OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 12:05:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: confused about whether I am making the right choice  (Read 1777 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2012, 09:28:10 PM »

Then we have all the different churches who are not in communion with one another and various squabling between them. Where is the unity that is clearly seen in RC?

I have to admit, I myself am puzzled by the argument based on "the unity that is clearly seen in RC". What about the groups that broke away from the RCC, like the SSPX, PNCC, Old Catholics, Anglicans, Anabaptists, and Lutherans?

Not to mention the RC schisms are over doctrine and important things, thus they cannot remain consistent. Whereas in Orthodoxy we are consistent in doctrine but we just argue over externals and little things like any other family.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2012, 09:31:31 PM »

Then we have all the different churches who are not in communion with one another and various squabling between them. Where is the unity that is clearly seen in RC?

I have to admit, I myself am puzzled by the argument based on "the unity that is clearly seen in RC". What about the groups that broke away from the RCC, like the SSPX, PNCC, Old Catholics, Anglicans, Anabaptists, and Lutherans?

Yep, and they've got their own Old Calendarists: the sede-vacantists.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2012, 09:47:02 PM »

Yep, and they've got their own Old Calendarists: the sede-vacantists.

Not to mention that even the groups who separated from them even further separated. Hence the Lutherans and Anabaptists into thousands of modern day Protestant denominations.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Victoria

Faith: inquirer in Orthodox Faith

« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2012, 09:57:14 PM »

I am confused about people bringing Reformation into discussion since I am talking about now, not events that happened several hundred years go.

Humility and fear of God are above all virtues-Saint John Kolobos
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2012, 10:04:02 PM »

I am confused about people bringing Reformation into discussion since I am talking about now, not events that happened several hundred years go.

And if we're talking about now, one can still point to dozens of schismatic, vagante, "Catholic" groups. Sedevacantists, independent Catholics, etc. The "unity that is clearly seen in RC?" you mentioned in the OP does not exist.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: