OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 06:15:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ***OC.NET CLEANUP***  (Read 3133 times) Average Rating: 0
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« on: October 05, 2004, 11:58:33 AM »

On Tuesday, October 12, 2004, I will be doing cleanup and optimization of the board that will reduce our database overhead as well as decreasing bandwidth utilization.

Therefore, on Oct. 12, 2004 at 2200 EST, I will be REMOVING ALL Instant Messages that are currently in the system.  At the time, there are close to 10,000!  I will be keeping them in a backup folder on my computer for a month. If during that time you realize you needsomething, I can retrieve it for you, however I ask that you PLEASE don't rely on that.  If you do not wish to have your IMs backed up for security purposes, you may send me a private message informing me as such.  I will not read them but will only be storing them for backup purposes.

If you wish to backup your IMs yourself, you can go into your IM inbox and do a SAVE AS on that page.  You can then save them to your hard drive.

In addition:

Utilization of avatars has contributed drastically to bandwidth usage over the past few months.  There are relatively little restrictions on what can/cannot be uploaded into the system.  Because of this, several folks have unoptimized avatars which are kinda large in size.  Multiply this times a few thousand hits a day, and you have an avatar that is sucking up a solid amount of bandwidth!

Therefore: On Tuesday, Oct. 12, 2004 at 2200 EST, I will be REMOVING all avatars.  After that time period you may add an avatar in one of the following ways:

1) Link to an image elsewhere on the Internet.
2) Upload an image of 95x150 pixels using "edit profile"
3) email: avatars@orthodoxchristianity.net with your USERNAME and AVATAR attached.  The system will automatically optimize the graphic for usage as avatar and place it on your username. It may take up to 48 hours for this process to occur. This is particularly useful if you have a large image you want to use, but cannot optimize it yourself.

If you have any questions please post them here.

Robert
Donna Rose
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2004, 12:51:54 PM »

No questions....just a heartwarming Thank You for all of your hard work, Cap'n Wink MUAH

hmmmm...
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2004, 01:57:46 PM »

Oh NOOOO!!!! NOT MY PRECIOUS IMS!!! OH the INSANITY!!!

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2004, 02:01:32 PM »

All you have to do is open the IM page and click "save as" and make sure you select "web page complete".  All your im's will be saved into one file on your hardrive.

Smiley

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2004, 02:08:06 PM »

I was just kidding Dustin :-P...

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2004, 04:17:34 PM »

Please send all unopened medicinal beverages to me, I have cool storage available, however after 7 calendar days it will be discarded via consumation by very proficent specialized personnel, all processes will be logged and photographed.

Thanking you all kindly,

JB- Medicinal Manager I

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2004, 06:24:10 PM »

I assume your deletion will include all unopened messages... a bummer for real. And after hours of trying to clean up a lousy two-color avatar and adhering to stated sizing requirements (only to have the result dithered anyway), ole' Aristokles is not a happy camper.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2004, 06:30:52 PM »

Demetri,

Again, you can save all of your messages to your hardrive, and you can email us that image. We might even save up all of the avatars.

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2004, 10:02:43 PM »

Will avatars like mine still be permitted?

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2004, 10:09:05 PM »

Yes, it will still be allowed, as we aren't trying to cut back on freedom of expression, we are just trying to regularlize avatar usage and make it more "lean" in bandwith usage Smiley

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Arystarcus
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2004, 10:10:33 PM »

I was wondering if there be new avatars to choose from when the site is updated, or will you have select ones that people can choose from, like the eCafe?

While I'm at it, I haven't seen the miraculous floating icon of Christ in the past coupla days - has it been disabled?

Just wondering,
Aaron
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2004, 11:32:22 PM »

Yes, it will still be allowed, as we aren't trying to cut back on freedom of expression, we are just trying to regularlize avatar usage and make it more "lean" in bandwith usage Smiley

Anastasios

Thank you.  Well, my present avatar doesn't dance, sing or put out the cat, so I hope it's lean enough even if Gollum called Sam a "fat Hobbit"  Cheesy

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2004, 11:33:27 PM »

While I'm at it, I haven't seen the miraculous floating icon of Christ in the past coupla days - has it been disabled?

Just wondering,
Aaron

It drifted past me as I was writing a PM an hour or so ago.

Ebor

prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2004, 02:14:54 AM »

All you have to do is open the IM page and click "save as" and make sure you select "web page complete".  All your im's will be saved into one file on your hardrive.
The only way I can see to save my im's is to open each one individually and save the text of each individually. I cannot see any option which allows me to do a bulk dump of all my im's in one go. Is there something I'm missing? Is this another IE6.0 only feature? Sad

John.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2004, 10:29:29 AM »

If you click on "you have X messages" the screen it takes you to should have a list of the headers of your messages. If you scroll below that, you should see all of your im's listed individually as one page.  If you don't see that I can log onto your account using a different browswer--although that should make no difference really. What are you using?

Anastasios
« Last Edit: October 06, 2004, 10:33:56 AM by anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2004, 01:35:46 PM »

You have to go to your IM preferences and enable the "viewlist" to get all the messages to show up in a list.
Strelets
Стрелец
Elder

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2004, 11:21:19 PM »

Are the system changes resizing the width x height ratio?  My avatar is linked to the image and it's 90x128, but today it's showing up slightly flattened and distorted.

"The creed is very simple, and here is what it is: to believe that there is nothing more beautiful, more courageous, and more perfect than Christ; and there not only isn't, but I tell myself with a jealous love, there cannot be." ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky
Strelets
Стрелец
Elder

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2004, 11:23:52 PM »

I swapped avatars, as it does appear the system is resizing images to 95x100.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2004, 12:23:42 PM by Strelets » Logged

"The creed is very simple, and here is what it is: to believe that there is nothing more beautiful, more courageous, and more perfect than Christ; and there not only isn't, but I tell myself with a jealous love, there cannot be." ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky
prodromos
OC.net guru

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2004, 04:32:40 AM »

You have to go to your IM preferences and enable the "viewlist" to get all the messages to show up in a list.

Thanks Keble, that was it Smiley.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2004, 05:08:41 PM »

REMINDER: tomorrow we erase the private message stockpiles. Get yours saved ASAP! Thanks!

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2004, 06:52:38 PM »

And don't forget to go to your Outbox (if you use the feature) and check to see if there are any unopened messages you've sent. You'll probably need to send (after re-composition) them again. Unless Bobby figures out how to '86' only 'read' messages, in which case, ignore this.

Demetri

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2004, 10:31:37 PM »

There is a "read" and "unread" flag that each private message gets.

Unfortunately, unless you actually and visibly CLICK on the PM once you are in your inbox, it will not register the message as "read".

As I browse through the database, I note that many private messages are very old and are still marked as "unread."  

If you'd like, and/or are lazy (don't worry, I wont tell) I can send you an HTML file that has all your inbox/outbox listed on one page (don't worry I won't read.) Just send me a PM (just make sure I get it before 13 October 2004.

Robert
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2004, 09:38:58 AM »

I've deleted all the avatars and placed the new restrictions on size.

You can go ahead and follow the directions I specified above in the first post of this thread in order to get your avatars going again.

Thanks for being patient.

Robert
Strelets
Стрелец
Elder

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2004, 04:32:53 PM »

I take it the floating icon/OC.net indulgences scheme was discarded?  Good riddance!  Darn Latin infestations!  Bah!

Arystarcus
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2004, 11:35:38 PM »

The Floating icon is no more?  Shocked

Awww snap, and I was up to 20 oc.net points......

Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2004, 12:11:11 AM »

Down for modifications Wink

R
Strelets
Стрелец
Elder

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2004, 09:29:33 AM »

Innovations upon Latin innovations!  Is even worse!

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2004, 10:18:44 PM »

Thanks for your hard work, Cap't.  But now, since other people have their handles in l337 or cyrillic or greek letters....can I have mine in Cirth or Tengwar?

Grin

Ebor (working on getting Sam back)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2004, 10:19:38 PM by Ebor » Logged

spiros

OC.net

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2004, 10:25:35 PM »

I have been gone for a bit, but losing all of my IM files is a small price to pay for the tradeoff of no more LLAMA avatars. Thank you !!

Official Resident of 5th Century Cyprus
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: