OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 07:57:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hyperdox Herman  (Read 100911 times) Average Rating: 5
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1215 on: October 03, 2012, 03:51:48 PM »

and again
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1216 on: October 03, 2012, 07:09:26 PM »

and again
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #1217 on: October 04, 2012, 01:50:04 PM »

As a counter point to this thread, someone started a thread called Luke Warmadox. I said something like this some months ago on this thread and most thought I was being a bore.I have to admit that Hyperdox makes me chuckle from time to time, but  I have been thinking about this in relation to both threads and I will break the Forum rules and quote at length something that both those who think Hyperdox or Warmadox is descriptive of the faith of others and somehow makes one feel superior to either one.

The same post is going up on Warmadox's as well. We Christians get mocked enough in this world by those who lack Faith, we ought not to be mocking each other.

The Publican and the Pharisee from GOARCH.org....

This is the story of two men, one a Pharisee, a member of a Jewish sect known for its diligent observance of the Law, and the other a Publican, a government official charged with the responsibility of collecting taxes.
Both men enter the temple, and the Pharisee stands openly and prays, thanking God that he is not like other men, specifically extortioners, the unjust, adulterers, “or even this tax collector” (v. 11). He then begins to list his religious accomplishments by stating, “I fast twice a week, and I give tithes of all that I possess” (v. 12).
In direct contrast to the pride of the Pharisee, the Publican goes to a place where he will not be noticed by others and beats his breast saying, “God, be merciful to me a sinner!” (v. 13).
Having told this story, Jesus affirms that it was the Publican who returned home justified and forgiven rather than the Pharisee. He states, “Everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted” (v. 14).
The theme of this parable is repentance. Repentance is the door through which we enter Lent, the starting-point of the journey to Pascha. To repent signifies far more than self-pity or futile regret over things done in the past. The Greek term metanoia means “change of mind.” To repent is to be renewed, to be transformed in our inward viewpoint, to attain a fresh way of looking at our relationship with God and with others. The fault of the Pharisee is that he has no desire to change his outlook; he is complacent, self-satisfied, and so he allows no place for God to act within him. The Gospel depicts him as a man that is pleased only with himself who thinks that he has complied with all of the requirements of religion. But in his pride, he has falsified the meaning of true religion and faith. He has reduced these to external observations, measuring his piety by the amount of money he gives.
The Publican, on the other hand, truly longs for a “change of mind.” He humbles himself, and his humility justifies him before God. He becomes, in the words of the Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5:3), “poor in spirit.” He acknowledges that he is a sinner, and he knows that salvation is only found in the mercy of God. Here we find an example of true humility, an essential aspect of repentance. A “change of mind” and the transformation of our lives can only happen when we humble ourselves before God, acknowledge our willingness to turn from sin, and receive His grace into our lives.
  http://lent.goarch.org/publicanpharisee/learn/
choy
Archon

« Reply #1218 on: October 04, 2012, 02:09:30 PM »

We Christians get mocked enough in this world by those who lack Faith, we ought not to be mocking each other.

I don't look at it as mocking each other, but rather that we can take a step back and laugh at ourselves.  Indeed sometimes we do get so passionate for the Lord that we become irrational.  That is why we have Fundamentalists in this world.  Lauging at ourselves makes sure we maintain our sanity.  Overzealousness can lead to bad things as well.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #1219 on: October 04, 2012, 03:07:17 PM »

We Christians get mocked enough in this world by those who lack Faith, we ought not to be mocking each other.

I don't look at it as mocking each other, but rather that we can take a step back and laugh at ourselves.  Indeed sometimes we do get so passionate for the Lord that we become irrational.  That is why we have Fundamentalists in this world.  Lauging at ourselves makes sure we maintain our sanity.  Overzealousness can lead to bad things as well.

There is a distinction between laughing at ourselves and laughing at others. I have to confess that the Warmadox thread is the one o which I saw more snarky laughing going on at the expense of other's than at Hyperdox Herman.
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1220 on: October 04, 2012, 04:49:54 PM »

returning to the topic
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #1221 on: October 04, 2012, 05:45:24 PM »

And there is a difference between laughing at our own expense and the expense of others. Which, if you read some of the Hyperdox Herman memes, they reference mockery to real people.

Forgive my sins.
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

Faith: greek orthodox
Jurisdiction: christian

« Reply #1222 on: October 04, 2012, 09:21:45 PM »

Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Miaphysite Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: The Church of Alexandria

Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth

Partisangirl
« Reply #1223 on: October 04, 2012, 10:17:57 PM »

Miaphysite Mina

==================================

+Thinks all Chalcedonians are graceless Nestorian heretics

+Has an Icon of St. John Climacus in his prayer corner

We should try to find a picture for him too.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 10:18:19 PM by Severian » Logged

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ

I am currently not an active poster on the forum. Please forgive any offense I might have caused in the past. Thank you.
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #1224 on: October 04, 2012, 10:22:26 PM »

Cradle Kyrillos

=========

+Believes Chalcedonians are fully Orthodox

+Claims Sts. Dioscorus and Severus as his patrons

=========
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 10:23:37 PM by Severian » Logged

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ

I am currently not an active poster on the forum. Please forgive any offense I might have caused in the past. Thank you.
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

Faith: greek orthodox
Jurisdiction: christian

« Reply #1225 on: October 04, 2012, 10:37:39 PM »

William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1226 on: October 04, 2012, 11:11:24 PM »

Severe Severian:

Has a Protestant soteriology

All Protestants are damned

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #1227 on: October 04, 2012, 11:26:35 PM »

NVM!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 11:37:40 PM by Severian » Logged

William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1228 on: October 04, 2012, 11:36:05 PM »

Severe Severian:

Has a Protestant soteriology

All Protestants are damned
Could you substantiate your claim that I have ever espoused a Protestant soteriology?

What claim? Huh

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #1229 on: October 04, 2012, 11:37:26 PM »

^I assumed "severe Severian" referred to me. Forgive me for misunderstanding you if I did.

William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1230 on: October 04, 2012, 11:38:47 PM »

^I assumed "severe Severian" referred to me. Forgive me for misunderstanding you if I did.

It's a name that goes with 'Severe.' I'm referring to how some hardliner Copts have said that all Protestants are insta-damned which is, ironically, reflecting Protestant influence in soteriology.

88Devin12
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #1231 on: October 05, 2012, 12:19:29 AM »

and again...

For what its worth, Yakov did attend an Orthodox service in memory of his mother a few years ago.
OrthoNoob
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1232 on: October 05, 2012, 01:32:51 AM »

Miaphysite Mina

+Hears that Christianity is a form of monotheism.

+"Heretic! Is miatheism!"

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
88Devin12
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1233 on: October 05, 2012, 01:42:53 AM »

Hyperdox Herman's favorite part of Psi's "Gangnam Style?"... Oppa!
88Devin12
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1234 on: October 05, 2012, 01:52:14 AM »

Criticizes well meaning people for donating Catholic incense to the parish.
Buys his from an HOCNA monastery.
88Devin12
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1235 on: October 05, 2012, 02:09:12 AM »

Cradle Christopher:
Doesn't like socializing after Liturgy
Joins Freemasons to socialize

Hyperdox Herman:
Freemasons? Anathema!
Seeks to create Cataphracts of Constantine
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1236 on: October 05, 2012, 05:59:09 AM »

and again
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

On Sabbatical until Mid-December

« Reply #1237 on: October 06, 2012, 12:57:54 PM »

An oldie, I think from the private forum:

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #1238 on: October 06, 2012, 01:15:51 PM »

This might be a piture for miaphysite Mina?
http://www.middle-east-online.com/meopictures/big/_28206_Egyptian_Copt.jpg
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #1239 on: October 06, 2012, 03:52:04 PM »

Here:
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 03:54:20 PM by Severian » Logged

Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #1240 on: October 06, 2012, 03:56:09 PM »

« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 03:59:00 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #1241 on: October 06, 2012, 04:02:31 PM »

Finally, something for the rest of us! I mean, he's terrifying, sure, but at least he's here...  Wink

Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #1242 on: October 06, 2012, 04:16:38 PM »

« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 04:16:51 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1243 on: October 06, 2012, 04:53:21 PM »

mine Mina:
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #1244 on: October 06, 2012, 04:54:16 PM »

^Why four times?

mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1245 on: October 06, 2012, 04:58:14 PM »

Firstly - with Syrians/Indians (Dec 25), then - with Armenians (Jan 6), then - with Copts, Ethiopians and Eritreans (Jan 7), and finally, with Old Calendar Armenians (Jan 19).
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #1246 on: October 06, 2012, 05:01:09 PM »

Firstly - with Syrians/Indians (Dec 25), then - with Armenians (Jan 6), then - with Copts, Ethiopians and Eritreans (Jan 7), and finally, with Old Calendar Armenians (Jan 19).
Ah, OK. I figured it would have something to do with the various calendars across different OO jurisdictions. I was just a bit confused because typically we don't celebrate the nativity on separate dates with our sister OO Churches.

Anyway, good meme. Smiley
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 05:01:20 PM by Severian » Logged

Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #1247 on: October 06, 2012, 05:06:16 PM »

« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 05:07:47 PM by Orthodox11 » Logged
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #1248 on: October 06, 2012, 05:08:36 PM »

LOL. So true.

Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #1249 on: October 06, 2012, 05:09:49 PM »

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #1250 on: October 06, 2012, 05:14:24 PM »

« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 05:22:00 PM by Severian » Logged

Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #1251 on: October 06, 2012, 05:18:45 PM »

mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1252 on: October 06, 2012, 05:19:35 PM »

again...
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 05:19:58 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #1253 on: October 06, 2012, 05:20:59 PM »

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #1254 on: October 06, 2012, 05:22:53 PM »

Could you explain?

Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #1255 on: October 06, 2012, 05:23:51 PM »

Sure, before Chalcedon everyone recited the 325 version. Ever read the acts of Ephesus I? The 381 version was rescued from oblivion by Marcian and his officials to show the council fathers that changes could be made to the creed and that even a new creed could be created.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 05:24:47 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1256 on: October 06, 2012, 05:25:05 PM »

I'm afraid to use that meme. Severian will hit me.

Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #1257 on: October 06, 2012, 05:25:40 PM »

Sure, before Chalcedon everyone recited the 325 version. Ever read the acts of Ephesus I?
I thought it was Peter the Fuller who first implemented the recitation of the Nicene-Constantinopolitan creed? Are you sure our recitation of the full creed has to do with Chalcedonian influence?

Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #1258 on: October 06, 2012, 05:26:26 PM »

Sure, before Chalcedon everyone recited the 325 version. Ever read the acts of Ephesus I?
I thought it was Peter the Fuller who first implemented the recitation of the Nicene-Constantinopolitan creed? Are you sure our recitation of the full creed has to do with Chalcedonian influence?

I'm pretty sure that without Chalcedon we'd sing the 325 one.

(PS: my previous post was edited)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 05:27:09 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #1259 on: October 06, 2012, 05:27:15 PM »

I'm afraid to use that meme. Severian will hit me.
Why would I? Huh

Tags: MEME Hyperdox cheval amusant memes 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: