OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 19, 2014, 08:13:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old and Strange Easter Customs  (Read 1570 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: February 26, 2012, 02:18:53 AM »

On Easter Monday the women had a right to strike their husbands, on Tuesday the men struck their wives, as in December the servants scolded their masters....In the northern parts of England the men parade the streets on Easter Sunday and claim the privilege of lifting every woman three times from the ground, receiving in payment a kiss or a silver sixpence. The same is done by the women to the men on the next day. In the Neumark (Germany) on Easter Day the men servants whip the maid servants with switches; on Monday the maids whip the men. They secure their release with Easter eggs. These customs are probably of pre-Christian origin....

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
username!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 12:16:10 PM »

Strange American custom unheard of; taking off the monday after easter from work.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 12:18:17 PM »

Strange American custom unheard of; taking off the monday after easter from work.

Agreed. It should be mandatory free day like in Poland.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 12:19:37 PM »

Don't the Orthodox in Pittsburgh (you know, that city that's in a world of its own) take the day off to celebrate Bright Monday with Divine Liturgy and a parish picnic?   Grin

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
username!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 12:24:47 PM »

Don't the Orthodox in Pittsburgh (you know, that city that's in a world of its own) take the day off to celebrate Bright Monday with Divine Liturgy and a parish picnic?   Grin

I dunno.  I can find out.  Probably.  There is always a reason for a parish dinner.  You know the PA custom that if you die during bright week you go straight to Heaven, that's why they keep the royal doors open.
No pun intended, that is a true belief.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 12:29:25 PM »

I dunno.  I can find out.  Probably.  There is always a reason for a parish dinner.  You know the PA custom that if you die during bright week you go straight to Heaven, that's why they keep the royal doors open.

Not unheard of. My grandmother died on Pascha,

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 12:30:23 PM »

Don't the Orthodox in Pittsburgh (you know, that city that's in a world of its own) take the day off to celebrate Bright Monday with Divine Liturgy and a parish picnic?   Grin

I dunno.  I can find out.  Probably.  There is always a reason for a parish dinner.  You know the PA custom that if you die during bright week you go straight to Heaven, that's why they keep the royal doors open.

And here I thought it was if you died during *Holy Week*, or especially on **Pascha** that you'd go straight to Heaven.  But, I guess with Pittsburgh being a world of its own, and maybe even the whole of PA, too, things are "different" there  Wink.  

Just out of curiosity, I've always wondered about that belief in Orthodoxy.  Does that mean that a totally unrepentant sinner, an atheistic mass murderer who dies during Holy Week, on Pascha, or during Bright Week (which is it, guys??) goes straight to Heaven?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 12:35:12 PM by J Michael » Logged

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 01:35:19 PM »

On Easter Monday the women had a right to strike their husbands, on Tuesday the men struck their wives
That is done every Sunday in the South after Nascar and a case of Budweiser....

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 01:47:45 PM »

I've heard the same thing...only not just Bright Week, but, during the 40 days after Pascha.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 01:48:42 PM »

On Easter Monday the women had a right to strike their husbands, on Tuesday the men struck their wives
That is done every Sunday in the South after Nascar and a case of Budweiser....

PP

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 01:50:38 PM »

I've heard the same thing...only not just Bright Week, but, during the 40 days after Pascha.

Just out of curiosity, I've always wondered about that belief in Orthodoxy.  Does that mean that a totally unrepentant sinner, an atheistic mass murderer who dies during Holy Week, on Pascha, or during Bright Week, or the 40 days after Pascha (which is it, guys??) goes straight to Heaven?  Or is this just a "pious belief"?

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 01:52:00 PM »

Old and strange custom:

Eating the ears of the chocolate bunny first...  Wink

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 02:22:34 PM »

Just out of curiosity, I've always wondered about that belief in Orthodoxy.  Does that mean that a totally unrepentant sinner, an atheistic mass murderer who dies during Holy Week, on Pascha, or during Bright Week, or the 40 days after Pascha (which is it, guys??) goes straight to Heaven?  Or is this just a "pious belief"?

No. It's a Canon of the Eighth Ecumenical Council.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 03:09:15 PM »

Don't the Orthodox in Pittsburgh (you know, that city that's in a world of its own) take the day off to celebrate Bright Monday with Divine Liturgy and a parish picnic?   Grin

I dunno.  I can find out.  Probably.  There is always a reason for a parish dinner.  You know the PA custom that if you die during bright week you go straight to Heaven, that's why they keep the royal doors open.

Just out of curiosity, I've always wondered about that belief in Orthodoxy.  Does that mean that a totally unrepentant sinner, an atheistic mass murderer who dies during Holy Week, on Pascha, or during Bright Week, or the 40 days after Pascha (which is it, guys??) goes straight to Heaven?  Or is this just a "pious belief"?

Which canon?  (Do let me know if you find it, okay?   Kiss)  (Maybe you mean *this* Eighth Ecumenical Council---http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/basis/const4.asp?)

And what about the case of the unrepentant sinner?  (Or do they not exist in Orthodoxy?)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 03:25:44 PM by J Michael » Logged

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 03:24:06 PM »

Just out of curiosity, I've always wondered about that belief in Orthodoxy.  Does that mean that a totally unrepentant sinner, an atheistic mass murderer who dies during Holy Week, on Pascha, or during Bright Week, or the 40 days after Pascha (which is it, guys??) goes straight to Heaven?  Or is this just a "pious belief"?

Which canon?  (Do let me know if you find it, okay?   Kiss)  

And what about the case of the unrepentant sinner?

Canon IV

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2012, 03:26:57 PM »

Which canon?  (Do let me know if you find it, okay?   Kiss

Canon IV

*This* Canon IV--CANON 4

"Summary. Photius was never bishop, hence those ordained by him must be deposed.

Text. We declare that Photius never was bishop nor is now and that those ordained or promoted by him may not retain the dignity to which he raised them; furthermore, that those elevated by him through the solemn rite of benediction to the office of superiors (of monasteries) shall be deposed," and that the churches consecrated and altars erected by him or by bishops ordained by him, must be consecrated and erected anew. "
  ??

Funny, I don't see anything about dying during Holy Week/Pascha/Bright Week, etc.  Hmmm......
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 03:28:08 PM by J Michael » Logged

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2012, 03:29:27 PM »

Canon IV

*This* Canon IV--CANON 4

"Summary. Photius was never bishop, hence those ordained by him must be deposed.

Text. We declare that Photius never was bishop nor is now and that those ordained or promoted by him may not retain the dignity to which he raised them; furthermore, that those elevated by him through the solemn rite of benediction to the office of superiors (of monasteries) shall be deposed," and that the churches consecrated and altars erected by him or by bishops ordained by him, must be consecrated and erected anew. "
  ??

Funny, I don't see anything about dying during Holy Week/Pascha/Bright Week, etc.  Hmmm......

No, that's the fourth canon from what the Latins consider the Eighth Oecumenical Council.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2012, 03:39:32 PM »

Canon IV

*This* Canon IV--CANON 4

??

No, that's the fourth canon from what the Latins consider the Eighth Oecumenical Council.

Oh my...Silly me.  But he *did* say the Eighth Ecumenical Council (Constantinople IV, 869-70), didn't he?  That's the only one I know of that goes by "Eighth Ecumenical Council" (your use of the "O" is redundant--or at least unecessary).

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2012, 03:43:34 PM »

Canon IV

*This* Canon IV--CANON 4

??

Oh my...Silly me.  But he *did* say the Eighth Ecumenical Council (Constantinople IV, 869-70), didn't he?  That's the only one I know of that goes by "Eighth Ecumenical Council" (your use of the "O" is redundant--or at least unecessary).

For those Orthodox who believe that some of the Councils after Nicea II are oecumenical (I know it's unnecessary, just personal preference...old habits die hard Wink), they usually refer to Fourth Council of Constantinople held in Hagia Sophia between 879 and 880 to be the Eighth Council (though, of course, councils after the 7th are not universally accepted as oecumenical).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth_Council_of_Constantinople_(Eastern_Orthodox)

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2012, 03:50:25 PM »

Canon IV

*This* Canon IV--CANON 4

??

For those Orthodox who believe that some of the Councils after Nicea II are oecumenical (I know it's unnecessary, just personal preference...old habits die hard Wink), they usually refer to Fourth Council of Constantinople held in Hagia Sophia between 879 and 880 to be the Eighth Council (though, of course, councils after the 7th are not universally accepted as oecumenical).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth_Council_of_Constantinople_(Eastern_Orthodox)

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh............................So he means Canon IV of the Council of <#>#$! which is considered by all to be the Eighth Ecumenical Council convened by ## ## the First held (or...was it? Hmm...) at Buildenopolis in Lower Grandozia. (I think that's actually a suburb of Pittsburgh.)  That one, right?  Got it!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 03:51:12 PM by J Michael » Logged

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2012, 03:54:57 PM »

Canon IV

*This* Canon IV--CANON 4

??

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh............................So he means Canon IV of the Council of <#>#$! which is considered by all to be the Eighth Ecumenical Council convened by ## ## the First held (or...was it? Hmm...) at Buildenopolis in Lower Grandozia. (I think that's actually a suburb of Pittsburgh.)  That one, right?  Got it!

That's the one, but not sure if you got it. Wink

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2012, 03:59:21 PM »

Canon IV

*This* Canon IV--CANON 4

??

Faith, my brother.  Faith.  That's how you can be sure.  Wink

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2012, 04:03:34 PM »

Canon IV

*This* Canon IV--CANON 4

??

Nah, maybe for some things, but not to answer this question. I hate to do all your homework for you, but here's a link to the canons of the council:

http://www.holytrinitymission.org/books/english/councils_local_rudder.htm#_Toc72635077

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2012, 04:10:22 PM »

Canon IV

*This* Canon IV--CANON 4

??

Nah, maybe for some things, but not to answer this question. I hate to do all your homework for you, but here's a link to the canons of the council:

http://www.holytrinitymission.org/books/english/councils_local_rudder.htm#_Toc72635077

You're way too kind (don't worry, I won't tell anyone else  Grin).  And, a mathematician to boot!  Oh, the wonders of the internet  Roll Eyes.

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2012, 04:10:54 PM »

On the Monday after Pascha,  Egyptians go have picnics in cemetaries and eat rotten fish. Fiseekh, bleah  Tongue.  More modern types eat canned tuna.

On a related note, I just found out I liked tilapia for decades:turns out bulty is a cichlids like tilapia.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2012, 04:14:04 PM »

Canon IV

*This* Canon IV--CANON 4

??

You're way too kind (don't worry, I won't tell anyone else  Grin).  And, a mathematician to boot!  Oh, the wonders of the internet  Roll Eyes.

It was fun, but couldn't let you go away with too wrong of a misconception. Wink

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2012, 04:14:15 PM »

Canon IV

*This* Canon IV--CANON 4

??

The Eighth Ecumenical Council Constantinople IV, 879-80, which voided your council.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2012, 04:20:05 PM »

Canon IV

*This* Canon IV--CANON 4

??

The statement listed as "4" (is it canon IV?) of the holy regional Council which assembled in Carthage in the year 418 or 419  that I see says: "4. It is decided that Bishops, Presbyters, and Deacons, and all men who handle sacred articles, being guardians of sobriety, must abstain from women.

(Ap. c. V; cc. XII, XIII, XXX, XLVIII of the 6th; c. IV of Gangra; cc. Ill, XIII, XXXIII of Carthage.)."

However, does  the Orthodox Church follow this sacred canon IV?
I don't see the canon IV that says everyone will be automatically saved if they die during Holy Week?

stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2012, 04:27:05 PM »

Canon IV

*This* Canon IV--CANON 4

??

I see in your list the Council of Gangra which appears to endorse slavery: "3. If anyone, on the pretext of godliness, teach a slave to scorn his master, and to leave his service, and not to afford his services to his own master with favor and all honor, let him be anathema."

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2012, 04:32:36 PM »

Canon IV

*This* Canon IV--CANON 4

??

I see in your list the Council of Gangra which appears to endorse slavery: "3. If anyone, on the pretext of godliness, teach a slave to scorn his master, and to leave his service, and not to afford his services to his own master with favor and all honor, let him be anathema."

And St. Paul, and Jesus, etc. Come on, let not the pot call the kettle black, only to ignore the elephant in the room.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2012, 04:35:18 PM »

Canon IV

*This* Canon IV--CANON 4

??

It was fun, but couldn't let you go away with too wrong of a misconception. Wink

Misconception?  Of.........?  Oh.....you being too kind for a mathematician!  Got it!  Grin
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 04:45:13 PM by J Michael » Logged

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2012, 04:37:28 PM »

Canon IV

*This* Canon IV--CANON 4

??

And St. Paul, and Jesus, etc. Come on, let not the pot call the kettle black, only to ignore the elephant in the room.

There's an **elephant** in the room??  Eeeek!  And here I thought it was a mathematician!  And it's in a black kettle.  Er...pot.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 04:38:21 PM by J Michael » Logged

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2012, 04:50:11 PM »

Canon IV

*This* Canon IV--CANON 4

??

The Eighth Ecumenical Council Constantinople IV, 879-80, which voided your council.

Did I have a council?  I know I'm older than dirt, and memory ain't what it used to be, but I shore don't remember havin' a council.  Hmm...  But I guess I *could*--y'all are all invited and we'll call it whatever you want.  Then we can void it.  (That sounds unpleasant--the voiding, that is.)  I'll bring the beer!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 04:58:45 PM by J Michael » Logged

stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2012, 05:09:45 PM »

Canon IV

*This* Canon IV--CANON 4

??

It wasn't I who said that if you die during Bright week, you go straight to heaven. And that this is supposed to be a canon of the Church?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 05:10:09 PM by stanley123 » Logged
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2012, 05:15:41 PM »

Canon IV

*This* Canon IV--CANON 4

??

It wasn't I who said that if you die during Bright week, you go straight to heaven. And that this is supposed to be a canon of the Church?

As far as I know, Stanley, it's just a pious belief based on wishful thinking.  Doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but....how would we *know*?  And I'm *still* curious about whether an unrepentant mass murdering atheist who dies then would "go straight to heaven".  No one seems to know, except perhaps the elephant, er...mathematician in the room.

And...from reply #12 onward, just about everything was nonsense.  Except, of course, reply #32!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 05:17:06 PM by J Michael » Logged

stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2012, 05:19:02 PM »

Canon IV

*This* Canon IV--CANON 4

??

As far as I know, Stanley, it's just a pious belief based on wishful thinking.  Doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but....how would we *know*?  And I'm *still* curious about whether an unrepentant mass murdering atheist who dies then would "go straight to heaven".  No one seems to know, except perhaps the elephant, er...mathematician in the room.

And...from reply #12 onward, just about everything was nonsense.  Except, of course, reply #32!
I can't seem to find canon 4 of the Council referenced above.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2012, 05:48:21 PM »

I think it relates more to the toll houses than to the iconostasis doors being open or to any canon.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2012, 05:53:14 PM »

I think it relates more to the toll houses than to the iconostasis doors being open or to any canon.

Podkarpatska once tried to interest me in toll houses.  I told him that at my stage of life I'm more interested in senior condominiums  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin.

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2012, 08:18:18 PM »

Canon IV

*This* Canon IV--CANON 4

??

I can't seem to find canon 4 of the Council referenced above.

In modern mainstream orthodox canon law, you won't find many references to an eighth oecumenical council either.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: