OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 30, 2014, 12:14:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2012 Global Atheist Convention  (Read 538 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: March 29, 2012, 08:37:44 PM »

A Celebration of Reason: 2012 Global Atheist Convention; Melbourne, Australia; 13-15 April.
As an internationally recognised event, the 2012 Global Atheist Convention promises to generate a ground-swell of enthusiastic support for rational thoughts and ideals. On this occasion, thousands of free thinking individuals will descend upon Melbourne from all over Australia and the world. This will provide an excellent opportunity for local atheist, humanist and secular organisations to host their own gatherings to help build community and provide a rallying point for like-minded individuals.Suggested events include debates, community forums, workshops, panel discussions, social events and artistic performances to be held before or after the Convention.

Aussie atheism? Who woulda thunk it?

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 08:40:05 PM »

A Celebration of Reason: 2012 Global Atheist Convention; Melbourne, Australia; 13-15 April.
As an internationally recognised event, the 2012 Global Atheist Convention promises to generate a ground-swell of enthusiastic support for rational thoughts and ideals. On this occasion, thousands of free thinking individuals will descend upon Melbourne from all over Australia and the world. This will provide an excellent opportunity for local atheist, humanist and secular organisations to host their own gatherings to help build community and provide a rallying point for like-minded individuals.Suggested events include debates, community forums, workshops, panel discussions, social events and artistic performances to be held before or after the Convention.

Aussie atheism? Who woulda thunk it?

Lawl at freethinking.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 09:18:30 PM »

Why would anyone go to an athiest convention? What are you going to talk about? Your aberrational insignificance? Yay, life is meaningless, let's get angry at people who think otherwise!

I'm going to need this.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 09:25:43 PM »

These conventions never end well.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 09:36:43 PM »

Wish I could be there... *sigh*

(for the australian women)

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 09:49:02 PM »

I'll send you some.

Ever heard the word "bogan"?

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 09:50:23 PM »

That reminds me, I haven't seen bogdan post for awhile. Hope he's ok.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 09:52:04 PM »

I'll send you some.

Ever heard the word "bogan"?

I googled it, or wikied it via google I guess.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 04:50:53 AM »

They need to do this in Pittsburgh next year... twould be awesome!

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 05:16:49 AM »

Provided the fact that Atheism is usually defined as non-belief they sure make a whole a lot of fuss over their non-belief.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 05:17:46 AM by Alpo » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2012, 05:33:29 AM »

Provided the fact that Atheism is usually defined as non-belief they sure make a whole a lot of fuss over their non-belief.

It's almost like billions disagree with them, and even hold it against them, and they want to encourage each other, discuss paths for moving forward, etc.

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2012, 05:37:21 AM »

It's almost like billions disagree with them, and even hold it against them, and they want to encourage each other, discuss paths for moving forward, etc.

Those who disagree with Atheists usually admit out lout that they most certainly believe in something. Sound more reasonable to me to make a fuss over something that one believes in rather than to make a fuss over something that one doesn't believe in.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2012, 05:41:48 AM »

Those who disagree with Atheists usually admit out lout that they most certainly believe in something. Sound more reasonable to me to make a fuss over something that one believes in rather than to make a fuss over something that one doesn't believe in.

If you didn't believe in UFOs, but the majority of people on earth did, and you were denied employment and such because you didn't believe, and you were derided by family members, and forced to put up with constant condescending comments about how you just aren't intelligent enough to see the truth, and oodles of money were being spent on belief in UFOs unnecessarily, and people who believed in UFOs were holding back real research in science, and... well anyway, if you were in such a position as a non-believer it might not seem strange to organize with other non-believers and see what you could do about the perceived problem.

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2012, 06:03:38 AM »

If you didn't believe in UFOs, but the majority of people on earth did, and you were denied employment and such because you didn't believe, and you were derided by family members, and forced to put up with constant condescending comments about how you just aren't intelligent enough to see the truth, and oodles of money were being spent on belief in UFOs unnecessarily, and people who believed in UFOs were holding back real research in science, and... well anyway, if you were in such a position as a non-believer it might not seem strange to organize with other non-believers and see what you could do about the perceived problem.

So this convention is all about how to spread tolerance to Atheists and to Science and not about how dangerous religion is and how right Atheists are?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 06:04:58 AM by Alpo » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2012, 06:08:43 AM »

So this convention is all about how to spread tolerance to Atheists and to Science and not about how dangerous religion is and how right Atheists are?

I imagine that it's many things to many people. I imagine these are some of the reasons for some of the people.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: