OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 02:22:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Conditions for married priests  (Read 1099 times) Average Rating: 0
brother0sparrow

OC.net

« on: October 08, 2004, 12:21:19 PM »

Hi,

This is Miguel, a seminarian from Canary Islands, Spain so obviously for those who know Canary Islands Wink , a catholic.

Today at the seminary we were discussing the celibacy which is optional for catholic *deacons* if and only if he has been married for more than 10 years and has the permission of the wife, so we were wondering if the orthodox (and/or those catholic of eastern rite) had similar conditions.

Any help?
Thanks Smiley
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2004, 12:28:16 PM »

Orthodox priests and deacons can be celibate if their wife and spiritual fathers agree. But usually they would just become monastics.  St John of Kronstadt is a notable exception.

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
icxn
Elder

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2004, 12:36:21 PM »

Anastasios I think the question is whether they are allowed to become deacons if they are married (be married). Not whether they can become celibate afterwards, I think Smiley

icxn
« Last Edit: October 08, 2004, 12:37:48 PM by icxn » Logged
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2004, 12:43:07 PM »

ICXN,

I was thrown off by this statement:

"Today at the seminary we were discussing the celibacy which is optional for catholic *deacons*"

In the USA, a married man can become a Catholic deacon without being celibate.

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
TonyS
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2004, 08:20:37 PM »

If I understand the question, YES!  Marriage (first marriage that is) does not constitute any impediment to ordination to the diaconate or priesthood in the Eastern Orthodox Church.  Ordination to major orders does constitute an impediment of sorts to marriage, so a priest may not marry (after ordination, obviously) and remain a priest.  Any candidate for ordination must meet a series of requirements, of course.

I cannot speak for the Orientals but I think the practice is the same.

As far as Eastern Catholics are concerned that is another story and varies depending on location.

This folder is for Oriental Orthodox discussion, note:  in English the conventions may be confusing.  Eastern Orthodox refers to the Byzantine Orthodox Churches while Oriental Orthodox refers to the non-Byzantine Churches.  Note:  there is not communion between them.  Example:  The Russian, Greek and Serbian Churches are Eastern Orthodox.  The Armenian and Coptic Churches are Oriental Orthodox.  

« Last Edit: October 08, 2004, 08:23:36 PM by TonyS » Logged

Tómame como al tequila, de un golpe y sin pensarlo. - Ricardo Arjona

I'd be a fool to surrender when I know I can be a contender
and if everbody's a sinner then everybody can be a winner
I'll see you when yo
Tags: marriage 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: