OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 10:35:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Marine Mammals Need Rights, Too, Scientists Say  (Read 925 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: February 25, 2012, 11:11:07 AM »

VANCOUVER, British Columbia -- Orcas mourn their dead, right whales have accents and dolphins like to have fun (and they "talk" in their sleep). Because of their special intelligence and culture, marine mammals should have their own set of rights, researchers attending the American Association for the Advancement of Science's annual meeting here said.

"Because of their cultural sophistication these are enormously vulnerable individuals," said Lori Marino, who studies brain and behavioral evolution in mammals at Emory University in Atlanta. "We have all the evidence to show that there is an egregious mismatch between how cetaceans are and how they are perceived and still treated by our species."
The meeting comes on the heels of a recent ruling in a San Diego court that animals such as whales and dolphins don't have human rights, shutting down a lawsuit from the group People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), who had claimed that SeaWorld’s orcas were slaves. PETA claimed that the park broke the 13th Amendment of the Constitution — banning slavery — by forcing their animals, specifically the orcas, to work against their will for the financial gain of their owners.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 11:12:38 AM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 02:04:55 PM »

When a marine mammal files their own habeas corpus claim before the court on their own behalf or on the behalf of another member of their species, I'll be the first to take notice and defend their rights. Until that time, they just taste too yummy.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 02:29:38 PM »

When a marine mammal files their own habeas corpus claim before the court on their own behalf or on the behalf of another member of their species, I'll be the first to take notice and defend their rights. Until that time, they just taste too yummy.
You eat marine mammals?

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 03:26:43 PM »

Do you know a place?  Wink

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 03:50:55 PM »

You eat marine mammals?

Whale is not bad, but I prefer regular beef. More tasty, less expensive.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 03:57:51 PM »

You eat marine mammals?

I've only had seal, but it was quite good, I really want to get whale but I might have to wait for a trip to Japan to enjoy that delicacy. I guess there was a sushi restaurant about an hour and a half from where I live that got shut down for serving whale meat, it's a shame I didn't find it before the state did.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 04:01:28 PM »

I'm going to need this.
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 05:09:49 PM »

Did I hear someone say orcas mourn their dead?

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong.

They avenge them!

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

Faith: Chalcedonian Automaton Serial No. 5Aj4bx9
Jurisdiction: Chalcedonian Automaton Factory 5

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 06:30:28 PM »

If truly they are intelligent, then we should exterminate them now to prevent them from supplanting us as the dominant lifeform on the plant.

We can start with the ones at sea world, which shouldn't be too challenging since they probably already wish to find the sweet release from captivity that is death.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 06:32:16 PM by Cavaradossi » Logged

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 07:16:47 PM »

You eat marine mammals?

I've only had seal, but it was quite good, I really want to get whale but I might have to wait for a trip to Japan to enjoy that delicacy. I guess there was a sushi restaurant about an hour and a half from where I live that got shut down for serving whale meat, it's a shame I didn't find it before the state did.

You know I laughed at that.  because, it's so GIC.........  you would eat whale wouldn't you?

I think mankind needs to have his rights restored first.

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 08:03:29 PM »

Dolphins also chew up their young and kick them around, for fun.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 08:03:29 PM »

They should have rights. Have none of you read the how to on dolphin sex? They are more like us than you think.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
ironchapman
A bull of truth in the china shop of falsehoods.
High Elder

Faith: Serious inquirer into Orthodoxy.

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 08:20:17 PM »

If the dolphins, orcas, whales, seals, and other marine mammals want to get together and come up with a marine mammal bill of rights, I'd consider recognizing it, but until then, no.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." --Bertrand Russell
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2012, 10:03:46 PM »

If the dolphins, orcas, whales, seals, and other marine mammals want to get together and come up with a marine mammal bill of rights, I'd consider recognizing it, but until then, no.

I'm with you there, if they formally ask for rights, I'm willing to seem them granted. But I think having to ask for them would be a good check on their intelligence. So far, they have not tried to communicate with us even though our advanced naval designs should let them know we're an intelligent species; heck, they don't even have to start with a formal written document, they could start by tapping out the prime numbers with their tail or fins, that's what I'd do if I was trying to convince a species I could barely communicate with that I was intelligent.

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2012, 10:04:09 PM »

You eat marine mammals?

You know I laughed at that.  because, it's so GIC.........  you would eat whale wouldn't you?

I think mankind needs to have his rights restored first.

Without hesitation. Wink

minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2012, 12:49:38 AM »

It was funny to see the disappointment in my sister when she found out that she did not have a actual dolphin in Ft. Lauderdale, but mahi mahi, aka "dolphin fish."  So sad...

At least I got crocodile meat...mmmmm

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
alanscott
Elder

Faith: Protestant
Jurisdiction: Wesleyan

« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2012, 03:55:47 PM »

Excuse me for borrowing this pic from you. I just HAVE to e-mail this to my vegan daughter  Grin

There are heathens that live with more virtue than I. The devil himself believes Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Neither of these things truly makes me Christian.
alanscott
Elder

« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2012, 04:05:44 PM »

It was funny to see the disappointment in my sister when she found out that she did not have a actual dolphin in Ft. Lauderdale, but mahi mahi, aka "dolphin fish."  So sad...

Working in the food & beverage industry here in South Florida I have on more than one occasion had to explain that ‘no we are not serving flipper!’ They seemed relieved!  Wink
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 04:06:54 PM by alanscott » Logged

There are heathens that live with more virtue than I. The devil himself believes Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Neither of these things truly makes me Christian.
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2012, 04:58:14 PM »

Truest statement on the internet right there. Crocodile is delicious.

DavidH
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2012, 05:00:53 PM »

Marine Mammals SHOULD have extra rights. If they have served in our armed forces they should be treated special!
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2012, 05:04:19 PM »

Why is it only cute creatures get advocates? I dont see anyone advocating for earthworm rights.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2012, 05:12:35 PM »

Marine Mammals SHOULD have extra rights. If they have served in our armed forces they should be treated special!

I wouldn't worry about those marine mammals, most of them get treated better than the soldiers and sailors for the simple reason that it's more expensive to train them making them a more valuable asset than your typical E-3 or E-4.

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Merarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2012, 06:25:25 PM »

They should have rights. Have none of you read the how to on dolphin sex? They are more like us than you think.

Is this a reference to Ricky Gervais?

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2012, 06:45:13 PM »

Dude, at least when you sin, you sin big.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2012, 07:01:55 PM »

LMAO

I'm going to need this.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2012, 12:21:52 AM »

This is soooooooo going on facebook.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
alanscott
Elder

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2012, 08:59:32 AM »

Why is it only cute creatures get advocates? I dont see anyone advocating for earthworm rights.

PP

Be patient, I have no doubt PETA will get to them eventually!  Wink

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2012, 06:47:51 PM »

ROFL no way man, I am miles, sadly, from an ocean to partake in my nautical extremities.

You've been on the internetz long enough to have never read that story? Seriously it's a comedy goldmine, the old site is defunct, but here is a copy:
http://www.sexwork.com/family/dolphins1.html  (NSFW Graphic language)

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: