OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 22, 2014, 12:16:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Copt Naguib Sawiris given 6 years jail for 'insulting prophet' in Egypt  (Read 832 times) Average Rating: 0
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« on: March 02, 2012, 09:14:21 AM »

Businessman and Coptic Christian Naguib Sawiris has received a six-year sentence for 'insulting the prophet Mohammed.' Prosecutors claimed he did this by sending cartoon images over the Internet.

From the article:
The ruling has left the Coptic community angered over what a number of Christian activists told Bikyamasr.com was an “attempt to create divisions” between Muslims and Christians in the country.

Noha, a political studies student at Cairo University and activist who regularly participates in demonstrations for Coptic rights, argued that the government is “continuing the policy of Mubarak by jailing and even putting these people in front of a court. It is unacceptable for a country where we hoped for free speech.”

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 09:27:50 AM »

What a joke. First Adel Imam and now this. The lunatics have truly taken over the asylum.

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Zenovia
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 08:55:21 PM »

I thought I read that he was freed?  Is he the one that supposedly dressed Mohamed up in Mickey and Minnie Mouse clothes?  Are they really putting him in jail?  Seems like a set up to me.  Huh
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 12:53:02 AM »

It was not Sawiris who was sentenced, but another person who was accused of insulting Islam.

This article shows what a travesty the other man's trial was.  Among other things, his defense attorney was not allowed to defend him:

http://www.aina.org/news/20120304191519.htm

Ionnis
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 01:00:26 AM »

Lord have mercy on all persecuted Christians!

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
Zenovia
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 09:29:13 PM »

Isn't there anything that Christians can do to help the Copts defend themselves in this type of atmosphere?  It reminds me of Nazi Germany. Angry
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 11:41:38 PM »

Isn't there anything that Christians can do to help the Copts defend themselves in this type of atmosphere?  It reminds me of Nazi Germany. Angry

What's scaring me is that the stories coming out of Egypt right now are reminding me of the stories I grew up hearing about how things were in Eastern Turkey before the Armenian Genocide.

I think there is quite a bit that Christians can do to help the Copts, but most Christians seem remarkably apathetic about it.  If it were a Christian nation persecuting a Non-Christian minority, everyone would be all over it, condemning it, slapping sanctions on the persecutors, etc., which of course is what should happen.  However, I notice that when it is Non-Christians persecuting Christians, all you hear is a collective yawn.  It's very distressing.   

mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 08:52:38 AM »

sister, yr prayers and concern are really appreciated.
may we all stand up for our faith, no matter what it takes.
KShaft

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 02:52:54 AM »

What's scaring me is that the stories coming out of Egypt right now are reminding me of the stories I grew up hearing about how things were in Eastern Turkey before the Armenian Genocide.

I think there is quite a bit that Christians can do to help the Copts, but most Christians seem remarkably apathetic about it.  If it were a Christian nation persecuting a Non-Christian minority, everyone would be all over it, condemning it, slapping sanctions on the persecutors, etc., which of course is what should happen.  However, I notice that when it is Non-Christians persecuting Christians, all you hear is a collective yawn.  It's very distressing.   

A good majority of those in power and those in ivory towers (particularly the left leaning) are sympathetic to tyrannical, murderous regimes. They are sympathetic to evil.  Its as you said they hide behind changing notions, outrage if a Christian nation uses force to defend itself or if some Muslim or Hari Krishna is being 'oppressed' then we must send help right away!(aspecially if its whites doing the supposed oppressing). But wanting caution or to negotiate or use the ever effective sanction against whatever tyrannical, lunatic regime they are sympathetic to. I mean its so obvious its funny. These are always the same guys who are opposed to traditional values or try to get crosses out of schools while petitioning for sikhs wear big ass turbans or muslims stop in the middle of a fire escape to do their satanic mumbling.

"The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the LORD, and against his anointed"  Psalm 2:2
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 08:36:10 AM »

Well in America, in the near future, poor Naguib would probably be sentenced under a "hate" crime type of degenerated law which will probably precede  eventual sharia in the USA.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 08:39:41 AM by recent convert » Logged

Antiochian OC N.A.
Tags: Coptic Orthodox Church  Egypt persecution 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: