OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 02:12:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How To Properly Dispose Of Sacred Texts  (Read 3227 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: February 24, 2012, 02:17:05 PM »

The Quran is considered to be the speech of God to humankind — word for word — explains Imam Johari Abdul-Malik.

"The traditional way of disposing of used or damaged copies of the text of the Quran is by burning it," he says.

But Malik, the director of outreach for the Dar al-Hijrah Islamic Center in Falls Church, Va., says that doesn't include burning it with the trash.
Many of the religious leaders who spoke to NPR agreed that burial was the most respectful way to dispose of their sacred text. In the Greek Orthodox Church, Bishop Andonios says, either a layperson or clergyman could put the Holy Scripture to rest.

"The appropriate way — if it was necessary to dispose of that item that had been torn or water-aged — would be to bury it or burn it," he says.

The bishop, who is chancellor of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, says no specific ceremony is involved.

"In the case of most laypeople, they would bring it to the church and let the parish priest dispose of it," he says.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 02:30:38 PM »

The Quran is considered to be the speech of God to humankind — word for word — explains Imam Johari Abdul-Malik.

"The traditional way of disposing of used or damaged copies of the text of the Quran is by burning it," he says.

But Malik, the director of outreach for the Dar al-Hijrah Islamic Center in Falls Church, Va., says that doesn't include burning it with the trash.
Many of the religious leaders who spoke to NPR agreed that burial was the most respectful way to dispose of their sacred text. In the Greek Orthodox Church, Bishop Andonios says, either a layperson or clergyman could put the Holy Scripture to rest.

"The appropriate way — if it was necessary to dispose of that item that had been torn or water-aged — would be to bury it or burn it," he says.

The bishop, who is chancellor of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, says no specific ceremony is involved.

"In the case of most laypeople, they would bring it to the church and let the parish priest dispose of it," he says.

I don't understand why such items are "charmed" or have some kind of mojo affiliated with them.  Chunk it and recycle it if you have another copy.  It's a book, the message is what is important.   The physical paper & binding and ink is just that, paper, binding and ink.  The message can be had in exact duplicate.

That said, there may be an issue with historical bibles because they may have genealogy or other historical significance to them.   But to think you are somehow dishonoring God because you recycled a water damaged or defunct/ruined Bible, I think that is really weird.   Just my opinion.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 02:37:04 PM »

That's interesting. I actually don't know what I'm supposed to do with a Bible that is very used and no longer readable.

Embarrassed Embarrassed

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 02:54:21 PM »

That's interesting. I actually don't know what I'm supposed to do with a Bible that is very used and no longer readable.

Embarrassed Embarrassed

Mostly in Orthodoxy, the practice I've seen was burying it.   
But, as my first post said...  I mean, why not recycle it into another bible?   

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 02:59:46 PM »

What? Cremation? Is outrage!!!
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, you lack the proper φρόνημα

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 03:02:25 PM »

I don't understand why such items are "charmed" or have some kind of mojo affiliated with them.  Chunk it and recycle it if you have another copy.  It's a book, the message is what is important.   The physical paper & binding and ink is just that, paper, binding and ink.  The message can be had in exact duplicate.
Because we aren't gnostics.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: