OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 01:28:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AFR: Fascinating Interview with an Orthodox Catechumen  (Read 608 times) Average Rating: 0
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« on: February 28, 2012, 01:05:42 PM »

Ancient Faith Radio

Interview with Jonathan Jackson

Long interview with a particularly articulate and well-read Christian---definitely worth it for both inquirers and Orthodox.

Thanks, Father Andrew!

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 03:03:47 PM »

Is there anyone here willing to comment on the actual substance of the interview and how it relates to those many others thinking of or in the process of converting?
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 03:34:01 PM »

Is there anyone here willing to comment on the actual substance of the interview and how it relates to those many others thinking of or in the process of converting?

What a joy, i thought it was a great testimony. I rejoice at seeing the stories of anyone coming home to Orthodoxy. Very sincere, and he seems to be well informed and very aware of what he is getting into.
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 03:56:01 PM »

I have split off topic responses that were political and inviolation of Confert Issues Forum Purpose noted above. That topic has been locked this one remains open for appropriate discussion within Convert Issue Purpose boundaries.

Thomas
Convert Issues Forum Moderator

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 04:03:26 PM »

I thought it was a wonderful testimony, too. He really did his homework, really studied the matter seriously and really had some interesting moments with the Holy Spirit. I found it interesting, too, that the Devil tried to scare him away when he entered the church. It happens, and it's well to know that it happens.

I hope any prospective Orthodox catechumens can forgive those small spirits on the other thread who derailed it with their mystifying and unchristian hostility. I've never actually met their type in church---only on this board.

It's a very informative and inspiring story, more so than usual. I still recommend it.
FountainPen
Is not wasting any more of her ink
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 04:16:02 PM »

It's 55 minutes long and the "substance" is in the first ten minutes and the last ten minutes. The rest is just mush.

I wouldn't say it's boring as i have sat through longer sermons than that where you'd really know the meaning of the word boring! I would say that the middle section makes it seem like it goes on a bit.

In the first ten minutes, he talks about his search into the history of the church which is really interesting. He said that he thought "Anything ancient was oppressive and religious" which i related to as i have had to stop myself from being dismissive for the same reason.

In his award acceptance speech he thanked God which convicted his wife-to-be and it reminded me that sometimes it is the small things we do and say that can make a difference to a persons eternal destiny.

I laughed at his view of Orthodoxy as a "bizarre offshoot of Rome" because, again, that was what i thought when i first encountered it.

The middle section is full of his "spiritual" experiences (which always switch me off) and his relationship between Orthodoxy and his acting career which didn't interest me at all.

The final ten minutes he mentions John 6 where Jesus talks to a collection of people about his body and blood, where a sizable number left and only 12 remained and shares his connection to what Peter says in response to Christ when he asked if they also were going to leave. I found that really poignant and moving.

It's definitely worth a listen.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 04:19:09 PM by FountainPen » Logged

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try. Mark Twain
KShaft

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 12:09:54 AM »

I thought it was a wonderful testimony, too. He really did his homework, really studied the matter seriously and really had some interesting moments with the Holy Spirit. I found it interesting, too, that the Devil tried to scare him away when he entered the church. It happens, and it's well to know that it happens.

I hope any prospective Orthodox catechumens can forgive those small spirits on the other thread who derailed it with their mystifying and unchristian hostility. I've never actually met their type in church---only on this board.

It's a very informative and inspiring story, more so than usual. I still recommend it.

Yeah Ive had the same experience about this board as well. Very sad.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: