OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 02, 2014, 05:26:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pronunciation of "Philemon"  (Read 10141 times) Average Rating: 0
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« on: March 04, 2012, 02:53:41 PM »

I wasn't sure where to put this, but I'm curious as to how to pronounce "Philemon".  Can anyone provide the phonetics?  Thanks!

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 02:59:25 PM »

Merriam-Webster says, "\fə-ˈlē-mən, fī-\"

Follow the link and then click the two speaker icons to listen to the pronunciations.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/philemon
FountainPen
Is not wasting any more of her ink
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 03:01:59 PM »

Every book i've ever read that gives phonetics for it says -- Phil-E-mon

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try. Mark Twain
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 07:31:54 PM »

Do you mean in English or in the original language (pretty sure it's Greek)?

As a general principle, when it comes to Greek words, you should feel free to mangle them as much as you'd like. Everyone else does.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 07:50:06 PM »

As a general principle, when it comes to Greek words, you should feel free to mangle them as much as you'd like. Everyone else does.

Truth...including myself!

In English, I've always pronounced the name as "fye-LEE-mon."

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 08:30:45 PM »

Merriam-Webster says, "\fə-ˈlē-mən, fī-\"

Follow the link and then click the two speaker icons to listen to the pronunciations.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/philemon

Thanks, although I wasn't able to pull up the speaker icons. 

I've heard his name pronounced Fil-uh-mahn or Feel-ay-muhn.  I'm guessing the Greek is probably pronounced as Pheel-uh-mone, or something close.  It's not a big deal, I was just curious.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 08:50:14 PM »

I have always heard it said that way.

Philemon 1:1 has "Παῦλος, δέσμιος Χριστοῦ Ἰησοῦ καὶ Τιμόθεος ὁ ἀδελφὸς Φιλήμονι τῷ ἀγαπητῷ καὶ συνεργῷ ἡμῶν" in the Greek text: "fi-LI-mo-ni".

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 08:54:19 PM »

Philemon 1:1 has "Παῦλος, δέσμιος Χριστοῦ Ἰησοῦ καὶ Τιμόθεος ὁ ἀδελφὸς Φιλήμονι τῷ ἀγαπητῷ καὶ συνεργῷ ἡμῶν" in the Greek text: "fi-LI-mo-ni".

I believe the Greek there would be pronounced as "feeLEE-monee." Erasman would be "filAY-moneh"

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 09:02:47 PM »

I believe the Greek there would be pronounced as "feeLEE-monee." Erasman would be "filAY-moneh"

Yes, apologies for my transcription. I think you and I are describing the same sound.

There are very few languages in which "I" makes the sound "aye".

Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 09:22:12 PM »

Yes, apologies for my transcription. I think you and I are describing the same sound.

There are very few languages in which "I" makes the sound "aye".

Oh, forgive me! I read over your post so quickly, I didn't even see it...I just saw the Greek text! Yes, I think we're in agreement. Grin Sorry!

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: