OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 17, 2014, 05:41:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Using the psalter...  (Read 1010 times) Average Rating: 0
Timon
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: March 06, 2012, 11:15:23 AM »

Do you guys have any advice on how to use the psalter for prayer? My copy is coming in the mail today and I want to start incorporating it into my prayers.  Will the book itself give any guidelines on how to use it?  (Its the Holy Transfiguration Pocket Psalter)

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 11:20:08 AM »

The book should outline which kathismata to read in the morning and evening for each day of the week. There will be a special schedule for Lent.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 11:25:14 AM »

The Psalter has tables showing which kathismata, the 20 sections (lit. sittings) into which the Psalms are divided, are appointed to be read at which times. Outside of Great Lent, 2 sections are read at Matins and 1 at Vespers. During Lent, 3 sections are read at Matins, 1 at each of the Hours, and 1 at Vespers.

Chances are that your personal prayer rule will not allow you to use the Psalter as it is appointed for liturgical use, but it will provide you with a starting point for working incorporating it into your rule in a way that suits you.
Manalive
Иоанн
Elder

Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate

It is later than we think.

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 11:41:20 AM »

Read the Psalter whenever you can. I try to incorproate a few Psalms from what kathismata is appointed for that day and the Scripture readings before my Evening Prayers. It's a good idea to ask your Priest about your prayer rule though.

"Lay hold of the pathway... rugged and narrow as it is."- St. John Chrystostom
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 11:59:58 AM »

Thanks everyone.  I didnt know if it was common for people to read the whole kathismata for that day, or to just do parts of it.  My original plan was to do like Manalive said and to just do some of it.  But I guess I should contact a Priest.  (I dont really have a Priest since Im not Orthodox yet and Im not able to attend a parish regularly, but I do know one and I contact him fairly regularly with questions.)

If anyone else has any advice or suggestions they would like to add, feel free!  Im just not very familiar with the whole thing.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 05:12:48 PM »

Elder Cleopa said the Psalter is like a good cake. You take a piece and enjoy it. Then you take another piece, etc. One Psalm here, another there. Read them by themselves or with other prayers. If you want advice, just love the Psalms. They'll teach you much by themselves.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
scamandrius
Dr., Rdr. Scamandrius to you :)
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 12:18:11 AM »

Though there is a schedule for the Kathismata both inside and outside of Lent, it is probably impossible for a layman to read the appointed Kathismata at the appointed hours.  But don't let that deter you.  What I do is I pray one of the Kathismata during my lunch hour and couple that with the reading from Isaiah which is appointed to be read at the sixth hour (which is at noon). 

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 01:12:59 AM »

According to fr. Ilarion Argatu it is only allowed to an Orthodox layman to say three psalms in a day. Only the clergy can say more. Otherwise the devil will strike you.
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

Faith: Chalcedonian Automaton Serial No. 5Aj4bx9
Jurisdiction: Chalcedonian Automaton Factory 5

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 01:19:49 AM »

According to fr. Ilarion Argatu it is only allowed to an Orthodox layman to say three psalms in a day. Only the clergy can say more. Otherwise the devil will strike you.

This was kind of funny a few hours ago, but it's beginning to lose its luster.

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 01:26:24 AM »

That's true. that's for Orthodox laymen. I have no idea what he would have said if asked by heretics. He might have beaten them, it's a good guess.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 08:05:02 AM »

There are many possible ways of using the Psalter. When doing the Midnight Office in the morning, instead of saying the 17th Kathisma (Psalm 118) every day as appointed, insert one of the daily kathismata instead. That way you'd get through the whole things once every three weeks. The kathisma goes between Psalm 50 and the Creed, so if you're using a different set of morning prayers, this would be the natural place to read it.

Or, since each kathisma is divided into three stanzas, you could read 1/3 in the morning, 1/3 at noon, 1/3 in the evening.

Week 1:
Sun 2, Mon 4, Tues 7, Wed 10, Thurs 13, Fri 19, Sat 16.

Week 2:
Sun 3, Mon 5, Tues 8, Wed 11, Thurs 14, Fri 20, Sat 17.

Week 3:
Mon 6, Tues 9, Wed 12, Thurs 15, Fri 18, Sat 1.

Doing them in order might be more natural, but this way you'd maintain some link with the Church's liturgical cycle.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 08:06:03 AM by Orthodox11 » Logged
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 05:14:21 PM »

Thanks everyone for the advice!  Id hate for the devil to strike me for reading more than three psalms, so Ill definitely watch out for that....

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Big Chris
Formerly "mint"
Elder

Faith: Inquirer
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic Diocese of Charlotte, NC

I live by the river where the old gods still dream

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 11:34:30 AM »

Why is it said that the devil will strike us for reading more than three psalms a day?  Is there any true basis for this?

I devised my own reading schedule for the Psalms so that I could get through all 150 during two weeks.  This logically necessitates reading more than three Psalms per day.

This is based on the Masoretic Text numbering of the Psalms:

WEEK I      
   Morning   Mid-Day   Evening
Sunday   5-8   9-12   x
Monday   13-15   16-18   19-22
Tuesday   23-27   28-30   31-33
Wednes. 34-36   37-38   39-42
Thursday   43-46   47-49   50-54
Friday   63-66   67-69   70-72
Saturday   55-58   59-62   1-4

WEEK II      
Sunday   77-79   80-83   x
Monday   84-88   89   90-93
Tuesday   94-97   98-101   102-104
Wednes. 105-107   108-110   111-114
Thursday   115-118   120-126   127-134
Friday   146-150   135-139   140-142
Saturday   119    143-145   73-76

Tasting is Believing
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2012, 01:02:47 PM »

Why is it said that the devil will strike us for reading more than three psalms a day?  Is there any true basis for this?

I devised my own reading schedule for the Psalms so that I could get through all 150 during two weeks.  This logically necessitates reading more than three Psalms per day.

What devil?

Also, it's common (er... so I want to think) for some Orthodox to read through the Psalms once a week (twice during Lent). Even if you aren't doing the full cycle of services and just do the appointed Psalms that'd be placed within those services, you'd still get through it in a week. And you even get a half day off one of the days.

I'll bet I look like a goof.

"And since when have Christians become afraid of rain?"
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2012, 02:14:20 PM »

I never heard that before.  Shocked  Huh

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2012, 10:19:27 AM »

I wonder what "strike us" means.  Will he come out of hell and actually hit us?  Or will he strike us with a fiery lightening bolt from hell?? Guess I should go read a few Psalms and find out.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC of USA

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2012, 10:53:12 AM »

I can't imagine the devil striking us for praying the psalms more.  Matins, alone, has quite a few psalms in it.

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2012, 11:47:44 AM »

The more psalms you can read the better. If you read through the entire Psalter in one day you will be better for it. The bit about the devil striking you is nonsense...reading scripture is ammunition and a shield against the enemy.
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2012, 12:00:27 PM »

I can't imagine the devil striking us for praying the psalms more.  Matins, alone, has quite a few psalms in it.

Augustin717 was referencing a particularly quirky Romanian priest's book of sayings.  While some obviously teach this kind of stuff, they are outliers.  This is not a widespread teaching that we regularly run across. 

While it can sometimes be helpful to be exposed to these rather unpleasant, lesser known "teachings," people are taking this one far too seriously. 

Read the psalms for goodness sake!

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

"There is no religion higher than TRUTH"

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2012, 02:10:10 PM »

Yes, praying (and memorizing) the psalms is one of the most important things a Christian can undertake. You will find them to be of great assistance in learning to pray noetically.

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
Knee V

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2012, 03:06:47 PM »

I sometimes have to remind myself that following a pattern is not an end in and of itself. Sometimes I'll decide that I want to read one kathisma per day so that I read through the Psalter every three weeks. Then I want to add an akathist during compline. Then I want to read 4 or 5 chapter from the Scriptures. Next thing I know I've burnt myself out and I'm doing none of them.

So I would caution you not to fall into that like I am prone to do. It's all about our healing, and not about following a pattern that we make for ourselves. When you're making home-made taffy, it will stretch pretty far as long as you do it slowly. But if you yank it too hard too fast, it will just split. Na mean?
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: