OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 10:46:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chosen people  (Read 1682 times) Average Rating: 0
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2012, 08:27:42 PM »

When I was in school, my professor in a Jewish Studies class, a rabbi, said the Jewish people were called 'chosen' in the OT not in the sense that God didn't love anybody else, but that He 'chose' them to be his first example to the world of a new ethical code, the Ten Commandments. Christians believe that the Church eventually inherited that mantle, as the followers of Jesus became God's new people.

how many prescriptions to murder and isolation did this new "ethical" code have?

What are you talking about? Where do the Ten Commandments tell you to kill anyone? In fact, they tell you not to.

As for isolation, again, what do you mean? There is no Commandment that says "You shall isolate yourself." That isn't even in there.

You are not making sense.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2012, 09:17:50 PM »

What is the moral of the chosen people?What does it want to teach us?

It is a prefigurement of the Church as the people of God.

Isn`t Israel(the Hebrew people) still the chosen people of God?What do you think of Rom 11:28-29?

I believe we have to read quotes in context. Abraham's seed continued to the time of Christs birth. The new covenant is a means of restoration of the people of god within the new covenant. Not a continuation of the old covenant which were through the flesh of Abraham. Therefore the Jews have lost election and are bound by the same rules as we are. Those that are elect are in Christ and the elect are Christs people. Regardless of a blood line. Remember that flesh and blood can not inherit the kingdom. 1 Corinthians 15:50
and

New King James Version (NKJV)

28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

At this point I would like to add a verse of scripture to prove that all became chosen in Christ as a church simple because this epistle is sent to the church in Thessaloniki. Where both Greek and Jew reside.

1 Thessalonians 1

New King James Version (NKJV)
Greeting

1 Paul, Silvanus, and Timothy,

To the church of the Thessalonians in God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ:

Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.[a]
Their Good Example

2 We give thanks to God always for you all, making mention of you in our prayers, 3 remembering without ceasing your work of faith, labor of love, and patience of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ in the sight of our God and Father, 4 knowing, beloved brethren, your election by God.

Protestants I suppose for the better part have no issues with my words. Except to add clauses that a physical church isn't needed for salvation. That is exactly where things go haywire from there. Because we as Orthodox believe that our whole being is included within the confines of the church and our salvation is engrained in it.

I hope that I didn't manage to box God up into religion. I will say that anyone who calls on his name can be saved. That doesn't take away from the fact that the Orthodox church isn't mystically intertwined with Christ. That doesn't take away from the mystery that brings those to Orthodoxy looking to be filled with Christ eternally even while on the earth.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 09:19:11 PM by Tzimis » Logged

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
lost
Elder

« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2012, 03:42:55 PM »

@xariskai : How do you respond to the idea of exclusivism and of G-d being an exclusivist?
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: