Author Topic: confused about whether I am making the right choice  (Read 1896 times)

Offline JamesR

• Virginal Chicano Blood
  • Taxiarches
  • St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!
  • Faith: Misotheistic Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America
Re: confused about whether I am making the right choice
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2012, 09:28:10 PM »
Then we have all the different churches who are not in communion with one another and various squabling between them. Where is the unity that is clearly seen in RC?

I have to admit, I myself am puzzled by the argument based on "the unity that is clearly seen in RC". What about the groups that broke away from the RCC, like the SSPX, PNCC, Old Catholics, Anglicans, Anabaptists, and Lutherans?

Not to mention the RC schisms are over doctrine and important things, thus they cannot remain consistent. Whereas in Orthodoxy we are consistent in doctrine but we just argue over externals and little things like any other family.
...Or it's just possible he's a mouthy young man on an internet forum.
In the infinite wisdom of God, James can be all three.

Offline William

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2012, 09:31:31 PM »
Then we have all the different churches who are not in communion with one another and various squabling between them. Where is the unity that is clearly seen in RC?

I have to admit, I myself am puzzled by the argument based on "the unity that is clearly seen in RC". What about the groups that broke away from the RCC, like the SSPX, PNCC, Old Catholics, Anglicans, Anabaptists, and Lutherans?

Yep, and they've got their own Old Calendarists: the sede-vacantists.
Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Offline JamesR

• Virginal Chicano Blood
  • Taxiarches
  • St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!
  • Faith: Misotheistic Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2012, 09:47:02 PM »

Yep, and they've got their own Old Calendarists: the sede-vacantists.

Not to mention that even the groups who separated from them even further separated. Hence the Lutherans and Anabaptists into thousands of modern day Protestant denominations.
...Or it's just possible he's a mouthy young man on an internet forum.
In the infinite wisdom of God, James can be all three.

Offline Victoria

« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2012, 09:57:14 PM »
I am confused about people bringing Reformation into discussion since I am talking about now, not events that happened several hundred years go.
Humility and fear of God are above all virtues-Saint John Kolobos

Offline William

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2012, 10:04:02 PM »
I am confused about people bringing Reformation into discussion since I am talking about now, not events that happened several hundred years go.

And if we're talking about now, one can still point to dozens of schismatic, vagante, "Catholic" groups. Sedevacantists, independent Catholics, etc. The "unity that is clearly seen in RC?" you mentioned in the OP does not exist.
Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant