OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 21, 2014, 11:15:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Girls' Verbal Skills Make Them Better at Arithmetic, Study Finds  (Read 562 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: February 24, 2012, 09:53:33 AM »

ScienceDaily (Feb. 23, 2012) — While boys generally do better than girls in science and math, some studies have found that girls do better in arithmetic. A new study published in Psychological Science, a journal of the Association for Psychological Science, finds that the advantage comes from girls' superior verbal skills.

"People have always thought that males' advantage is in math and spatial skills, and girls' advantage is in language," says Xinlin Zhou of Beijing Normal University....
"Arithmetic and even advanced math needs verbal processing," Zhou says. Counting is verbal; the multiplication table is memorized verbally, and when people are doing multiple-digit calculations, they hold the intermediate results in their memory as words.
"Better language skills could lead to more efficient verbal processing in arithmetic," Zhou says. He thinks it might be possible to use these results to help both boys and girls learn math better. Boys could use more help with verbal strategies for learning math terms, while girls might benefit from more practice with spatial skills.
Reminds me of The Wonder Years actress, who is now a mathematician.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 09:56:43 AM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 09:57:20 AM »

lol, sigh

I'm going to need this.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 10:35:15 AM »

lol, sigh
What's so funny about this? My third grade teacher tracked our progress on learning the multiplication tables (up to 12 x 12, w/ 13 and 14 for extra credit) and posted daily updates for the whole class to see. The fastest student in our class at mastering these tables was a girl. (That girl is now working as a chemist.)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 10:35:49 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 10:38:27 AM »

lol, sigh
What's so funny about this? My third grade teacher tracked our progress on learning the multiplication tables (up to 12 x 12, w/ 13 and 14 for extra credit) and posted daily updates for the whole class to see. The fastest student in our class at mastering these tables was a girl. (That girl is now working as a chemist.)

Because math ability isn't about 'memorizing', or tables, or basic arithmetic. It's in the 'higher' maths, where the problem is based on relation, change, and equilibrium.

I'm going to need this.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 12:40:20 PM »

lol, sigh

Because math ability isn't about 'memorizing', or tables, or basic arithmetic. It's in the 'higher' maths, where the problem is based on relation, change, and equilibrium.
You did notice that this article is about arithmetic, which the article describes as distinct from higher mathematics? We're not talking about linear algebra or differential equations here.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 12:43:13 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
FountainPen
Is not wasting any more of her ink
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 01:44:58 PM »

"Yeah, sexy, huh? How 'bout this for a number? Six. That's how old my other daughter is, eight is the age of my son, two is how many times I've been married - and divorced; sixteen is the number of dollars I have in my bank account. 850-3943. That's my phone number, and with all the numbers I gave you, I'm guessing zero is the number of times you're gonna call it." --  'Erin Brockovich' (Soderbergh 2000)

#winks
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 01:47:31 PM by FountainPen » Logged

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try. Mark Twain
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 02:04:12 PM »

lol, sigh

You did notice that this article is about arithmetic, which the article describes as distinct from higher mathematics? We're not talking about linear algebra or differential equations here.

Those don't really count as higher mathematics either, they're just extensions of arithmetic, I think the subjects you were looking for were Abstract Algebra and Real Analysis. But, then again, even the consistency of those axioms is tied to number theory, so, in a way, all mathematics is arithmetic. Wink

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 02:37:55 PM »

lol, sigh

Fair enough.

I'm going to need this.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 03:00:44 AM »

If this is so, then why do my verbal skills (which are far higher than average, according to every test I've ever taken) not increase my own arithmetic skills?

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Pray for me, Sts. Mina & Kyrillos VI for my exams

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 11:16:20 AM »

If this is so, then why do my verbal skills (which are far higher than average, according to every test I've ever taken) not increase my own arithmetic skills?
Cause you're not a girl...duh silly!  Tongue

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2012, 12:53:04 AM »

Girls are great at maths. Measurements used for baking things must be very precise. Wat? I'll brb...

I'll bet I look like a goof.

"And since when have Christians become afraid of rain?"
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2012, 01:24:54 AM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

"People have always thought

Key words there.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2012, 01:44:37 AM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

"People have always thought

Key words there.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

1) Are you implying that people have or have not always thought?

2) How do you know that I am blessed?

3) How do you pronounce your name?

4) Do you like chicken as much as I think you do?

Cool

I'll bet I look like a goof.

"And since when have Christians become afraid of rain?"
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2012, 09:52:45 AM »

Girlz better at maths?

Next they're gonna tell me that because of their santa-claus-like-beards muzlims be better at peace.

One day we will talk about why people fetishize children, but for now I'll keep on the side of humanity that doesn't think the height of life is a drinking a juice box and eating a tater tot while defecating in their pants.
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica Metropolitanate

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2012, 10:18:47 AM »

Since a woman can remember every thing a man has done to upset her in the past (infinity) years, I have no problem believing that they can memorize multiplication tables better than we can.

God did not create man equal.  Samuel Colt made man equal.  Blessed be the Peacemaker.
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2012, 11:36:04 AM »

Next they're going to be after our ability to read maps and take out the garbage. What a world!

Cyrillic
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Moscow

The Reactionary Rebel

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2012, 12:43:41 PM »

Next they're going to be after our ability to read maps and take out the garbage. What a world!

One thing at a time, dzheremi,  one thing at a time  Grin
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 12:43:49 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

Odi profanum vulgus et arceo

"J'ai pour les institutions démocratiques un goût de tête, mais je suis aristocrate par instinct"
-A. de Tocqueville

'Don't bother arguing with Cyrillic, he is Dutch or something queer like that.'
-Byron
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: