OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 03:12:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Documentary about Benedictine monastery in Norcia  (Read 575 times) Average Rating: 0
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« on: March 01, 2012, 02:53:17 PM »

Quote from: MonksofNorcia
In the Jubilee year 2000 the monks of Norcia breathed new life into the birthplace of St Benedict. Armed with only their faith and zeal they founded a monastic community which has been attracting men from all over the world to follow St. Benedict's ancient Rule. Many of their friends have long wanted an insight into the inner workings of their life and so they have produced this high quality up to date film which shows the monks as they go through the daily ora et labora. The title of the film, "Quaerere Deum", means to Seek God. This is the true calling of all monks, the first and most essential quality of an authentic monastic vocation, as laid out in the Rule of our Holy Father St. Benedict.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djyjgbXwXUI&list=PLF9918459BD40260C&index=1&feature=plcp

Beautiful. Made me long for restoration of communion.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 02:55:58 PM »

Quote from: MonksofNorcia
In the Jubilee year 2000 the monks of Norcia breathed new life into the birthplace of St Benedict. Armed with only their faith and zeal they founded a monastic community which has been attracting men from all over the world to follow St. Benedict's ancient Rule. Many of their friends have long wanted an insight into the inner workings of their life and so they have produced this high quality up to date film which shows the monks as they go through the daily ora et labora. The title of the film, "Quaerere Deum", means to Seek God. This is the true calling of all monks, the first and most essential quality of an authentic monastic vocation, as laid out in the Rule of our Holy Father St. Benedict.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djyjgbXwXUI&list=PLF9918459BD40260C&index=1&feature=plcp

With God, all things are possible.  Keep praying, brother!

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
username!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 09:02:52 PM »

They seem to follow the pre-vatcian 2 life...
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 09:04:32 PM by username! » Logged

username!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 09:07:37 PM »

who are the dudes in the blue habits? novices? brothers, ie, non priests?

username!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 09:16:45 PM »

http://www.clearcreekmonks.org/

Here is an abbey in the Benedictine tradition in Oklahoma that follows the "old" style monasticism. Interesting to look at the various Benedictine monasteries online and see the ones that use latin and the pre-vatican 2 roman missal have younger members versus the aging post vatican 2 liberal koom-by-ya type monks.

Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 12:49:35 PM »

My brother sent this to me. I think that monastery is great. They post recordings of some of their services on their blog. The recordings are very beautiful.

http://osbnorcia.org/blog
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 02:03:31 PM »

I just watched it and its very beautiful.

Amen! I'm with you on this.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 02:03:50 PM by Andrew21091 » Logged
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 02:34:40 PM »

I'm pretty sure the story which one of the monks read aloud in english is from a vision of saint Nikodemos.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 03:59:25 PM »

I'm pretty sure the story which one of the monks read aloud in english is from a vision of saint Nikodemos.

Possibly. They actually have a list of the readings that have been done during meals on their website. There are a few Orthodox authors on the list such as Elder Sophrony of Mt. Athos and Fr. Alexander Schememann. I don't see St. Nikodemos on the list though.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: