OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 22, 2014, 12:06:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tornadoes' paths not random, John Piper says  (Read 698 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: March 06, 2012, 05:17:14 PM »

MINNEAPOLIS (ABP) – An author and preacher popular in Calvinist circles says it is no accident that recent killer tornadoes followed paths that ravaged some communities while others were spared.

“Why would God reach down his hand and drag his fierce fingers across rural America killing at least 38 people with 90 tornadoes in 12 states, and leaving some small towns with scarcely a building standing, including churches?” John Piper of Desiring God ministries wrote in a blog March 5.

Piper, pastor for preaching at Bethlehem Baptist Church in Minneapolis, said it is wrong to ascribe power capable of causing an estimated $2 billion worth of property damage to Mother Nature or the devil.

“God alone has the last say in where and how the wind blows,” Piper said. “If a tornado twists at 175 miles an hour and stays on the ground like a massive lawnmower for 50 miles, God gave the command.”
Roll Eyes  I gotta hand it to the Calvinists: their logic is impeccable.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 05:18:15 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Jonathan Gress
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 05:30:06 PM »

MINNEAPOLIS (ABP) – An author and preacher popular in Calvinist circles says it is no accident that recent killer tornadoes followed paths that ravaged some communities while others were spared.

“Why would God reach down his hand and drag his fierce fingers across rural America killing at least 38 people with 90 tornadoes in 12 states, and leaving some small towns with scarcely a building standing, including churches?” John Piper of Desiring God ministries wrote in a blog March 5.

Piper, pastor for preaching at Bethlehem Baptist Church in Minneapolis, said it is wrong to ascribe power capable of causing an estimated $2 billion worth of property damage to Mother Nature or the devil.

“God alone has the last say in where and how the wind blows,” Piper said. “If a tornado twists at 175 miles an hour and stays on the ground like a massive lawnmower for 50 miles, God gave the command.”
Roll Eyes  I gotta hand it to the Calvinists: their logic is impeccable.  Roll Eyes

Well, he's partly right, of course. Nothing happens without God either willing it or allowing it. Whether God is the direct cause of the destruction is another matter. Nature is cursed on account of the general sinfulness of humanity, but we also believe that God became incarnate precisely in order to redeem us, and together with us the whole of nature.

The real point is that, when tribulations befall us, we shouldn't gnash our teeth, but we should cry to God for mercy. Either they happen because of our sins, or in order for us to prove our faith. When they befall other people, of course, that is also a test for us, so that we should reach out to help our neighbor.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 05:38:34 PM »

Well, he's partly right, of course. Nothing happens without God either willing it or allowing it. Whether God is the direct cause of the destruction is another matter. Nature is cursed on account of the general sinfulness of humanity, but we also believe that God became incarnate precisely in order to redeem us, and together with us the whole of nature.

The real point is that, when tribulations befall us, we shouldn't gnash our teeth, but we should cry to God for mercy. Either they happen because of our sins, or in order for us to prove our faith. When they befall other people, of course, that is also a test for us, so that we should reach out to help our neighbor.

Exactly.  One of the most insightful things I heard about suffering was from a Roman Catholic priest from India who told me, "When suffering happens, we should not be asking, "Why?" or "How?" but "What?" as in, "What can I do to help?""

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 07:00:33 PM »

Yes, I've heard the same.

People in need were placed on Earth to see if the rest of us will help them.

They are there because of us....to see what we will do for them, or to them.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Eastern Mind
Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greece

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 09:59:05 PM »

Why do calvinists even bother?

"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 10:05:09 PM »

Calvinist Mark Driscoll was asked by a member of his church, "How do I know if I'm among the Elect? How do I know if I am saved?"

Driscoll answered, "If you are concerned enough about your salvation to ask that question, then you are among the Elect."

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 10:47:37 PM »

Luke 3:11
And he answering, said to them: He that hath two coats, let him give to him that hath none; and he that hath meat, let him do in like manner.

Prayers for the people affected by the storms.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 12:24:25 PM »

Calvinist Mark Driscoll was asked by a member of his church, "How do I know if I'm among the Elect? How do I know if I am saved?"

Driscoll answered, "If you are concerned enough about your salvation to ask that question, then you are among the Elect."

Why bother to ask the very question? If nothing you do has any impact on your destiny what's the point?

By the way, read the Comments at the end of the article. They do give one hope.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 12:25:58 PM by podkarpatska » Logged
jaroslavkourakin

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 04:44:31 PM »

I was thinking it could be HAARP when I saw the title, but even if that is so, this line is still true

"God alone has the last say in where and how the wind blows"

He also has the final say on who gets chocked, suffers the disease, is molested, killed etc.

I asked the question recently why God allows people to suffer. The answer I got today, is that God doesn't cause suffering, but allows the devil to have dominion over people. This is actually a good answer. Because what determines if we suffer or not in that case is the allegiance to the things of God or the things of Satan.

However things become very complicated if we say Jesus died to balance the scales of justice. Because if justice is so good, why is the Judge not redeemed from among the tribes? Why should I not judge, not condemn, and forgive?
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 11:43:31 PM »

Sorry this was unnecessarily harsh so I'm deleting it.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 12:11:37 AM by Jason.Wike » Logged
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 12:35:09 AM »

What the hell is HAARP?

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 12:52:06 AM »

What the hell is HAARP?

High Frequency Active Auroral Research Program

People that never go outside or know anything about meteorology or geology blame it for a range of things from earthquakes to tornadoes, to unusual clouds they've never seen. For instance, if you on Youtube or visit conspiracy forums you can find people that honestly believe common types of clouds, moonbows and moon rings and all kinds of other things that people have been writing about for 2000 years, actually are not natural, and are being created by HAARP.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: