OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 30, 2014, 10:43:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: would anybody tell me about the 'Assyrian Church' and it's stand on Christology?
message icon - 1 (100%)
bulletin board code - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 1

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hi Everyone,  (Read 835 times) Average Rating: 0
deacon Mikias(micah)

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox tewahdo church
Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox

Pray for us O you Saints

« on: February 24, 2012, 04:55:10 AM »

would anybody tell me about the 'Assyrian Church' and it's stand on Christology?
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 10:52:02 PM »

Welcome to the forum!   Smiley

If you click on the "Church of the East" tag, below, you'll find other threads about that particular Church.

NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 03:37:17 AM »

would anybody tell me about the 'Assyrian Church' and it's stand on Christology?

Welcome to the forum!

This is a very complex chart of Syrian Neoplatonic Christology (Assyrian Church of the East Christology). As you can see, A nature exists in general subsistences, which are individuated as persons.

In other words, they believe that there are two subsistences called "Jesus Christ" and "the Word/the Son" who shared the titles "lord" and "son" in one person. The two subsistences combine to form "the Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God".

This is alien to Roman Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox Christology.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 03:37:58 AM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 06:16:28 AM »

Welcome to the forum!

This is a very complex chart of Syrian Neoplatonic Christology (Assyrian Church of the East Christology). As you can see, A nature exists in general subsistences, which are individuated as persons.

In other words, they believe that there are two subsistences called "Jesus Christ" and "the Word/the Son" who shared the titles "lord" and "son" in one person. The two subsistences combine to form "the Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God".

This is alien to Roman Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox Christology.

It's not alien to Reformed Protestantism.

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 03:47:20 PM »

Especially the Extra Calvinisticum.

if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 04:17:29 PM »

I read that as Extra Calvinism, as in "Reformed Protestantism: Now with Extra Calvinism!"

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 10:36:59 PM »

I read that as Extra Calvinism, as in "Reformed Protestantism: Now with Extra Calvinism!"

It's a word specifically in regards to Calvin's Christology and maybe also his interpretation of the Eucharist.

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
deacon Mikias(micah)

Pray for us O you Saints

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 04:32:41 AM »

But i am pretty sure i red that it is called a Nestorian church in the east. i just can't figure it out how and when the church been considered in this way.
 in christ
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 04:39:52 AM »

But i am pretty sure i red that it is called a Nestorian church in the east. i just can't figure it out how and when the church been considered in this way.
 in christ
Deacon Mikias,

A lot of Christians in Persia, East Syria, and Arabia had a Christology that used language easily exploited by the heretic Nestorius, and his better-meaning predecessors, Theodore and Diodore. When Nestorius was anathematized, his followers influenced the Church of the East, which was geographically and politically isolated by the Persian Empire and later by Islam.

The main controversy occurred in the 5th Century.

You'll find that in many instances of a great heresy, the heretics find enclaves on the fringes of the empire or the "civilized" world.

« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 04:46:13 AM by NicholasMyra » Logged

deacon Mikias(micah)

Pray for us O you Saints

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 06:59:26 AM »

big thanks Nicholas, but all u meant was they accepted the chistological formula of nestorius,the heretic. wasn't it?
 In Christ
Father Peter
Archon

Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 08:30:35 AM »

The Church of the East is hardly influenced by Nestorius. The main sources of their Christology have always been Theodore of Mopsuestia and Diodore.

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 02:16:04 PM »

big thanks Nicholas, but all u meant was they accepted the chistological formula of nestorius,the heretic. wasn't it?
 In Christ
They were also heavily influenced by Manichean gnosticism, which explains their traditionally extreme ascetical practices (I am not sure if this remains so today) and their Christology was susceptible to heresy because they defined nature and person in a really really vague and confused manner, poorly blending semitic and platonic thought.

NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 02:17:30 PM »

The main sources of their Christology have always been Theodore of Mopsuestia and Diodore.
Plus the various native persian and iraqi oddballs that Rafaa enlightened us about.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 02:17:55 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 03:56:44 PM »

I'm still not sure I understand the difference between Qnoma and Parsopa in their theology. Can anyone enlighten me here?

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 05:40:01 PM »

The main sources of their Christology have always been Theodore of Mopsuestia and Diodore.
Plus the various native persian and iraqi oddballs that Rafaa enlightened us about.

From what I understand though, he recanted all what he thought the Assyrian Church believed, since he's not even Assyrian or part of the Church of the East.  In fact, if anything, he seems to have recanted EVERYTHING he wrote here in the forums.  I say this only because on facebook, he continually makes public apologies for everything he said.

So I suppose we'll have to wait for an Assyrian member to share with us his/her thoughts to make that type of judgment.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 05:40:42 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2012, 05:45:00 PM »

I'm still not sure I understand the difference between Qnoma and Parsopa in their theology. Can anyone enlighten me here?

Supposedly, Qnoma is what is translated into Greek as Hypostasis and Parsopa translated into Person (Prosopon).  From what I can gather, Qnoma is the individualization or the actual "thing" that an essence represents and Parsopa is literally a mask, an external representation of the thing.  Very subtle differences it seems.  Nevertheless, Nestorians cannot believe in a hypostatic union, or a union that leads to "One Qnume," and they consider the union as a "prosopic" union, only an external union based on appearance, but a sharing of titles as well as a union based on will, which some theologians do say is a characteristic of Nestorianism that also has a built-in Monothelitism in it.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Fr. John Romanides does an excellent study on Theodore of Mopsuestia's Monothelitism, where pretty much all humans are destined to be part of the divine will, just that Jesus the man was born with that capability already being part of the divine will of the Word, whereas we have to develop it by abolishing our own human will until it is actually abolished.  This also leads to an all-out apocatastasis, that in the end, eventually all human wills will be abolished even by that eternal fire.  And so, it's not surprising to find in the history of the Assyrian Church a belief in not merely hopeful, but actual apocatastasis.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 05:52:58 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2012, 10:15:52 PM »

At least two of those "oddballs" are recognized as Saints in my Church, St. Isaac & St. John Saba.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I very much respect the Assyrian people and their Church. And hope one day our Churches can have a fruitful dialogue with them.

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2012, 02:20:44 AM »

At least two of those "oddballs" are recognized as Saints in my Church, St. Isaac & St. John Saba.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I very much respect the Assyrian people and their Church. And hope one day our Churches can have a fruitful dialogue with them.

They weren't oddballs because they were Persian and Iraqi, they were oddballs who were Persian and Iraqi.

Not talking about St. Isaac and/or St. Ephraim or St. John.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 02:21:21 AM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Tags: Church of the East 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: