Author Topic: Pronunciation of "Philemon"  (Read 13337 times)

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
Pronunciation of "Philemon"
« on: March 04, 2012, 02:53:41 PM »
I wasn't sure where to put this, but I'm curious as to how to pronounce "Philemon".  Can anyone provide the phonetics?  Thanks!
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline tuesdayschild

• High Elder
Re: Pronunciation of "Philemon"
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 02:59:25 PM »
Merriam-Webster says, "\fə-ˈlē-mən, fī-\"

Follow the link and then click the two speaker icons to listen to the pronunciations.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/philemon

Offline FountainPen

• Is not wasting any more of her ink
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 03:01:59 PM »
Every book i've ever read that gives phonetics for it says -- Phil-E-mon
None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try. Mark Twain

Offline akimori makoto

• Archon
  • No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 07:31:54 PM »
Do you mean in English or in the original language (pretty sure it's Greek)?

As a general principle, when it comes to Greek words, you should feel free to mangle them as much as you'd like. Everyone else does.
The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.

Offline Benjamin the Red

• Recovering Calvinist
  • OC.net guru
  • Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 07:50:06 PM »

As a general principle, when it comes to Greek words, you should feel free to mangle them as much as you'd like. Everyone else does.

Truth...including myself!

In English, I've always pronounced the name as "fye-LEE-mon."
"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 08:30:45 PM »
Merriam-Webster says, "\fə-ˈlē-mən, fī-\"

Follow the link and then click the two speaker icons to listen to the pronunciations.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/philemon

Thanks, although I wasn't able to pull up the speaker icons. 

I've heard his name pronounced Fil-uh-mahn or Feel-ay-muhn.  I'm guessing the Greek is probably pronounced as Pheel-uh-mone, or something close.  It's not a big deal, I was just curious.
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline akimori makoto

• Archon
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 08:50:14 PM »

I have always heard it said that way.

Philemon 1:1 has "Παῦλος, δέσμιος Χριστοῦ Ἰησοῦ καὶ Τιμόθεος ὁ ἀδελφὸς Φιλήμονι τῷ ἀγαπητῷ καὶ συνεργῷ ἡμῶν" in the Greek text: "fi-LI-mo-ni".
The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.

Offline Benjamin the Red

• Recovering Calvinist
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 08:54:19 PM »

Philemon 1:1 has "Παῦλος, δέσμιος Χριστοῦ Ἰησοῦ καὶ Τιμόθεος ὁ ἀδελφὸς Φιλήμονι τῷ ἀγαπητῷ καὶ συνεργῷ ἡμῶν" in the Greek text: "fi-LI-mo-ni".

I believe the Greek there would be pronounced as "feeLEE-monee." Erasman would be "filAY-moneh"
"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy

Offline akimori makoto

• Archon
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 09:02:47 PM »

I believe the Greek there would be pronounced as "feeLEE-monee." Erasman would be "filAY-moneh"

Yes, apologies for my transcription. I think you and I are describing the same sound.

There are very few languages in which "I" makes the sound "aye".

Offline Benjamin the Red

• Recovering Calvinist
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 09:22:12 PM »

Yes, apologies for my transcription. I think you and I are describing the same sound.

There are very few languages in which "I" makes the sound "aye".

Oh, forgive me! I read over your post so quickly, I didn't even see it...I just saw the Greek text! Yes, I think we're in agreement. ;D Sorry!