OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 24, 2014, 10:04:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tempers flare over priest fired over Mass prayers  (Read 1167 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: February 23, 2012, 08:31:53 AM »

ST. LOUIS (RNS) An Illinois bishop has confirmed that a Roman Catholic priest was fired because he "simply would not and could not pray the prayers of the Mass" under a new translation that went into effect last year.

In a rare letter of explanation about an internal personnel dispute, Bishop Edward Braxton of Belleville, Ill., publicly responded to the firing of the Rev. William Rowe, who has been pastor of St. Mary's Catholic Church in Carmel, Ill., for 18 years.
Braxton said in the Feb. 14 letter that "several" parishioners of St. Mary's had brought audio and video evidence to the bishop "which showed the many changes and omissions Fr. Rowe makes in the Mass."
"He mentioned in the letter that we clash in our ecclesiology -- our image of the church," said Rowe, 72. "He's right. He seems to consider the church as the bishops', and my notion is that the church starts with the people."

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 09:53:35 AM »

"He mentioned in the letter that we clash in our ecclesiology -- our image of the church," said Rowe, 72. "He's right. He seems to consider the church as the bishops', and my notion is that the church starts with the people."

So basically a RC bishop fired a Protestant pastor and the people lose their temper over it. Nice.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 09:54:14 AM by Alpo » Logged

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 10:15:46 AM »

If the excuse were that he wasn't familiar with the rubrics and needed more practice, that might be one thing. However, he is saying he didn't like the new translation, which is different. He would never be happy with it, no matter how much time he had. Too bad he couldn't have approached the bishop earlier, such as a few years ago, when they started working on the translation. I don't know that it would have changed anything, but he wouldn't have to wait until the last minute. It's too late now. A priest has to work for his bishop and his parish. This man may be more at home in the Episcopal Church or somewhere like that.

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 10:28:21 AM »

This man may be more at home in the Episcopal Church or somewhere like that.

He's been fired, not excommunicated.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 10:58:55 AM »

If only the Bishops had acted as swiftly when other transgressions were brought to their attention over the years people may have had more respect for their authority in matters such as this.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 11:01:11 AM »

If only the Bishops had acted as swiftly when other transgressions were brought to their attention over the years people may have had more respect for their authority in matters such as this.

QFT

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 11:10:15 AM »

Yes, it kind of shows where the priorities are, doesn't it.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 11:46:19 AM »

So basically a RC bishop fired a Protestant pastor and the people lose their temper over it. Nice.

I seem to recall the case of a certain (Protestant) Antiochian Orthodox priest who was fired *and* excommunicated and "the people [Orthodox] lost their temper over it", the whole thing causing a huge firestorm within the parish and on the internet and who knows where else.  "Nice".

In any event, it was an *excellent* move in both cases that the bishops (finally!) dismissed these guys.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 11:50:24 AM »

I seem to recall the case of a certain (Protestant) Antiochian Orthodox priest who was fired *and* excommunicated and "the people [Orthodox] lost their temper over it", the whole thing causing a huge firestorm within the parish and on the internet and who knows where else.  "Nice".

Huh?

FYI, I wasn't criticizing the RCC.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 11:50:45 AM by Alpo » Logged

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 11:56:30 AM »

I seem to recall the case of a certain (Protestant) Antiochian Orthodox priest who was fired *and* excommunicated and "the people [Orthodox] lost their temper over it", the whole thing causing a huge firestorm within the parish and on the internet and who knows where else.  "Nice".

Huh?

I think he's referring to Ben Lomond 1998.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 12:00:59 PM »

Huh?

I didn't take it that way.  Okay, well...maybe a tiny bit  Wink.  My point, which I think now I didn't put very well, was that there are rotten apples in both the OC and RCC barrels, and people being people, don't like disruption of the familiar, even if what is "familiar" is wrong.  And it really shouldn't surprise us when they get upset.  Guess I should have said it that way instead of how I did.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 12:01:52 PM »

Huh?

I think he's referring to Ben Lomond 1998.

No--Yelovich, 2010-2011.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 12:20:58 PM »

My point, which I think now I didn't put very well, was that there are rotten apples in both the OC and RCC barrels,

When my family went to pick apples, we always called the bad ones "protestant apples". I didn't hear the saying "There's a bad apple in every bunch" until I went away to college. Wink

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 12:32:08 PM »

My point, which I think now I didn't put very well, was that there are rotten apples in both the OC and RCC barrels,

When my family went to pick apples, we always called the bad ones "protestant apples". I didn't hear the saying "There's a bad apple in every bunch" until I went away to college. Wink

laugh laugh

Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 12:52:06 PM »

Protestant Apples...a Diet of Worms.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2012, 12:58:45 PM »

^^ Man, I can't believe I didn't think of that first.

Joking aside, I think this is a well-detailed article: Illinois bishop accepts priest's resignation over way he says Mass.

Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2012, 12:59:41 PM »

LOL

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2012, 01:41:06 PM »

The saddest part of all this, possibly, is that it will make a nice handle for those who opposed the 2007 motu proprio establishing the TLM as the "Extraordinary Form". Some of you may remember Ted Rosean's article from a couple years ago, Two rites make a wrong:

We are one church and we need just one Mass, this Catholic argues-even if that one Mass is celebrated in any number of languages.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2012, 01:48:39 PM »

Okay, I misunderstood. Thanks.

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2012, 01:54:34 PM »

My point, which I think now I didn't put very well, was that there are rotten apples in both the OC and RCC barrels, and people being people, don't like disruption of the familiar, even if what is "familiar" is wrong.  And it really shouldn't surprise us when they get upset.

However, I wasn't actually suprised but rather bewildered by the people's logic. Being a rationally-oriented person I have hard time understanding the outrage about the issue since the bishop was just doing his job. But then again you are probably correct in that generally people don't like disruption of the familiar.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 01:55:00 PM by Alpo » Logged

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2012, 01:58:43 PM »

Okay, I misunderstood. Thanks.

Smiley

username!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2012, 02:18:02 PM »

If I had a praise banner I'd be waving it!

podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2012, 03:01:51 PM »

Were there an Orthodox priest who took liturgics into his own, improvisational style, he would meet the same fate as did Fr. Rowe. It certainly wouldn't have taken five years to resolve either.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2012, 03:09:05 PM »

Were there an Orthodox priest who took liturgics into his own, improvisational style, he would meet the same fate as did Fr. Rowe. It certainly wouldn't have taken five years to resolve either.

Better sooner than later.  Better late than never.  Would that it *never* had to happen at all Wink.

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2012, 03:41:15 PM »

Good one.

Protestants after all protested.
Their very name indicates that fact.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 03:45:24 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2012, 04:17:30 PM »

That's certainly true, but nowadays it's pretty rare for "Protestant" to be used in reference to those who protested the Diet of Speyer in 1529.

There's another usage of "Protestant", which is basically synonymous with "bad".

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2012, 06:15:55 PM »

That's certainly true, but nowadays it's pretty rare for "Protestant" to be used in reference to those who protested the Diet of Speyer in 1529.

There's another usage of "Protestant", which is basically synonymous with "bad".

You'll be glad to know that in my politically world, I make sure whenever there is any contest. One side are the contestants and the other the protestants. Works for protests. Depending on the stance we make sure to to properly label ourselves protesters or contesters.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 06:16:23 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2012, 06:25:08 PM »

Precisely. It'd be a race as to who would get to him first - his bishop, or the babushki/yiayies.  Shocked laugh
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2012, 06:25:38 PM »

You'll be glad to know that in my politically world, I make sure whenever there is any contest. One side are the contestants and the other the protestants. Works for protests. Depending on the stance we make sure to to properly label ourselves protesters or contesters.

Roll Eyes

podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2012, 06:36:19 PM »

Precisely. It'd be a race as to who would get to him first - his bishop, or the babushki/yiayies.  Shocked laugh

I would bet on the Trustees,led by the Church President....they are usually younger and quicker than the older women! Wink Of course they often mistake correct practice for innovation so...... Shocked
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2012, 06:38:14 PM »

This just in: Roman Catholics $*#@ed off because their bishops are doing their job properly.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2012, 06:42:23 PM »

This just in: Roman Catholics $*#@ed off because their bishops are doing their job properly.

Get over to the Herman thread and start making me laugh, lawyer.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2012, 06:58:32 PM »

Non-Orthodox bishops doing their job properly? How shocking!

akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2012, 07:00:47 PM »

My post was not a criticism of the Roman Catholic hierarchy.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2012, 07:01:40 PM »

Alas, I can't see images from my work computer.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2012, 07:14:19 PM »

Alas, I can't see images from my work computer.

Srsly?

That sucks.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2012, 08:02:23 PM »

My post was not a criticism of the Roman Catholic hierarchy.

Don't worry, I didn't think it was. I was assuming it was tongue-in-cheek.

Paisius
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Wherever the wind blows......

Scheherazade

« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2012, 10:51:43 PM »

I'll never forget the first time I saw that phrase in my high school history book. I thought "man, I wonder why they made him eat worms."
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2012, 10:59:27 PM »

I know of one Orthodox priest who frequently "messes" with the prayers and responses to meet his own "daily" interests whenever he serves in our community. It's annoying, ruins the smooth flow of the office and/or Liturgy and serves no purpose.  No one calls him out on it (I want to, but I won't) and he just keeps doing it as he wants.  Maybe if there was some formal reprimand, it would stop.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2012, 11:15:51 PM »

No one calls him out on it (I want to, but I won't) and he just keeps doing it as he wants.  Maybe if there was some formal reprimand, it would stop.

A formal reprimand can never be issued if nobody speaks up. Most bishops don't have telepathic powers, you know.  Wink
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2012, 11:29:02 PM »

I know of one Orthodox priest who frequently "messes" with the prayers and responses to meet his own "daily" interests whenever he serves in our community.  

I can give you a famous Anglican example ...

In order to spare the laity all "difficulties" he has deserted both the lectionary and the appointed psalms and now, without noticing it, revolves endlessly round the little treadmill of his fifteen favourite psalms and twenty favourite lessons. We are thus safe from the danger that any truth not already familiar to him and to his flock should over reach them through Scripture.

(The vicar just described is fictional, but I think he was based on one or more real-life examples.)

FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2012, 12:37:09 AM »

I know of one Orthodox priest who frequently "messes" with the prayers and responses to meet his own "daily" interests whenever he serves in our community.  

In order to spare the laity all "difficulties" he has deserted both the lectionary and the appointed psalms and now, without noticing it, revolves endlessly round the little treadmill of his fifteen favourite psalms and twenty favourite lessons. We are thus safe from the danger that any truth not already familiar to him and to his flock should over reach them through Scripture.

(The vicar just described is fictional, but I think he was based on one or more real-life examples.)

A little off topic, but I've always wondered who the Episcopal Ghost in The Great Divorce was based on- Pike having died after Lewis, Spong still very much alive today, and both American.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2012, 10:58:40 PM »

A little off topic, but I've always wondered who the Episcopal Ghost in The Great Divorce was based on

That I couldn't say.

- Pike having died after Lewis, Spong still very much alive today, and both American.

I don't know who Pike was. As for Spong, would Lewis have even heard of him? I don't doubt he was alive back then, but was he well known?

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: