OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 06:50:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are the Worst Sins that YOU have Committed? :)  (Read 2050 times) Average Rating: 0
OtherguyLB

Faith: Agnostic, but lover of Theology and Church History.
Jurisdiction: Under Myself

« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2012, 11:52:52 PM »

If the scriptures are delusional, the practice of early Christians confessing in front of others is delusional, then I am guilty as charged.   Confession in front of one another as foot washing, is a lesson in humbleness and humility.  Neither of which the EO laymen will engage in.  It also grants bonds between the brothers and sisters in the church.   It helps us to turn from sin, as our sins will be made known to all and not just absolved in privacy.

I agree to this. But then it should be mandatory for everyone to tell their their sins in public, which will often get people into other sin - sin of lying.

In general, this is not the cure for the lay people in lot of societies... Unless they become pure spiritually, there is no way you can make them better with such confessions.

I wonder what it would be like if it was not mandatory, but rather an expression of humbleness to one another.  An expression that not only shows the repentance of the sins, but puts a person below or on the level of everybody else.   It would be interesting to be in a church where 75% of the people confessed out loud, despite the sin, and 25% did not.

I wonder if the bond between those who confessed to the 100% of everybody (25% and 75%) would be so much stronger.  The 25% would see their humbleness and repentance and know of their own sins, and the 75% would be accepting them as a fellow sinner who made themselves lower.  The humility of the 75% would extend to the 100%, but the 25% would be left feeling more empty, as their sins were not shared with their brethren.   It would probably resonate in their minds that they were not repentant enough.

I think it would all be fine without all that, as long as priest is doing his job, fulfilling the canon - "the ones who sins, should be excluded from Eucharist for some time, and can't stand with believers" - then everyone will know he/she sinned and no need for public confessions.

Other than that, you can always ask for friendly advice to your Christian friends.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 11:53:24 PM by OtherguyLB » Logged
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2012, 11:54:13 PM »

Cool, do you humble yourselves before each other and wash each other's feet?

No, but we do have a Asian mani-pedi-waxi ministry, where we all go out and take care of those feet who have done so much to keep our hands, feet, and the other parts St. Paul refers to in his Epistle well groomed.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 11:54:28 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2012, 12:09:59 AM »

I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
TheMathematician
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: American

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2012, 12:34:33 AM »

Let's see

Art Forgery, Bond Forgery, Art Theft, Bank Robbery(unarmed), hacking into the federal reserve

I could go on.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2012, 12:34:49 AM »

My sins include atheism, lusting(masturbation)
You mean you touched yourself!?! Is outrage. That's properly  called "malachy", ie  "sin with the devil". Hope you got the 30 years excommunication. You're on my prayer list.
OtherguyLB

Faith: Agnostic, but lover of Theology and Church History.
Jurisdiction: Under Myself

« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2012, 12:46:57 AM »

My sins include atheism, lusting(masturbation)
You mean you touched yourself!?! Is outrage. That's properly  called "malachy", ie  "sin with the devil". Hope you got the 30 years excommunication. You're on my prayer list.

At first I thought you were serious, because your nickname suggests you hate sexuality in general... Cheesy

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2012, 03:00:45 AM »

I told my mother I hated her.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2012, 03:09:44 AM »

I do not believe the EO faith is perfect (even the EO have more arguments and schisms than a bail of hay has straw) (guilty as charged).  I do not believe that anybody is perfect, much including myself (guilty as charged).   I am striving to find something that once existed in Christianity, yet no longer does.
I kinda think that something that once existed only ever existed in your own mind.
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Nepsis or Sepsis™

« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2012, 03:12:26 AM »

Oftentimes the participant would stand before the entire congregation and make a confession of sins.
Or so the rumor goes.

Cool, do you humble yourselves before each other and wash each other's feet?

Yeah, actually we have a service for that.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 03:17:02 AM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Nepsis or Sepsis™

« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2012, 03:19:48 AM »

And once, unwittingly, had a cookie that contained some milk and eggs. This sin of mine was revealed to my Spiritual Father, Elder Onuphrius the Stylite, the clairvoyant, otherwise it would have been a dangerous thing to carry through the aerial tolls.
Once, a raindrop fell into my mouth as I was walking into Church, and I communed that day. My priest at the time told me it was ok, but I knew better; he was a heretic, and Satan was trying to trick me through his liberal ways.

For this horrible sin, I have wept tears of contrition for thirty years. Ten more years shall likely pass before I once again feel worthy of communion.

You fellows slay me.

if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2012, 03:23:03 AM »

Oftentimes the participant would stand before the entire congregation and make a confession of sins.
Or so the rumor goes.

Care to elaborate?

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Nepsis or Sepsis™

« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2012, 03:32:40 AM »

Or so the rumor goes.

Care to elaborate?
Just one of those things everybody always says, but never gives any background for. I think people read it in St. John's letters and assumed it corresponded to some widespread early Christian practice.

I could be wrong, though.

Just one of those things everybody always says.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 03:32:57 AM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2012, 04:08:10 AM »

If I told you what the worst sins that I've committed, I'd be bragging. My worst that I can think of is having a one night stand with my now ex-fiancee's sister, while we were still engaged. And also fantasizing having sex with her sister while at the same time I'm having sex with my fiancee.

I'm a horrible human being, but I hope I've come a long way.

Never been the angry type. So I had no intention on murdering anybody. Just love having sex way too much. Thing is I don't want to get married so it ain't a sin anymore, that would be getting married for the wrong reason IMO.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
jaroslavkourakin

« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2012, 06:38:52 AM »

I honestly think you don't want to know my worst sins.

I've actually thought of making a blog with all my sins on it. That would be fun.

But not so fun for you.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 06:49:25 AM by jaroslavkourakin » Logged
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2012, 08:59:53 AM »

If I told you what the worst sins that I've committed, I'd be bragging.

That's a bingo!

Big difference between confessing your sins so that you may be healed and bragging about them with pride.

So what is worse, a severely grave sin for which one has repented and has no interest in ever doing again, or a sin less severe but habitual that might be easier for one to return to under certain circumstances like a dog to its vomit?

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2012, 11:15:30 AM »

This thread is one of the reasons that I am no longer a Protestant.  Too many idiots that read a couple of verses of the Bible and think that they are smarter than the Church.  But since the OP wants to perversely (and yes, your thread is perverted like any of you so called "Christians" that get off hearing other people's sins (priests excepted)) wants hear the worst that I have ever done, I will humor them:

I once sacrificed a goat to the devil on a pyre of burning Jews while I was deflowering virgins in the glow.  Top that one.  I hope you got off reading it.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2012, 11:29:11 AM »

I was once a Southern Baptist, I'm still paying for that one!

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2012, 12:21:57 PM »

I once sacrificed a goat to the devil on a pyre of burning Jews while I was deflowering virgins in the glow.  Top that one.  I hope you got off reading it.
Former Lutherans always seem to have had the most fun.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2012, 12:26:01 PM »

This thread is one of the reasons that I am no longer a Protestant.  Too many idiots that read a couple of verses of the Bible and think that they are smarter than the Church.  But since the OP wants to perversely (and yes, your thread is perverted like any of you so called "Christians" that get off hearing other people's sins (priests excepted)) wants hear the worst that I have ever done, I will humor them:

If you could just say it a little more slowly . . .

Wyatt
Archon

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2012, 01:13:35 PM »

A priest and I were talking one time about some of the ways confession was done in the ancient days of Christianity.   Oftentimes the participant would stand before the entire congregation and make a confession of sins.   The priest asked me if my faith was "that strong" where I could confess in front of everybody... Of course, I met him with a smile and laughter.  But I have to admit, it does eat at me some. Though many sins have been absolved, I'd be curious if any of our faith is strong enough as the ancients?  But here, online, many of us are anonymous to each other (and some not), so arguably, its not as bad... 

Is our faith strong enough, and our repentance strong enough (even after absolution) to announce to everybody on this forum right here and now our WORST SINS that we have ever committed and how much we regret and repent?      Roll Eyes  Now who would like to START?  Grin  Any brave souls?  Come on it's only online to probably mostly anonymous people!!!!  Smiley
There's a reason why the practice of confession to the entire congregation was abandoned in favor of private confession to a priest, and it's probably not what you think.
Is it because everyone else is judgmental and sinful too and have no business knowing your private business? That's the way I feel. I would never confess to a congregation of people because people love to point fingers and judge.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2012, 01:36:23 PM »

A priest and I were talking one time about some of the ways confession was done in the ancient days of Christianity.   Oftentimes the participant would stand before the entire congregation and make a confession of sins.   The priest asked me if my faith was "that strong" where I could confess in front of everybody... Of course, I met him with a smile and laughter.  But I have to admit, it does eat at me some. Though many sins have been absolved, I'd be curious if any of our faith is strong enough as the ancients?  But here, online, many of us are anonymous to each other (and some not), so arguably, its not as bad... 

Is our faith strong enough, and our repentance strong enough (even after absolution) to announce to everybody on this forum right here and now our WORST SINS that we have ever committed and how much we regret and repent?      Roll Eyes  Now who would like to START?  Grin  Any brave souls?  Come on it's only online to probably mostly anonymous people!!!!  Smiley
There's a reason why the practice of confession to the entire congregation was abandoned in favor of private confession to a priest, and it's probably not what you think.
Is it because everyone else is judgmental and sinful too and have no business knowing your private business? That's the way I feel. I would never confess to a congregation of people because people love to point fingers and judge.

To riff off your idea, it also can be a temptation to other people to tell them your sins...a temptation to point fingers and exalt oneself like the Pharisee in the parable.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
jaroslavkourakin

« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2012, 02:51:49 PM »

To riff off your idea, it also can be a temptation to other people to tell them your sins...a temptation to point fingers and exalt oneself like the Pharisee in the parable.

Well if that doesn't come to tempt them, something else will, won't it? Being it that they are filled with dead mens' bones.

But at the same time it can be a good opportunity to practice forgiveness for everyone.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2012, 03:39:21 PM »

I helped my brother invade the state of Connecticut.

police
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2012, 03:40:01 PM »

I got arrested before, beat my father up, sometimes I am a racist towards none Mexicans, I lust after girls at Liturgy and I even find myself aroused by the headcoverings fantasizing over them for some reason. They just seem so exotic and attractive to me. Can you believe that? I'm defiling something inside my mind which is supposed to be Holy.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2012, 03:45:24 PM »

Since most of you do not post under real names this thread is far from confession.

My worst sin is that I've opened it.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2012, 04:25:55 PM »

Worst sins- Why should I tell you?

This sort of thing is between a person and his father confessor.
jaroslavkourakin

« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2012, 04:55:27 PM »

I got arrested before, beat my father up, sometimes I am a racist towards none Mexicans, I lust after girls at Liturgy and I even find myself aroused by the headcoverings fantasizing over them for some reason. They just seem so exotic and attractive to me. Can you believe that? I'm defiling something inside my mind which is supposed to be Holy.

You Mexicans are bad. I came to speak with a Catholic once. He had his cross on him and he told me, When you get a girlfriend, make sure to lick her!

I was also told, that in Mexico, a man has eight girlfriends, and one boyfriend.
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2012, 05:13:07 PM »

You Mexicans are bad. I came to speak with a Catholic once. He had his cross on him and he told me, When you get a girlfriend, make sure to lick her!

I was also told, that in Mexico, a man has eight girlfriends, and one boyfriend.

Surrealismus totallus.
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #73 on: February 25, 2012, 05:19:21 PM »

Surrealismus totallus.

You have no idea how long I've been laughing because of jaro. From about the time after reading he gave up conscious thought, till well I haven't stopped.

Jaro's star is rising.

Oh yeah, which sin was worse, the first time you opened this thread or the last time?

Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #74 on: February 25, 2012, 05:21:43 PM »

I think that this thread is truly inappropriate as we enter Great Lent. Since we are but a few hours from Great Vespers and thus the Sunday of Forgiveness, I have had it and cannot moderate this thread anymore. I am therefore locking it until after Bright Week. Please forgive my weakness. Second Chance

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: