OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 01:03:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: One In Christ on CYC  (Read 789 times) Average Rating: 0
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« on: February 28, 2012, 04:10:06 PM »

One In Christ on CYC
What do you know about the Indian, Armenian and Ethiopian Orthodox Church? One in Christ is a show that discusses the history of those Churches, their faith and the similar points among the Orthodox Churches all over the world.

Show Every Saturday@ 9:15 PM EST and rerun every Wednesday @ 9:15 PM EST

One In Christ Episode 1: The Indian Orthodox Church with guest Tenny Thomas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b7XtuHawXc

Let's try to post a link to each episode here as it's put online.

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 10:51:16 AM »

One In Christ Episode 2: The Armenian Orthodox Church

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dpVpZ4pwbI

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 01:46:02 PM »

Looks good! Thanks.  Smiley

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 09:38:57 PM »

they need to do away with the intros' music...i feel like i'm listening to nickelodeon or something...It's coptic youth, ya, but it's not that youthful.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 09:39:29 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 09:48:00 AM »

Looks good! Thanks.  Smiley

Thanks, Biro!

CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 09:53:23 AM »

they need to do away with the intros' music...i feel like i'm listening to nickelodeon or something...It's coptic youth, ya, but it's not that youthful.

I completely agree.

CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 08:22:38 AM »

One In Christ Episode 3: The Ethiopian Orthodox Church

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqV29opPSDU

minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 08:38:30 PM »

I must say thus far, an excellent introduction to the sister churches for the Copts to be educated from, but I do have some...questions.  Some of the quality of the questions seem very....elementary.  The oft repeated question, "Does your church believe in intercession?"  I mean, is that a necessary question to ask at the age we're at?  Maybe I'm a bit biased, but some questions that are not needed to ask like, "do you have sacraments," or "do you have holy orders."  By now, especially by the age of the interviewer (I can only guess), one should already know these are essential elements of any Orthodox Church. 

Rather, just ask about the process of preparation of ordination, the liturgies prayed for the sacraments, the saints they have, etc.  I don't know.  Perhaps, I'm being a little too critical, considering that I feel I'm a bit ahead than others in the knowledge of my sister churches.  But I would wonder, what age group are they targeting, and if that age group, if there are some unnecessary questions that a mature age group can infer?  Maybe, it is geared towards pre-teens and teens, and I'm just asking too much, but then the quality of the answers are also a bit sophisticated as well.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 08:41:18 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
bytania

Faith: oriental Orthodox/non-chalcedonian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 09:06:31 PM »

I am 100% with Mina...some of the questions are very elementary. I was actually surprised about the 'Does your church believe in intercession?" question too...and then "do deacons and priests have to be ordained'?
Not being negative, but i think like Mina said, I think it would have been more educational to learn about deeper issues

I must say thus far, an excellent introduction to the sister churches for the Copts to be educated from, but I do have some...questions.  Some of the quality of the questions seem very....elementary.  The oft repeated question, "Does your church believe in intercession?"  I mean, is that a necessary question to ask at the age we're at?  Maybe I'm a bit biased, but some questions that are not needed to ask like, "do you have sacraments," or "do you have holy orders."  By now, especially by the age of the interviewer (I can only guess), one should already know these are essential elements of any Orthodox Church. 

Rather, just ask about the process of preparation of ordination, the liturgies prayed for the sacraments, the saints they have, etc.  I don't know.  Perhaps, I'm being a little too critical, considering that I feel I'm a bit ahead than others in the knowledge of my sister churches.  But I would wonder, what age group are they targeting, and if that age group, if there are some unnecessary questions that a mature age group can infer?  Maybe, it is geared towards pre-teens and teens, and I'm just asking too much, but then the quality of the answers are also a bit sophisticated as well.

Do not want things to turn out as they seem best to you, but as God pleases. Then you will be free from confusion, and thankful in prayer.
~The Desert Fathers
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 09:21:41 PM »

I agree with Mina and Bytania. The questions could (and should) be deeper and more informative. Still, it is good to see a show aimed at the youth to get them interested in learning more. Perhaps they could add some links to historical sources in the description or even at the end of the video, for those who want to dig deeper.

CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 08:44:32 AM »

We must remember CYC is specifically for the youth, pre-teens & young teens, so it's very "dumbed" down at times.  I think that's a mistake & hope, in time, they start producing more programs for the more mature English speaking youth.

Also, they really need to drop that ADD inducing, MTV/Nickelodeon ripoff style of production.  What is it about the Egyptian DNA that is drawn to the tackiest things?  I don't mean to sound so unappreciative and am very grateful to have CYC for my children as they grow up. I just want a little less flash & a bit more substance.

Tags: Indian Orthodox Church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: