OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 22, 2014, 10:46:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (Current and past) Vatican Secretaries of State  (Read 237 times) Average Rating: 0
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« on: February 24, 2012, 11:44:52 AM »

I'm going out on a limb a little bit here, but it seems to me there's a pattern.

2012:

Quote from: The Star
Bertone’s detractors say he has packed the Curia with Italian friends. Some see an attempt to influence the election of the next pope and increase the chances that the papacy returns to Italy

1998:

Quote from: Chiesa
Cardinal Angelo Sodano hinted to these married priests to "make a return to their homeland," i.e. Ukraine, without taking into account that they had always lived there and that what really moved were the borders, in the redrawing of boundaries after World War II. In the Vatican, Cardinals Achille Silvestrini and Edward Cassidy took up their defense, and Sodano cancelled the order.

Shall we call this "an abundance of Italian patriotism"?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 11:54:27 AM by Peter J » Logged

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 12:05:49 PM »

I'm going out on a limb a little bit here, but it seems to me there's a pattern.

2012:

Quote from: The Star
Bertone’s detractors say he has packed the Curia with Italian friends. Some see an attempt to influence the election of the next pope and increase the chances that the papacy returns to Italy

1998:

Quote from: Chiesa
Cardinal Angelo Sodano hinted to these married priests to "make a return to their homeland," i.e. Ukraine, without taking into account that they had always lived there and that what really moved were the borders, in the redrawing of boundaries after World War II. In the Vatican, Cardinals Achille Silvestrini and Edward Cassidy took up their defense, and Sodano cancelled the order.

Shall we call this "an abundance of Italian patriotism"?

Wherever there are "old boys" there's an "old boy's network".  Wherever there's an organization with a hierarchy there are those who try to broker and influence future outcomes--whether it's a religious organization, a Wall St. business, a school district, etc., etc., ad infinitum.  So, yeah, there's a pattern.

Not totally related, your comment reminded me of something about Italy and Italians I heard many years ago--hopefully none of the Italians here will take offense.  It goes something like this: "Italy is not really a nation; it's much more like a family feud."  Wink

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: