OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 05:00:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Breakfast help  (Read 1266 times) Average Rating: 0
Priolo Gargallo

Faith: Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Heritage~ Italo Greek; attending OCA

« on: March 07, 2012, 11:31:16 PM »

Hello, I've decided to fast this Great Lent, and need help with some ideas for breakfast that are not cereal or something common. Any help is greatly appreciated, many years!

Most holy Theotokos, save us!
IXOYE
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 11:42:31 PM »

One might have fruits like Bananas, Oranges, Apples, etc.
LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 11:51:30 PM »

Olives.

Bread. Plain, or, on days where oil is allowed, sprinkled with, or dipped in oil, or oil and vinegar, with or without dried herbs or a bit of sugar on top.  Accompanied with black tea, herbal tea, or black coffee. Very traditional among Mediterraneans, even when it isn't Lent.
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 11:57:10 PM »

Tomatoes too!

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
LBK
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 12:00:50 AM »

Tomatoes too!

They might not be in season everywhere in the world. But, if available, sprinkled with oil and dried herbs make a delicious Lenten sandwich.
Jonathan Gress
Warned
Archon

Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 12:15:33 AM »

Or just use almond milk. Goes great with granola IMO.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 12:15:53 AM »

Hello, I've decided to fast this Great Lent, and need help with some ideas for breakfast that are not cereal or something common. Any help is greatly appreciated, many years!

Sweet Potato or a Yam

Banana with Almond or Peanut Butter poured over it

Coconut Milk

Coffee and a cigarette Smiley

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 12:26:21 AM »

Toasted bagel

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 12:30:17 AM »

Handful of nuts!  ...and a cup of coffee!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 12:55:37 AM »

I do not eat breakfast, but there are fast-compliant bagel that I have for dessert on occasion (including blueberry, cinnamon-raisin, plain).

I have found cheap bread machines useful for lent. I think all bread machines make lousy bread, but they do allow you to make a dough ready at the time that you need it (in the morning, for example) and precise measurements are not needed since you can make the appropriate adjustments during the final kneading by hand. Usually I make cinnamon-raisin or cinnamon-apple sticky buns but there is no limitation. You can use canned pie filling if you want to minimize your effort.
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 01:00:46 AM »

Like.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 01:23:29 AM »

you could make yourself a lenten pound cake filled with apples.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 01:32:34 AM »

I do not eat breakfast, but there are fast-compliant bagel that I have for dessert on occasion (including blueberry, cinnamonraisin, plain).

Fixed that.  Raisins ought to be thrown away or fed to animals.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 02:34:36 AM »

That sounds good.  Recipe?

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 03:36:12 AM »

That sounds good.  Recipe?
Try this one:

http://www.joyofbaking.com/PoundCake.html

Replace the eggs and milk and b utter with a 16 oz. can of pumpkin puree, and add cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, coriander, etc.

Add the pumpkin puree to the dry ingredients until you get a workable moist dough/batter. Then freeze/save the rest of your can.

As for the apple, cut it into thin wedges, pour half your dough in the pan, add the slices vertically, then pour the rest on.

Should work.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 03:38:05 AM by NicholasMyra » Logged

if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2012, 08:53:03 AM »

I eat rye bread with a bit of oilless hummus and an apple or some other fruit.

Olives.

Bread. Plain, or, on days where oil is allowed, sprinkled with, or dipped in oil, or oil and vinegar, with or without dried herbs or a bit of sugar on top.  Accompanied with black tea, herbal tea, or black coffee. Very traditional among Mediterraneans, even when it isn't Lent.

Thanks for an idea. I might want to try that some day. Smiley
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 08:55:59 AM by Alpo » Logged
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2012, 09:28:31 AM »

Tomatoes too!

They might not be in season everywhere in the world. But, if available, sprinkled with oil and dried herbs make a delicious Lenten sandwich.

At least in the United States, there is one tomato variety that is available year around and is vastly superior to all tomatoes that are not home grown. It is called "Campari".

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2012, 09:33:46 AM »

Granola bars are tasty.    Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2012, 09:42:02 AM »

Coffee and a cigarette
Oh man, I miss the days......

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
mark thomas

Faith: orthodox
Jurisdiction: antioch

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2012, 11:09:55 AM »

I often have hot cereal, no milk, with maple syrup for flavoring.

For a treat, I like German potato pancakes, using Ener-G egg substitute. I didn't see a recipe exactly like mine on-line (but many are close). Serve with apple sauce for lent.

Tofu Scramble, easy & good (I actually enjoy tofu dishes) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRfPkJC2fJ4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sometimes I like soup, especially Miso soup, for breakfast.

"Who touches, is also touched"
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2012, 11:36:54 AM »

Coffee and a cigarette

PP

A few years ago I drove my son to his first day of High School. As we rounded the corner there was a petite  young girl standing just outside the school smoking a cigarette and hold a really big cup of Starbucks Coffee..... getting fortified for the day, I guess.

Quite the sight.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Jonathan Gress
Warned
Archon

Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2012, 11:38:13 AM »

Coffee and a cigarette

PP

Cigarette? Is outrage!
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2012, 12:31:30 PM »

I do not eat breakfast, but there are fast-compliant bagel that I have for dessert on occasion (including blueberry, cinnamonraisin, plain).

You just inspired me James. I was given a gift of about 2 lbs of fresh Frutti di Mare/Seafood Mix (squid rings, mussels, octopus, shrimp; I will have to separate out the imitation crab logs). I am going to see what it is like with raisins, apples, cinnamon, carrots, celery, parsley, onions, as part of a fried rice dressing.

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2012, 01:46:46 PM »

You just inspired me James. I was given a gift of about 2 lbs of fresh Frutti di Mare/Seafood Mix (squid rings, mussels, octopus, shrimp; I will have to separate out the imitation crab logs). I am going to see what it is like with raisins, apples, cinnamon, carrots, celery, parsley, onions, as part of a fried rice dressing.

Glad I could be of service.

arnI

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2012, 07:03:47 PM »

A grocery store nearby sells Cross Buns throughout western Lent, but of course, I realize that these buns may not be available in stores in all regions. These Cross Buns are Lent friendly (no dairy and such), but can not pass the allergy test because they are prepared in the same area and equipment as goods that do contain those ingredients. I am told that these Cross buns are an acquired taste, but I enjoy them for breakfast.

Grant me to see my own errors and not to judge my brother
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2012, 07:52:50 PM »

Toasted bagel

with garlic hummus

or you could eat toast with PBJ and a banana or some fruit

also oatmeal with honey..and whatever else u want to put in it.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 07:53:43 PM by Ortho_cat » Logged
nrse

Faith: Russian Orthodox

Act justly. Love tenderly. Walk humbly with God.

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2012, 08:28:17 PM »

i believe when substituting the pumpkin, as it says in the post, be SURE you use the pumpkin puree and NOT the pumpkin
pie fill...this was made clear to me at coffee hour last sunday...just passing it along...

i enjoy my quaker oat squares with fruit and almond milk....then substitute the almond milk for yogurt over fruit for lunch...
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2012, 08:52:34 PM »

i believe when substituting the pumpkin, as it says in the post, be SURE you use the pumpkin puree and NOT the pumpkin
pie fill...this was made clear to me at coffee hour last sunday...just passing it along...
What happened?

FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2012, 09:15:18 PM »

Or do with raisins as they do in Russia.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2012, 01:27:00 AM »

This is an update James. I thought my proposal would be an act of self flagellation but it turned out to be the best octopus-containing dish I have made so far (I dislike octopus, but at $1.99/lb for baby octopus from Vietnam it is worth the exploratory effort every lent). Based on my impressions, I do not think that the apples raisins contributed very much with the exception of providing complementary sweetness. I made a last minute decision of slicing a "navel" orange that was on sale at 6 lb/$1 that was curiously red rather than orange inside. This was placed on top of the rice when the seafood was added during the last 10 min of simmering. The squid and octopus seemed to absorb and impart the flavor of the orange rind and balanced the 1 tablespoon  of cinnamon that I put in during the initial sauteing of the basmati rice/onions/celery/carrots.

Sometimes it pays off to be rash and reactionary.

ps- the imitation crab logs that I separated out proved to be half the weight of the mix. I assumed it was pollack but I am not sure, it might be rolled squid based on its appearance upon cooking separately.
mark thomas

Faith: orthodox
Jurisdiction: antioch

« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2012, 02:35:24 AM »

This is an update James. I thought my proposal would be an act of self flag
ellation but it turned out to be the best octopus-containing dish I have made so far (I dislike octopus, but at $1.99/lb for baby octopus from Vietnam it is worth the exploratory effort every lent). Based on my impressions, I do not think that the apples raisins contributed very much with the exception of providing complementary sweetness. I made a last minute decision of slicing a "navel" orange that was on sale at 6 lb/$1 that was curiously red rather than orange inside. This was placed on top of the rice when the seafood was added during the last 10 min of simmering. The squid and octopus seemed to absorb and impart the flavor of the orange rind and balanced the 1 tablespoon  of cinnamon that I put in during the initial sauteing of the basmati rice/onions/celery/carrots.

ps- the imitation crab logs that I separated out proved to be half the weight of the mix. I assumed it was pollack but I am not sure, it might be rolled squid based on its appearance upon cooking separately.

Sounds like you purchased a blood orange - which would compliment the octopus perfectly! I was curious how the recipe would turn out when I read your post - I've had awful results with seafood mixes. Removing the imitation crab was really smart. I'm curious how you seasoned the dish - I would never have tried cinnamon with octopus, but with blood orange, it makes sense. Is this something you would make again? What changes?

I was curious if there were any octopus/blood orange recipes out there, and found this one: http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/cookbook/2010/seasonal-cooking/octopus-cranberry-bean.html
It uses some of the same ingredients. I think you're really on to something!

"Who touches, is also touched"
Priolo Gargallo

Faith: Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Heritage~ Italo Greek; attending OCA

« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2012, 07:11:00 AM »

Thank you very much for all the replies, it's appreciated!

Most holy Theotokos, save us!
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2012, 12:16:57 PM »

This is an update James. I thought my proposal would be an act of self flag
ellation but it turned out to be the best octopus-containing dish I have made so far (I dislike octopus, but at $1.99/lb for baby octopus from Vietnam it is worth the exploratory effort every lent). Based on my impressions, I do not think that the apples raisins contributed very much with the exception of providing complementary sweetness. I made a last minute decision of slicing a "navel" orange that was on sale at 6 lb/$1 that was curiously red rather than orange inside. This was placed on top of the rice when the seafood was added during the last 10 min of simmering. The squid and octopus seemed to absorb and impart the flavor of the orange rind and balanced the 1 tablespoon  of cinnamon that I put in during the initial sauteing of the basmati rice/onions/celery/carrots.

Sounds like you purchased a blood orange - which would compliment the octopus perfectly! I was curious how the recipe would turn out when I read your post - I've had awful results with seafood mixes. Removing the imitation crab was really smart. I'm curious how you seasoned the dish - I would never have tried cinnamon with octopus, but with blood orange, it makes sense. Is this something you would make again? What changes?

I was curious if there were any octopus/blood orange recipes out there, and found this one: http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/cookbook/2010/seasonal-cooking/octopus-cranberry-bean.html
It uses some of the same ingredients. I think you're really on to something!

Thanks. I never came across a blood orange before. I just looked at some google images, mine appear to be the light red variety. I based the dish on my turkey stuffing, swapping invertebrates for organs and lots of cinnamon for a small amount of sage, but it was the last minute addition of orange slices that made the dish. I will make it again with changes. I will know more after eating this dish for the next three days.
Seraphim98
High Elder

« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2012, 12:30:59 AM »

plain grits.

Serve with almond coconut milk blend, sprinkle with crumbled knorr cilantro bouillon cube…or mix cilantro and chipotle bullion cubes.

Oven roasted cubed potatoes onions and sweet peppers.

pancakes made with almond/coconut milk

baked pear or apple with cinnamon nutmeg and honey

dark wheat toast with kumquat marmalade.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2012, 02:36:11 AM »

Coffee and cigarettes.

What is this world coming to?

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2012, 02:37:14 AM »

Sweet Potato or a Yam

Banana with Almond or Peanut Butter poured over it

Coconut Milk

This is what I get for not reading the whole thread.

This is paleo eating at its finest.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2012, 02:39:59 AM »

The stuff you people eat for breakfast is weird.

Marc's and Opus' stuff is the closet I could get to (not that bagel nonsense).

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2012, 02:41:04 AM »

Handful of nuts!  ...and a cup of coffee!

This is actually sane as well.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2012, 04:12:38 AM »

Thanks. I never came across a blood orange before. I just looked at some google images, mine appear to be the light red variety. I based the dish on my turkey stuffing, swapping invertebrates for organs and lots of cinnamon for a small amount of sage, but it was the last minute addition of orange slices that made the dish. I will make it again with changes. I will know more after eating this dish for the next three days.

This is pure brilliance.

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2012, 09:23:15 AM »

5-Hour Energy or Red Bull. 

Coffee is vile but I drink it all the same sometimes.  A pinch of cocaine goes a long way for a productive morning.

If I actually ate breakfast I'd probably have Cheerios and Boulevard.  Fake milk just strikes me as odd.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: