OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 02:59:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: After rectory fire, pastor's faith unshaken  (Read 469 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« on: March 06, 2012, 07:44:56 PM »

NANTICOKE - As the Rev. Adam Sexton consecrated the communion bread Sunday at church, his eldest son rushed to the altar to tell him their home next door was engulfed in flames. Without hesitation, Sexton knew what to do: continue the service.

Read more: http://citizensvoice.com/news/after-rectory-fire-pastor-s-faith-unshaken-1.1281529#ixzz1oNqeWNOl
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 07:59:15 PM »

Lord have mercy!  Cry Cry

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 10:50:11 AM »

Please check out Fr Andrew Damick's blog for more information.

"His daily life is one of giving. He is a father to eight children, and not all of them are the biological offspring of his marriage—some of them were simply others’ children who had a need, and he opened up his family to them and made them his own. It didn’t matter what it cost. It didn’t matter that he started having to drive an oversized, multi-passenger van. It’s just who he is.

He also serves as the chaplain for his town’s fire department. So you can imagine what must have been in their hearts as they answered the call for one of their own. No one was hurt, thank God.

So I am asking that you give to this now-homeless family of God according to your ability and according to how God purposes in your heart. Our alma mater, St. Tikhon’s Orthodox Theological Seminary, has set up a fund to assist them in this exceptionally difficult time.

You can send checks (annotated with “Sexton Relief Fund”) to:

St. Tikhon’s Seminary
P.O. Box 130
South Canaan, PA 18459
St. Tikhon’s is a fully registered non-profit, so I imagine donations made to this cause will indeed be tax-deductible. Of course, that shouldn’t matter at all, really.

Monetary donations may be sent to the Father Adam Sexton Fire Fund, c/o Vantage Trust Federal Credit Union, 158 S. Market St., Nanticoke, PA 18634.

Clothing, toys and other household items may be dropped off at Nanticoke Fire Headquarters, 2 E. Ridge St., Nanticoke, PA 18634. Those with questions may call fire headquarters at 570-735-5860."

http://roadsfromemmaus.org/2012/03/05/go-tell-your-mother-were-celebrating-the-liturgy-right-now/
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 12:53:17 PM »

This is in my local area & read the Citizens' Voice yesterday morning & posted in another forum. What amazing faith amidst trial & thanks be to God his family are all safe. Lord, have mercy.

Antiochian OC N.A.
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 11:50:53 AM »

I had the pleasure of exchanging e-mails with Father Adam several month ago when I asked permission to use a couple photos from the parish website to illustrate a historical entry (St John's was originally a Byzantine GC temple) on an online EC/OC parish directory that ByzCath hosts. Father was most gracious in granting my request, very grateful for some details that I was able to provide on the early history of the church, and told me that, if I needed photos of any of the EC churches in the area, he'd be glad to take them.

Prayers of gratitude for the safety of Father Adam, Matushka Angie, and their beautiful family and may God grant speedy resolution to their housing and other material needs.

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: