Anglicans and Apostolic Succession?
(1/7) > >>
Timon:
Do you guys think the Anglican church has Apostolic succession and valid sacraments?
Clemente:
Quote from: Timon on February 23, 2012, 11:19:42 AM

Do you guys think the Anglican church has Apostolic succession and valid sacraments?

I think that the Anglican Church believes it has apostolic succession and valid sacraments. The Roman Catholic Church is apparently certain that the Anglican Church does not.

As an Orthodox, I don't know if the Anglican church has Apostolic succession and valid sacraments. But I know that neither the AC or the RCC belongs to the one Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church. Many Anglican Churches wouldn't claim that they have sacraments in the Orthodox sense; for example, there are many Anglican churches that do not pretend to have the Real Presence in the Eucharist, seeing it rather as symbolic. Many would only claim two sacraments, and wouldn't have, for example, private confession. So, it is difficult as an outsider to say or generalise.

As a former Anglican, I can confirm unambiguously the following: Anglicanism--its complicated.
katherineofdixie:
IMHO, it's kind of like the old saying, "we know where the Church is, what we don't know is where it isn't."
We don't know, really, if the Anglicans have "legitimate" Apostolic succession - an argument could probably be made either way. (Though, personally, based on some of their beliefs - always assuming that you can get them to agree on what it is- I would say not, since those beliefs have strayed so far away from Apostolic teachings.)
What we do know for sure is what Church does have Apostolic succession.

Why accept substitutes?  ;)
primuspilus:
Im not gonna touch the sacrament issue. As far as succession, I believe in the way Orthodoxy looks at succession, the answer would be no. I think the RC would look at it as yes, but it is maybe imperfect?

Corrections plz?

PP
Clemente:
Quote from: primuspilus on February 23, 2012, 12:11:54 PM

Im not gonna touch the sacrament issue. As far as succession, I believe in the way Orthodoxy looks at succession, the answer would be no. I think the RC would look at it as yes, but it is maybe imperfect?

Corrections plz?

PP

It is complicated. Pope Leo XIII in his bull Apostolicae Curae finally, and definitively (for Roman Catholics) ruled that Anglican Orders are not valid, for intrinsic and extrinsic reasons. See Catholic Encycl. article: http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01644a.htm

However, due to the "Dutch touch" via Old Catholic or PNCC succession, many High Church Anglicans would claim that apostolic succession has been restored. http://anglocatholic.net/2012/01/28/apostolic-succession/

From an Orthodox perspective, it all seems a bit bemusing. Historically, there may be succession in Anglicanism, but ontologically, there may not be.
Navigation
Message Index
Next page