OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 17, 2014, 07:48:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Use of Non-Orthodox Liturgical Writings for Private Devotions  (Read 861 times) Average Rating: 0
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« on: March 04, 2012, 11:00:03 AM »

Do any Orthodox Christians here use non-Orthodox materials (Breviary, Missal, Hymnals, Prayer Books) for there devotions at home? 

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 04:18:45 PM »

no. i used to use the catholic booklet that came out every lent, coz it was nearly orthodox, and indeed, i gave one to a protestant friend to give her an idea of my spiritual journey.
but i would still read it through to check for any theology i thought was incorrect before praying from it. with orthodox stuff, i tend to pray it and then check if it's correct afterwards (if i find something that's hard to understand, and in that case it's usually me that's wrong).

the danger of using non orthodox stuff in yr private prayers is that u tend to take it all in without checking if u r praying something that makes sense. so u can end up confusing yourself about what u believe.
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 04:52:10 PM »

i would still read it through to check for any theology i thought was incorrect before praying from it. with orthodox stuff, i tend to pray it and then check if it's correct afterwards (if i find something that's hard to understand, and in that case it's usually me that's wrong).

I generally stick to Orthodox material, but this is my general attitude that I take towards "stealing Egyptian gold".

My patron saint is St Patrick and I will sometimes pray a version of the RC chaplet to him, though I tend to substitute the Nicene Creed instead of the Apostles Creed and use the eastern "now and ever..." instead of the western "as it was in the beginning..." out of familiarity and regular use, though there is nothing really objectionable to those two things which I believe are used by WRO.

Anyway I find it best to trust and stick with Orthodox material and double check anything else before using it if you are going to.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 05:27:55 PM »

egyptian gold that's free for you to take:
www.agpeya.org
sorry, couldn't resist the irony...
 Wink
it's a prayer book.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 05:29:27 PM »

Do any Orthodox Christians here use non-Orthodox materials (Breviary, Missal, Hymnals, Prayer Books) for there devotions at home? 

Are you talking to Eastern Orthodox or Oriental Orthodox?

As an Eastern Orthodox, I don't feel the need or interest to use non-Orthodox materials as they pale in comparison.  Especially when compared to "The Ladder of Divine Ascent" and "The Path to Salvation" by St. Theophan the Recluse.  

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Punch
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 06:45:53 PM »

egyptian gold that's free for you to take:
www.agpeya.org
sorry, couldn't resist the irony...
 Wink
it's a prayer book.

I have a copy.  It is quite beautiful.

Punch
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 06:56:15 PM »

Are you talking to Eastern Orthodox or Oriental Orthodox?

As an Eastern Orthodox, I don't feel the need or interest to use non-Orthodox materials as they pale in comparison.  Especially when compared to "The Ladder of Divine Ascent" and "The Path to Salvation" by St. Theophan the Recluse.  

I have always considered the OO to be fully and completely Orthodox.  With that out of the way, I would disagree that some of the non-Orthodox materials "pale" in comparison.  I have a translation of a German breviary (Lutheran) where nearly every word predates the Schism since it is based on the old Latin books in use at the time of the Reformation.  In fact, in the short time that I have been using it, I have yet to sing a hymn from it that was written later than 1000 AD, making them fully Orthodox.  And since half of it contains the full Psaltar set to Gregorian Chant, the writings of David did not give up their beauty and power just because they were not translated by HTM. 

I have been using this Breviary and the Roman Missal for my weekday devotions since I have everything in two books, unlike the Eastern services which require many books to properly conduct.  I have not checked into any of the Orthodox Western Rite materiel yet since I have heard from some people that it is lacking.  However, if someone has some suggestions, I would be willing to look into them.

BTW - I have most all of the Eastern Orthodox service books, or should say that I had them since I donated most of them to the Church which had very little in English.  I was just looking for something a bit more compact.

Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 07:53:42 PM »

I have been using this Breviary and the Roman Missal for my weekday devotions since I have everything in two books, unlike the Eastern services which require many books to properly conduct. 

Only if you're doing Matins or Vespers. All the other services (with the exception of the Sunday midnight office) only need the Horologion, most versions of which contain the Apolytikion and Kontakion for every day of the year.
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 07:54:59 PM »

I suppose a good question could be what do you mean by "non-Orthodox" materials? The Western Rite Orthodox have a wide selection of pre-schism sources to call upon and a version of the Anglican BCP. I've been thinking of using one of their resources for much the same reason you mentioned in the above post- though I suppose an Anglican Missal or pre Edwardian BCP would do in a pinch.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Spartan563

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 08:46:45 PM »

Ooops, I misread the question. Sorry.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 08:47:46 PM by Spartan563 » Logged
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 05:56:32 AM »

In private devotions, I see no reason to not use non-Orthodox materials, as long as the person using them understands them in an Orthodox way.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Malina

Jurisdiction: Russian Patriarchate

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 08:27:39 AM »

I think belivers could pray in their own words which had been received from different sources.
It is very important that such prayers must be clear, sincere and don’t containe materials which contradinc to Orthodox Holy Tradition and Scriptures.

Life is not a problem to be solved, but a gift to be enjoyed.

Punch
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 12:11:24 PM »

I think belivers could pray in their own words which had been received from different sources.
It is very important that such prayers must be clear, sincere and don’t containe materials which contradinc to Orthodox Holy Tradition and Scriptures.

Life is not a problem to be solved, but a gift to be enjoyed.

Amen.

Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 12:11:42 PM »

I have some non-Orthodox devotional materials that were passed down to me from a beloved family member (a few books from early last century, a couple of hymnals) , but I keep them for sentimental reasons and do not use them beyond an occasional flip-through.

I have an RC "Lives of the Saints" that is good for reference, and English and Spanish versions of the same 25-page pocket prayer book that I lifted out of a literature rack in a Catholic church years ago. I don't use the prayer books, because I don't. No reason, really.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2012, 12:41:36 PM »

I do, but I only use what is Orthodox from them, whether from an ancient Orthodox source, or from a non-Orthodox source with a text that conforms to Orthodox understanding.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: