OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 15, 2014, 09:17:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'The Syrian Orthodox Church Calendar'  (Read 1826 times) Average Rating: 0
Thomas Daniel (Reji)
Chevalier
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Malankara Archdiocese of Syriac Orthodox Church

Proud to say belongs to Syriac Orthodox Church

« on: October 06, 2004, 03:48:13 AM »

The book titled 'The Syrian Orthodox Church Calendar' released His Holiness the Patriarch on September 22nd released the book titled  "The Syrian Orthodox Church Calendar" by accepting the first copy from His Beatitude the Catholicos at the public meeting held at Manjanikkara.

This book compiled and edited by Fr. (Dr.) Mani Rajan, contains the dates of feasts of the saints,fasts and festivals of the Church, dates of movable feats for the 21st century as per Julian and Gregorian Calendars and articles related to the origin and evolution of the Church Calendar.

The Church Calendar published in the 14th century by the monk-priest Saliba bar Khayrun of Hah, made available to the publishers by His Eminence Mor Julius Kuriakose Metropolitan, the first secretary to His Holiness the Patriarch, is the main source of this work. The feast date of saints has been updated as of today.

Pages 128 (English).
Publishers: Travancore Syriac Orthodox Publishers,
Kottayam -686004, Kerala,India. email: tsop@rediffmail.com, Tel: 0481-3100179, 9447315914

For Copies of the book, contact:-
1. Mor Ignathios Dayro, Manjanikkara
2. Mor Julius Book Centre, St. Joseph's Cathedral,
Kottayam
3. Rev. Fr. Thomas, Vicar, Mulanthuruthy Marthoman
Church
4. M.S.O.T. Seminary Book Stall, Udayagiri
5. M.G.O.C.S.M. Book Stall, near CMS College, Kottayam
6. Orthodox Book Centre, 1st floor, M.D. Commercial
Centre, Kottayam

To view the pictures of the said function and the cover page of the calendar please visit News section of Apostolic Visit -2004
http://ApostolicVisit.cjb.net or http://ApostolicVisit2004.cjb.net

Source http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SOCM-FORUM/message/5106

Oh.. Morth Mariam Yoldath Aloho (Mother Of God)Pray For Us
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 04:07:30 PM »

this is a pretty deep thread resurrection... Wink

But in all seriousness, where can I find a full calendar of saints of the Syriac Orthodox Church (with Julian and Gregorian dates)?  This book seems to be only sold in areas outside the US (very specifically Kerala) Tongue
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 04:07:46 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 07:01:09 PM »

But in all seriousness, where can I find a full calendar of saints of the Syriac Orthodox Church (with Julian and Gregorian dates)?  This book seems to be only sold in areas outside the US (very specifically Kerala) Tongue

That's a tall order. 

At some point in the 19th century IIRC, one of the Patriarchs authorised a calendar reform which basically allowed individual dioceses, regions, even monasteries to retain their own calendar rather than have one calendar for the entire Church.  The major feasts of our Lord, our Lady, certain "important" saints, and fasts would be on the same date throughout the Church, but other feasts could vary depending on the locality.  In a way, this was a return to earlier practice and, theoretically, resolved certain conflicts that arose once the calendar became "top-heavy" (e.g., local saints whose memorials might be outranked by some "other" saints would again be celebrated with greater honour).  But it means that a "full calendar" is not simply going back into the archives to find an 18th century version: you'd have to collate several calendars properly to get what you are looking for. 

This book, despite the description above, seems to have collated several calendars, but rather than do it in such a way that you could properly reconstruct the original "universal" calendar or present several full versions of the most popular local calendars, it has entered the commemorations of various calendars in one huge version without indicating the provenance of the respective dates.  So, for example, you might see seventeen different feasts for St Ephrem the Syrian, but good luck figuring out which date belongs to which calendar, which commemorates his death versus relic feasts versus dedication feasts of churches, etc.  All you'll see on those seventeen dates is "St Ephrem the Syrian".  If you want to figure out what's what, you have to do your own detective work: not impossible, but that's the sort of thing the author should've done for the readers.  Tongue  It is both helpful and unhelpful, but overall it's much better than nothing. 

Fixed dates are according to the Gregorian reckoning throughout the Church: get used to adding thirteen if you want the Julian equivalents.  Wink     

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 07:24:17 PM »

Hmmmm...bummer

The best thing I found online is this:

http://www.bsmcathedral.org/SyriacOrthodoxChurchCalender2013.htm

So if St. Jacob Baradaeus is commemorated on Nov 28, add 13? Tongue

I initially started searching for the calendar to also look for the Syriac date for commemorating St. Gregory the theologian.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 07:30:25 PM »

Hmmmm...bummer

The best thing I found online is this:

http://www.bsmcathedral.org/SyriacOrthodoxChurchCalender2013.htm

That represents one recension of the calendar of the Church in India.  After the 19th century calendar reform, the Indian calendar is probably the most bare-bones calendar in the entire Church. 

So if St. Jacob Baradaeus is commemorated on Nov 28, add 13? Tongue

Exactly.

I initially started searching for the calendar to also look for the Syriac date for commemorating St. Gregory the theologian.

I'll look that up for you.  Generally, a lot of our dates are shared with the EO, and that detail helps in the detective work I spoke of in my last post. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 08:00:47 PM »

Our Synexarium is in poor shape, but at least it's easily available.  Many times I go over to the Ethiopian Synexarium when things start to not make sense.  I think the Ethiopian synexarium as it exists for us is an original copy of the Coptic where we lost some of the details in it.  For instance, no where in our present Coptic synexarium is there a date for the commemoration of St. Gregory the theologian, but in the Ethiopian one, I found it to be February 8th (13 days after the EOs).

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 10:18:09 PM »

For instance, no where in our present Coptic synexarium is there a date for the commemoration of St. Gregory the theologian, but in the Ethiopian one, I found it to be February 8th (13 days after the EOs).

Well, if by that you mean thirteen days after 25 January, then it's the same as the EO date: 8 February is the new calendar equivalent of Julian 25 January. 

Now I will answer your question re: the Syriac date for St Gregory the Theologian while also giving you an example of the confusion in the book above. 

The date for St Gregory's feast is 25 January, on which are also commemorated his father and mother SS Gregory and Nonna, and his siblings SS Caesarius, Gorgonia, and Sophia.  His feast is also kept on 20 January and 7 November.  I suspect that the latter feasts are relic or dedication feasts, but without the notation, who knows?   

25 January is also the feast of St John Chrysostom.  Coincidentally, so is 30 January, 13 September, and 13 November.  The last two make sense (the date of his death and its transferred feast).  The two January feasts must be two separate dates for the relic feast which the EO calendar lists on 27 January.  30 January could also be a borrowing from Byzantium (Three Hierarchs, but minus Two).         

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 10:33:38 PM »

Church calendars are too hard to understand.  I still don't fully understand my own Church's calendar.

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,16853.0.html

minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 10:33:55 PM »

Ay caramba!

In any sense we have something similar in the Coptic Church when it comes to some saints. St. Severus is celebrated a couple of times, one for departure, one for relic relocation, one for Eucharist miracle, and I think one more, probably he naming of a church or monastery.

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 10:36:21 PM »

St. Severus is celebrated a couple of times, one for departure, one for relic relocation, one for Eucharist miracle, and I think one more, probably he naming of a church or monastery.

Yeah, I don't mind certain saints being commemorated more than once, I just wish I knew what the commemorations were.  For instance, my assumption is that the other feasts are relic feasts, but what if it's simply the one date for that saint on another local calendar?  I'd like to know that details like that.  Tongue

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 10:39:39 PM »

Church calendars are too hard to understand.  I still don't fully understand my own Church's calendar.

I wish I understood the structure of its liturgical year, but some of its principles are shared with us.  We are awesome. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
surajiype

Jurisdiction: Malankara Orthodox Church

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 11:26:00 PM »

Mor,

Which Syriac calendar are you referring to regarding the feast of St Gregory of N on 25th Jan.  I found a reference to the feast only on a calendar created by one of our American- Malankara layman. The feast is not marked on the official calendars of either of the Malankara factions nor of the SOC archdiocese of Teaneck NJ.

Also could you also elaborate on which Patriarch was responsible for the calendar reform . I was under the impression that by the 19 the century only 2-3 rescensions were in use and further codification occurred only in the time of Patriarch Efrem Barsoum.

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 12:18:56 AM »

Mor,

Which Syriac calendar are you referring to regarding the feast of St Gregory of N on 25th Jan.  I found a reference to the feast only on a calendar created by one of our American- Malankara layman. The feast is not marked on the official calendars of either of the Malankara factions nor of the SOC archdiocese of Teaneck NJ.

The reference is in the book in the OP. 

Also could you also elaborate on which Patriarch was responsible for the calendar reform . I was under the impression that by the 19 the century only 2-3 rescensions were in use and further codification occurred only in the time of Patriarch Efrem Barsoum.

The reference, oddly enough, doesn't appear in this book.  Either I have confused something in my memory or it is in another book. 

Did Patriarch Ephrem actually consolidate calendars?  I was only aware of the change to the Gregorian calendar happening under him.   

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Tags: calendar Syriac Orthodox Oriental Orthodox calendars OO calendars 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: