Author Topic: How should I vote?  (Read 649 times)

Offline Sauron

• High Elder
How should I vote?
« on: March 06, 2012, 11:39:26 AM »
About two years ago, I applied for appointment to a public office. I interviewed with the nominating committee and missed having my name go to the governor's office by one vote.

Today, I received my ballot for the state bar's board of governors election. One of the two candidates is the chairman of the nominating committee before which I interviewed. I have very good reason to believe that he did not vote for me in 2010. Any reason I should or should not vote for him now?

On the merits, both candidates seem very qualified, so I do not think either is a bad choice. My impression is that voting against someone because he did not vote for me is probably not the best choice, but I am curious to learn of others' thoughts.

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Serbian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of New Gracanica
Re: How should I vote?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 11:55:04 AM »
As long as both candidates are equal to the job, I'd vote against they guy who voted against you.  People are probably going to make a stink about going the high road, and if the one was better for the job and you voted against him just because he dissed you, then I could see where they are coming from.  But honestly, why should you vote for him if he is not the best man for the job?  If they are equal, it's pretty much just a popularity contest.  Christ says to love your enemies, but He never said not to reward your allies.
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 12:32:37 PM »
I would say that his intuitive reasoning needs improvement. Perhaps he will improve with time and you can vote for him later when he is more qualified.
If you cannot remember everything, instead of everything, I beg you, remember this without fail, that not to share our own wealth with the poor is theft from the poor and deprivation of their means of life; we do not possess our own wealth but theirs.  If we have this attitude, we will certainly offer our money; and by nourishing Christ in poverty here and laying up great profit hereafter, we will be able to attain the good things which are to come. - St. John Chrysostom

Offline Sauron

• High Elder
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 01:28:32 PM »
I would say that his intuitive reasoning needs improvement. Perhaps he will improve with time and you can vote for him later when he is more qualified.

Ha!

A funny thing from the interview process was that one of my co-workers was on the nominating commission at the time, so she recused herself and abstained from the vote. I occasionally razz her that she could have been the vote that sent me off to a judicial appointment.  ;D

Offline Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)

• Merarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South (OCA)
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 03:23:06 PM »
This little exercise of power could be also used for your benefit: all things being equal, I would vote for the person who did not for you.