon and more than a mile deeper than Mount Everest is tall...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 01:25:43 AM by Asteriktos »
"The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice. Day by day, what you do is who you become. Your integrity is your destiny--it is the light that guides your way." - Heraclitus

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
Re: Is This Real Life?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 02:24:14 AM »
James Cameron reaches deepest spot on Earth

Hollywood icon James Cameron has made it to Earth's deepest point.

The director of "Titanic," "Avatar" and other films used a specially designed submarine to dive nearly seven miles, completing his journey a little before 8 a.m. Monday local time, according to Stephanie Montgomery of the National Geographic Society...

The scale of the trench is hard to grasp -- it's 120 times larger than the Grand Canyon and more than a mile deeper than Mount Everest is tall...
And if his submarine were to spring a leak at that depth, he'd be squashed before he could even say "squashed".

For example:

Crab gets sucked into 1/4-inch slit in deep sea pipe.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3759720759650727608
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 02:30:59 AM by PeterTheAleut »
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline ZealousZeal

• Ima Xanthippe
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
Re: Is This Real Life?
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 10:50:09 PM »
From the article:

"Just arrived at the ocean's deepest [point]. Hitting bottom never felt so good. Can't wait to share what I'm seeing [with] you," Cameron said in the tweet.

What in the good hell?  Am I to understand that he actually managed to send a tweet from 7 miles underwater but I cannot manage to get cell reception on my campus? I'm bitter.
O Virgin pure, immaculate, O Lady Theotokos
Rejoice, O unwedded Bride!
O fleece bedewed with every grace, O Virgin Queen and Mother
Rejoice, O unwedded Bride!