OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 09:47:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1,500-year-old Bible / Turkish 'Bible' has Barnabas forecasting Muhammad's coming  (Read 2927 times) Average Rating: 0
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

Faith: greek orthodox
Jurisdiction: christian

« on: February 23, 2012, 05:21:03 PM »

Wow, Did not know this even existed. Wonder if the Turks will let them see it. Dont think so though.

The Vatican has allegedly issued an official request to examine a 1,500-year-old Bible that has been held in Turkey for the past 12 years

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/23/vatican-requests-1500-year-old-bible-from-turkey_n_1296672.html?ncid=webmail5

NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 05:24:24 PM »

"The Bible reportedly contains early teachings of Jesus Christ"

Grin

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"Simply put, if you’re not willing to take what is dearest to you, whether plans or people, and kiss it goodbye, you can’t be my disciple."
Theophilos78
Warned
Archon

Faith: pro-Israeli Zionist Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Adonai Yeshua

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 05:38:19 PM »

It is funny indeed that an Islamic newspaper suggests that this Bible could be an old copy of the medieval Gospel of Barnabas written in Aramaic!  The medieval Gospel of Barnabas was first devised in Spanish and Italian though. Further, its author never claimed that Jesus got His "true Gospel" written in Aramaic or Hebrew rather than Greek.

Muslim scholars, having been spurred by people like Dan Brown or Bart Ehrman, have recently proposed that the New Testament cannot be genuine because it was written in none of Jesus' languages (Hebrew and Aramaic). This language issue is often brought up by Muslims who object to the authenticity of the canonical Gospels. Ironically, Muhammad's demon was definitely unaware of this argument because he said that Jesus was given a revelation named Injil, which is the Arabic transliteration of the Greek word Euangelion!!! Cheesy

Christians, fasten your seatbelts and be ready for a new conspiracy theory targetting the Bible and Christian tenets.   Roll Eyes

Longing for Heavenly Jerusalem
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 05:59:39 PM »

Gotta love pseudo-journalistic speculation.  The Gospel of Barnabas is a ridiculous document probably from the Moores in which the author did not even know that Christ and Messiah meant the same thing, having "Jesus Christ" saying that He wasn't the Messiah.....   Roll Eyes  Tongue

scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 08:45:10 PM »

Muslim scholars, having been spurred by people like Dan Brown or Bart Ehrman, have recently proposed that the New Testament cannot be genuine because it was written in none of Jesus' languages (Hebrew and Aramaic). This language issue is often brought up by Muslims who object to the authenticity of the canonical Gospels. Ironically, Muhammad's demon was definitely unaware of this argument because he said that Jesus was given a revelation named Injil, which is the Arabic transliteration of the Greek word Euangelion!!! Cheesy

On another note, why is it unreasonable to posit that Christ may well have spoken Greek alongside of Hebrew and Aramaic?  Greek was the lingua franca and the area of Judea had been thoroughly Hellenized since the days of the Seleucid Empire.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 12:30:36 AM »

On another note, why is it unreasonable to posit that Christ may well have spoken Greek alongside of Hebrew and Aramaic?  Greek was the lingua franca and the area of Judea had been thoroughly Hellenized since the days of the Seleucid Empire.

I point that out to people who claim Jesus only spoke Hebrew or Aramaic all the time and all I ever get is something like "I don't know anything at all about history and I don't want to believe you, so, no - no one in the Middle East spoke Greek." Its really exasperating when its coming from other Christians, who believe Jesus is God, yet somehow incapable of speaking some languages.
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 01:42:37 AM »

The majority of the linguists whom I've read who have discussed the linguistic situation of the area in Jesus' time do accept the idea that our Lord likely would have had knowledge of Greek. It is an uncontroversial idea, but I suppose that doesn't stop some who (need to) believe that rigid language/dialect boundaries that don't even exist now surely must've existed back then...usually to make everything fit with their particular theology/epistemology. Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 01:43:29 AM by dzheremi » Logged

akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 02:03:27 AM »

What language would the Lord and Pontius Pilate have spoken during their exchange?

I had always assumed they spoke in Greek ...
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 02:03:46 AM by akimori makoto » Logged

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Theophilos78
Warned
Archon

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 07:07:50 AM »

Gotta love pseudo-journalistic speculation.  The Gospel of Barnabas is a ridiculous document probably from the Moores in which the author did not even know that Christ and Messiah meant the same thing, having "Jesus Christ" saying that He wasn't the Messiah.....   Roll Eyes  Tongue

Yes, that is weird indeed. Maybe the author did not really know that the two words (Christ and Messiah) meant the same thing in different languages. However, it is still possible that he considered the Hebrew word Messiah more theological and authentic. After all, we have the word Messiah in Arabic and the Qur'an, the Hebrew rather than the Greek term having been transliterated into Arabic.

Theophilos78
Warned
Archon

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 07:09:16 AM »

In an effort to support their weak and baseless assertion, Muslim scholars definitely overlook and/or deny this possibility.  angel

Theophilos78
Warned
Archon

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 07:11:37 AM »

The majority of the linguists whom I've read who have discussed the linguistic situation of the area in Jesus' time do accept the idea that our Lord likely would have had knowledge of Greek. It is an uncontroversial idea, but I suppose that doesn't stop some who (need to) believe that rigid language/dialect boundaries that don't even exist now surely must've existed back then...usually to make everything fit with their particular theology/epistemology. Roll Eyes

Exactly! The same people overlook the fact that according to their scripture Allah gave Mary's son a revelation bearing a Greek title! Cheesy

Theophilos78
Warned
Archon

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 07:14:29 AM »

I point that out to people who claim Jesus only spoke Hebrew or Aramaic all the time and all I ever get is something like "I don't know anything at all about history and I don't want to believe you, so, no - no one in the Middle East spoke Greek." Its really exasperating when its coming from other Christians, who believe Jesus is God, yet somehow incapable of speaking some languages.

Figure out the popularity of the Greek language in Israel at that time: we have the Greek translation of the Hebrew Bible, which was used by our first martyr in his discourse to the Jews.  Smiley

Theophilos78
Warned
Archon

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 07:16:52 AM »

What language would the Lord and Pontius Pilate have spoken during their exchange?

Since Muslims deny the Passion, they think that Jesus never entered Pontius Pilate's palace. They mostly believe that someone else (number one candidate being Judas Iscariot) was accidentally considered Jesus and crucified in His stead. This would mean that Judas Iscariot could speak Greek though.  Grin

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 07:48:25 AM »

In Master and Margarita they used Russian to speak with each other.  I'm going to go with that as the correct answer. 
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 10:58:37 AM »

If I remember correctly, Mel Gibson wanted us to believe they spoke in Latin. The Theologian and Evangelist John tells us that the title on the cross was written in Hebrew, Greek, and Latin (John 19:20), so it's not impossible.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2012, 11:34:27 AM »

If I remember correctly, Mel Gibson wanted us to believe they spoke in Latin. The Theologian and Evangelist John tells us that the title on the cross was written in Hebrew, Greek, and Latin (John 19:20), so it's not impossible.

Yes, Jesus and Pilate are speaking Latin in the The Passion.

I've always assumed Greek because, as noted earlier, it was the lingua franca of the region.  From what I remember of my linguistics courses in college, practically everyone, even the most ignorant, knew a few words of Greek; it would have taken some effort to not know something of the language.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2012, 11:44:33 AM »

However, it is still possible that he considered the Hebrew word Messiah more theological and authentic.

Utter rubbish. Every language with a decent vocabulary can express theological concepts adequately. English, mongrel language that it is, has, perhaps, the richest vocabularies of all modern languages.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2012, 02:49:05 PM »

So if this 1500 year old bible has all the books that are in the Orthodox bible, how soon do you think some protestant groups will say its a fake?

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2012, 06:09:02 PM »

It is funny indeed that an Islamic newspaper suggests that this Bible could be an old copy of the medieval Gospel of Barnabas written in Aramaic!  The medieval Gospel of Barnabas was first devised in Spanish and Italian though. Further, its author never claimed that Jesus got His "true Gospel" written in Aramaic or Hebrew rather than Greek.

Christians, fasten your seatbelts and be ready for a new conspiracy theory targetting the Bible and Christian tenets.   Roll Eyes
It is interesting how the more we uncover of the earliest texts, the more the support for the Christian account of the New Testament is solidified, whereas the more the earliest texts of the Quran are uncovered (some were found in a mosque in Yemen) the more the Muslim claim of the text of the Quran never changing is undermined (which is why the Muslims try to suppress such evidence: a dig in Saudi Arabia undercovered Quranic texts from the first Islamic century.  The Saudi government confiscated them, and they haven't seen the light of day).

Also it is interesting that Muslims keep on looking for an "ancient" Gospel of Barnabas (the earliest copy of it is post 1588 (the watermarks on the paper) and ignore the earliest papyri of the NT (which date to within a few decades of the composition of the books).  Won't fit the narrative.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Zenovia
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2012, 10:47:30 PM »

I'm a new member, so I'd like to say hello to everyone. Smiley

Figure out the popularity of the Greek language in Israel at that time: we have the Greek translation of the Hebrew Bible, which was used by our first martyr in his discourse to the Jews. 
[/size]

I believe the teachers in Rome were  Greek, so Pontius Pilate had to know Greek fluently.   The name Stephan is also Greek, and Judas is called 'is' cariot, which translates from the Greek as Judas the Cariot.  I'm surprised that Mel Gibson wasn't aware of the dominance of the Greek language in that part of the world...probably because he's very Latin oriented.

As for the Muslims, if their history  is taught the way it is in Turkey,  then the Greeks didn't come into that part of the world until the seventh century.  They  have a strange tendency  of seeing things in  ways that  tend to gratify their religious/political agendas.
   Huh
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 10:49:48 PM by Zenovia » Logged
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2012, 11:03:37 PM »

I think Gibson said he chose Latin because it was more readily distinguishable from the Aramaic dialog. Compared to the other artistic decisions made in the movie, that seems totally reasonable.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2012, 11:05:58 PM »

I think Gibson said he chose Latin because it was more readily distinguishable from the Aramaic dialog. Compared to the other artistic decisions made in the movie, that seems totally reasonable.

I suppose we should be grateful. I'm sure we would've all been subjected to some sort of reconstructed pronunciation which would have wounded our souls, had Mr Gibson preferred the Greek.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2012, 11:11:26 PM »

Then what was Mr Gibson's reason for omitting the Greek inscription on the cross above Christ's head? The charge was written in Hebrew and Latin only. So much for the heavy publicity that this film was the latest in rigorous scholarship and accuracy, any Sunday school kid could have spotted this howler.
LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2012, 11:12:41 PM »

I suppose we should be grateful. I'm sure we would've all been subjected to some sort of reconstructed pronunciation which would have wounded our souls, had Mr Gibson preferred the Greek.

Erasmian pronunciation ... AIEEEEE!!!  Shocked Shocked Shocked
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2012, 11:19:40 PM »

Would Christ ever have actually spoken Hebrew? Wasn't it more of a Church Slavonic-type liturgical language or language of the plebs?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2012, 11:53:56 PM »

Oh forget it  . . . you people are lost causes.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2012, 11:55:47 PM »

apekrithē iēsous ē basileia ē emē ouk estin ek tou kosmou toutou ei ek tou kosmou toutou ēn ē basileia ē emē oi upēretai an oi emoi ēgōnizonto ina mē paradothō tois ioudaiois nun de ē basileia ē emē ouk estin enteuthen (John 18:36)

Kill me now ...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 11:56:26 PM by akimori makoto » Logged

primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2012, 12:05:15 PM »

I believe the teachers in Rome were  Greek, so Pontius Pilate had to know Greek fluently
Greek was the language de jure in the East for over 300 years by the time Pilate got there. Most teachers and doctors were greeks or could speak it fluently. So did most rich Romans who wanted to enter public service.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great
Zenovia
High Elder

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2012, 10:59:47 PM »

However, it is still possible that he considered the Hebrew word Messiah more theological and authentic.

Utter rubbish. Every language with a decent vocabulary can express theological concepts adequately. English, mongrel language that it is, has, perhaps, the richest vocabularies of all modern languages.

Okay I'm going to go into a bit of history here.   Congress at one time wanted to make Greek the official language but Webster had incorporated so many Greek words into the English language that it wasn't needed.  It lost out by three votes. ..or so I heard.  I also  heard German lost by one vote.  Tough luck guys!  Tongue
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2012, 11:13:24 PM »

Okay I'm going to go into a bit of history here.   Congress at one time wanted to make Greek the official language but Webster had incorporated so many Greek words into the English language that it wasn't needed.  It lost out by three votes. ..or so I heard.  I also  heard German lost by one vote.  Tough luck guys!  Tongue

This is absolutely false.  There is very little evidence that the Continental Congress ever seriously considered an alternative to English as an official language (other proposed alternatives included French).  On the second point, the bill regarding German - that did in fact lose by one vote - was a bill that would have published all acts of Congress in German as well as English, not a bill making German the official language.

Think about it, is there really any reason that anything other than English would ever have been given serious thought for an official language, when it has always been - by far - the most known language in the United States?

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2012, 11:15:01 PM »

This is absolutely false.  There is very little evidence that the Continental Congress ever seriously considered an alternative to English as an official language (other proposed alternatives included French).  On the second point, the bill regarding German - that did in fact lose by one vote - was a bill that would have published all acts of Congress in German as well as English, not a bill making German the official language.

Think about it, is there really any reason that anything other than English would ever have been given serious thought for an official language, when it has always been - by far - the most known language in the United States?

I need you and Mario and Volnutt on my trivia team. The victories would be even uglier! (I mostly mean figuratively.)

Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2012, 11:38:24 PM »

I always understood that Christ likely knew Greek as well as that was technically the official language of the Eastern Roman Empire.  Although most of the time they spoke in their native tongue.  

Maybe this is a bad analogy, but would it be similar to a hispanic neighborhood in America?  They speak Spanish in their neighborhood, but they obviously have to be somewhat aware of English too as it is the language of the land.

Maybe thats been covered already. Its late and when it gets late I start to ramble.  Im also almost to "Elder" status on this forum. Gotta keep posting....
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 11:38:37 PM by Timon » Logged

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2012, 11:41:11 PM »

I always understood that Christ likely knew Greek as well as that was technically the official language of the Eastern Roman Empire.  Although most of the time they spoke in their native tongue.  

Maybe this is a bad analogy, but would it be similar to a hispanic neighborhood in America?  They speak Spanish in their neighborhood, but they obviously have to be somewhat aware of English too as it is the language of the land.

Maybe thats been covered already. Its late and when it gets late I start to ramble.  Im also almost to "Elder" status on this forum. Gotta keep posting....

You don't live in a state with many Hispanic people, do you?  Living in Arizona, I have met a multitude of Mexican-Americans (our most common Hispanic) who speak essentially no English and do not understand essentially any; such people are not even restricted to neighborhoods that are primarily Spanish speaking.  I mainly have lived in middle class areas of Chandler, AZ, and I have gone to school with people whose parents came from Mexico, and literally spoke almost no English at all.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2012, 11:49:52 PM »

You don't live in a state with many Hispanic people, do you?  Living in Arizona, I have met a multitude of Mexican-Americans (our most common Hispanic) who speak essentially no English and do not understand essentially any; such people are not even restricted to neighborhoods that are primarily Spanish speaking.  I mainly have lived in middle class areas of Chandler, AZ, and I have gone to school with people whose parents came from Mexico, and literally spoke almost no English at all.

Its my understanding that we have quite a bit here in Georgia.  I dont know the technical stats, but I have heard that we have more than one may assume.  I can also tell we have a decent about every time I drive down my street and around my city (Atlanta.)  However, im 100% certain that Arizona has many more hispanics.

Around here, there are several neighborhoods where even the signs are in Spanish.  In those places, everyone who lives there speaks Spanish.  But I still think a majority of them know at least a minimal amount of English.  I acknowledged that my analogy may be weak, but where I am it seems it could still be somewhat comparable to people in Christ time speaking there language while also knowing a minimal amount of Greek.

EDIT* Turns out I was referring to illegal immigration stats.  We rank #7 and Arizona ranks #6 in illegals. 
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 11:50:48 PM by Timon » Logged

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Zenovia
High Elder

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2012, 06:35:50 PM »

Okay it is absurd, although the Germans conducted everything in German until WWI.  How in the world we ever entered in that war when one takes into account the amount of Germans living here, and that they always spoke German and only intermarried with Germans in Germany,  is surprising.  Who in the world was in charge of the propaganda here, but then again one should never underestimate the 'cunning' of the British.

As for Greek, it probably was considered since it was an outcome of the Enlightenment, and it was being taught in the German schools.  I'm glad though that  it didn't succeed since I somehow feel it contributed to the 'nationalist' idolatry in Germany.  But these are only my thoughts on the subject.  Languages seem to have a strong affect on  people... Huh
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2012, 08:50:13 PM »

Okay it is absurd, although the Germans conducted everything in German until WWI.  How in the world we ever entered in that war when one takes into account the amount of Germans living here, and that they always spoke German and only intermarried with Germans in Germany,  is surprising.  Who in the world was in charge of the propaganda here, but then again one should never underestimate the 'cunning' of the British.

As for Greek, it probably was considered since it was an outcome of the Enlightenment, and it was being taught in the German schools.  I'm glad though that  it didn't succeed since I somehow feel it contributed to the 'nationalist' idolatry in Germany.  But these are only my thoughts on the subject.  Languages seem to have a strong affect on  people... Huh

Do you think about what you're typing, or just string words together?

That person
OC.net guru

« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2012, 10:02:07 PM »

I'd heard that statistic before and wasn't aware of the context. Thanks for the clarification. It does make sense that congress would want to make things bilingual, since many immigrant communities were quite isolated and would have lacked any exposure to English. Martin van Buren, for example, spoke English as a second language and was said to have a noticeable Dutch accent when he delivered his speeches.

Okay, so that last bit was just me lobbying for a spot on orthonorm's trivia team. If nothing else, I'd be a well-suited candidate geographically. I might actually be down in your city for a Bengals game this season. I'll be sure to let you know when so you can look down on Bengals fans especially snidely that day.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2012, 10:53:43 PM »

Okay, so that last bit was just me lobbying for a spot on orthonorm's trivia team. If nothing else, I'd be a well-suited candidate geographically.

Only if you are able to be the sorest winner on the planet next to me.

Tonight, another decisive victory. Plain ugly.

Three members against enormous teams. One member is a question short of a GED I think.

Zenovia
High Elder

« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2012, 11:50:07 AM »

Well I guess I'm overestimated you.  I  do that at times, sorry.   Wink
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2012, 12:24:04 PM »

I read this and literally LMAO.

I'm going to need this.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2012, 10:01:50 PM »

Well I guess I'm overestimated you.  I  do that at times, sorry.   Wink

Huh

That person
OC.net guru

« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2012, 11:21:41 PM »

Only if you are able to be the sorest winner on the planet next to me.
I can probably pull that off. If all goes well, the Bengals game should give me good practice.

primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2012, 11:02:32 AM »

Okay I'm going to go into a bit of history here.   Congress at one time wanted to make Greek the official language but Webster had incorporated so many Greek words into the English language that it wasn't needed.  It lost out by three votes. ..or so I heard.  I also  heard German lost by one vote.  Tough luck guys!

and

As for Greek, it probably was considered since it was an outcome of the Enlightenment, and it was being taught in the German schools.  I'm glad though that  it didn't succeed since I somehow feel it contributed to the 'nationalist' idolatry in Germany.  But these are only my thoughts on the subject.  Languages seem to have a strong affect on  people

Please, please stop. You're really discounting yourself here. Please, please stop. Im tryin to be on your side darlin, but wow. I want your voice to be given credence in discussions, but stuff like this is really straining all credibility.....well...not just these two things but......

PP

Gregory the Great
Balthasar
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2012, 09:19:42 PM »

Iran’s Basij Press is claiming a purported Gospel of Barnabas, discovered in 2000, will prove that Islam is the final and righteous religion, causing the collapse worldwide of Christianity.

http://www.worthynews.com/top/wnd-com-2012-05-iran-discovery-will-collapse-christianity-/
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 09:47:03 PM by Salpy » Logged
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2012, 12:41:03 AM »

A good debunking: http://labarum.net/2012/05/24/the-gospel-of-barnabas-and-islamic-credulity/

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"Simply put, if you’re not willing to take what is dearest to you, whether plans or people, and kiss it goodbye, you can’t be my disciple."
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: