OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 07:45:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hyperdox Herman  (Read 84679 times) Average Rating: 5
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #1035 on: August 13, 2012, 02:04:30 PM »

I rather favor the idea, depending on how "Constitutional" is interpreted.
An amendment to the U.S. Constitution creating a monarchy.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #1036 on: August 13, 2012, 02:11:19 PM »

Tells son not to "take that tone with him";

It's only sung during the Paschal season.

if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
OrthoNoob
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1037 on: August 13, 2012, 02:14:28 PM »

I rather favor the idea, depending on how "Constitutional" is interpreted.
An amendment to the U.S. Constitution creating a monarchy.

Oh. Wow. Well, that's a bit impractical. But good luck to whoever it was.

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1038 on: August 13, 2012, 04:53:01 PM »

and again

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #1039 on: August 13, 2012, 04:59:18 PM »

^ Bravo!!!   Cheesy

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #1040 on: August 13, 2012, 05:56:00 PM »

I understand this is mostly in jest and much of it is true, but I was wondering where the harm is in people, new converts, getting excited over becoming Orthodox.  I'm asking from lack of experience knowing there is likely a problem which is normal I am, as of yet, unaware.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #1041 on: August 13, 2012, 05:57:49 PM »

I was wondering where the harm is in people, new converts, getting excited over becoming Orthodox.
Excitement is not a problem.

Romanticizing and Divinizing Eastern Rome and various Slavic nations is a problem, however. See the Temptations of Jesus.

As is searching Orthodox Christianity for "the r34l" (slang term for the True Scotsman) Orthodox, who are then considered distinct from most Orthodox. See the Publican and the Pharisee.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 06:04:15 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #1042 on: August 13, 2012, 06:05:34 PM »

I was wondering where the harm is in people, new converts, getting excited over becoming Orthodox.

Romanticizing and Divinizing Eastern Rome and various Slavic nations is a problem, however. See the Temptations of Jesus.

As is searching Orthodox Christianity for "the r34l" (slang term for the True Scotsman) Orthodox, who are then considered distinct from most Orthodox. See the Publican and the Pharisee.
Empty actions vs. sincerity?
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #1043 on: August 13, 2012, 06:15:10 PM »

Christ's rejection of the Kingdoms of the World, the Pharisees exaltation of his piety over most people.

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #1044 on: August 13, 2012, 06:20:35 PM »

Christ's rejection of the Kingdoms of the World, the Pharisees exaltation of his piety over most people.
Got it now.  Thanks for taking the time to explain for me. Grin
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #1045 on: August 13, 2012, 06:24:50 PM »

Got it now.  Thanks for taking the time to explain for me. Grin
No prob.

NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #1046 on: August 13, 2012, 06:25:30 PM »

Refers to life before Chrismation:

"When I was still among the Nations..."
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 06:26:12 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #1047 on: August 13, 2012, 06:28:48 PM »

Spends several hours developing scheme to memorize one of the Gospels each year.

Hasn't read the Bible in months.
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Christians

Partisangirl
« Reply #1048 on: August 13, 2012, 06:58:08 PM »

Spends several hours developing scheme to memorize one of the Gospels each year.

Hasn't read the Bible in months.
IS OUTRAGE!!!

-He does not read the Bible

-Too Protestant

On hiatus from posting. Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact. Note that some of my older posts -especially those prior to late 2012- may not reflect my current views. In the meantime, please pray for my sinful self as I am in a critical and unsure juncture in my life. Thank you.
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #1049 on: August 13, 2012, 07:23:39 PM »

Rejects the "Cross Bearing Theotokos" icon because the archetype originated among heretics;

Accepts the Toll Houses.

Holds theological and sometimes political opinions contrary to those of the person making the meme at the moment.

I thought you'd agree with that one, William.

I do, actually.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1050 on: August 13, 2012, 07:25:33 PM »

Parish bookstore has commentary that explains bible verse by verse.

Western captivity!
William
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1051 on: August 14, 2012, 03:45:54 AM »

Hey guys, I like the idea of the 'Russian soul' and think that the last czar is actually a saint. Can I be Hyperdox Herman now?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 03:46:20 AM by William » Logged

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #1052 on: August 14, 2012, 05:18:29 AM »

Hey guys, I like the idea of the 'Russian soul' and think that the last czar is actually a saint. Can I be Hyperdox Herman now?
Maybe hyperdox Vladimir - yesterday a member of the Communist Party, today a hyperdox monarchist.
There are a lot of reasons not to consider the last tsar to be a saint - but since these are somewhat political, I would rather discuss it in the Politics Forum.
OrthoNoob
High Elder

« Reply #1053 on: August 14, 2012, 11:30:58 AM »

Maybe hyperdox Vladimir - yesterday a member of the Communist Party, today a hyperdox monarchist.
There are a lot of reasons not to consider the last tsar to be a saint - but since these are somewhat political, I would rather discuss it in the Politics Forum.

I'm new to Orthodoxy, so help me out here. The Church glorified St. Nicholas II. Isn't that the end of it? Do your personal feelings, beliefs, or opinions (about him or any other saint) allow you to refuse to venerate a Saint She has proclaimed?

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #1054 on: August 14, 2012, 11:59:50 AM »

Bloody holy Nicholas was a nice gentleman with rather petit bourgeois sensibilities and an incompetent ruler. That some put him in a calendar is only to please certain reactionary groups.
OrthoNoob
High Elder

« Reply #1055 on: August 14, 2012, 12:03:44 PM »

Bloody holy Nicholas was a nice gentleman with rather petit bourgeois sensibilities and an incompetent ruler. That some put him in a calendar is only to please certain reactionary groups.

I really don't want to debate monarchist vs. communist politics here. All I want to know is:

Can a faithful Orthodox Christian follow his own personal opinions in preference to the declarations of the Church when it comes to who is and is not a saint?

augustin717
Taxiarches

« Reply #1056 on: August 14, 2012, 12:05:57 PM »

He's only in the russian calendar anyways AFAIK. And I doubt he's gonna make it into another calendar.
OrthoNoob
High Elder

« Reply #1057 on: August 14, 2012, 12:11:54 PM »

He's only in the russian calendar anyways AFAIK. And I doubt he's gonna make it into another calendar.

So what does that mean for the Church universal? He's only in heaven in Russia?

augustin717
Taxiarches

« Reply #1058 on: August 14, 2012, 12:18:51 PM »

So what does that mean for the Church universal? He's only in heaven in Russia?
It means there is no office for him in Greek or Arabic or Romanian.
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #1059 on: August 14, 2012, 01:05:35 PM »

I really don't want to debate monarchist vs. communist politics here. All I want to know is:

Can a faithful Orthodox Christian follow his own personal opinions in preference to the declarations of the Church when it comes to who is and is not a saint?
I can't imagine that there is a ruling somewhere that says we must venerate each and every saint in the Orthodox Church. I don't know how many thousands there must be. I doubt that there is even a comprehensive list of all of them.

In the lives of most saints, one could quite likely find something objectionable.

Nicholas II was not canonized because of his politics or his ability (or lack of it) to rule the Russian Empire. That is a political question. He and his family were canonized for the way they met their death and for their Christian faith that prepared them to meet that death.

I think you're right that we need to set aside our personal feelings about any given person whom the Church declares to be a saint. We should at the very least have respect for the Church's action. However, that doesn't mean we won't have personal opinions. Really, there could easily be people in your own parish that you aren't particularly fond of  Wink.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #1060 on: August 14, 2012, 01:29:41 PM »

think that the last czar is actually a saint.
In the Methodist sense of the word or the ancient Christian sense of the word?

NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #1061 on: August 14, 2012, 01:31:00 PM »

The Moscow Patriarchate or ROCOR do not speak infallibly ex cathedra on matters of faith and morals. This ain't the RCC.

If we followed everything that was "proclaimed" in the age that proclaimed it from every particular synod, we'd all be Arians. Or Nestorians. Or Julianists. Or Monothelites. or Iconoclasts. Or Roman Catholics.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 01:31:56 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Gorazd
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #1062 on: August 14, 2012, 01:31:34 PM »

If someone is a mass murderer, there should be evidence beyond reasonable doubt that he repented for it. That's my position. Maybe not so theologically elaborate, but I do they saints venerated by the church should be models for the faithful.
OrthoNoob
High Elder

« Reply #1063 on: August 14, 2012, 02:23:02 PM »

If someone is a mass murderer, there should be evidence beyond reasonable doubt that he repented for it. That's my position. Maybe not so theologically elaborate, but I do they saints venerated by the church should be models for the faithful.

I'm pretty sure I can't answer this accusation without dragging this thread into politics, so...

@Genesisone

I think you and I largely agree.

To clarify: I'm not saying I think each and every Orthodox Christian must personally pray to or kiss the icon of each and every canonized saint. I'm not even saying you have to particularly like every saint. But there is something that rubs me the wrong way about obstinately holding the opinion that a saint is not in fact a saint and proclaiming that to the world.

I'm new to Orthodoxy, and so it's possible that I'm wrong, and if there's a council or a canon or a tradition or a precedent or something that allows the opposition to the veneration of canonized saints or defines the Church's power to canonize in a way that makes such opposition make sense, I'd like to see it.

Maybe I don't really know what "canonization" is in Orthodoxy, so I am open to correction, but:

When, if ever, according to those who refuse to venerate St. Nicholas II, is a saint finally and definitively a saint? What good is it to have a Church that proclaims saints if we can all just ignore Her rulings?

NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #1064 on: August 14, 2012, 02:27:04 PM »

This isn't like the RCC, where a saint is proclaimed by a universal magisterium after an investigation process. In the EO, sainthood is more informal and involves local synods of particular patriarchates or dioceses in some cases. It's more of a grassroots thing.

OrthoNoob
High Elder

« Reply #1065 on: August 14, 2012, 03:09:16 PM »

This isn't like the RCC, where a saint is proclaimed by a universal magisterium after an investigation process. In the EO, sainthood is more informal and involves local synods of particular patriarchates or dioceses in some cases. It's more of a grassroots thing.

OK. I get that it isn't the RCC. What is it? Is it ever definitive? If so, when?

Even saying "No/Never" would be an answer, as opposed to the above which really isn't.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1066 on: August 14, 2012, 03:15:32 PM »

You sure?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1067 on: August 14, 2012, 03:16:05 PM »

I would say that if a Local Church glorifies a saint, then the people that are part of that Local Church should generally accept the glorification. People in other Local Churches are not obligated to do anything, though I think it would be good if they gave the matter some attention. A lot of times a Local Church will glorify someone, but the process of acceptance of that saint by the rest of the Church is less straightforward. Sometimes there will be a lot of support for a saint outside their Local Church, sometimes the saint will be almost entirely unknown outside it, etc.  Throw politics and whatnot into the mix and it gets even messier.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1068 on: August 14, 2012, 03:31:35 PM »

I'm yet to hear about rejection of a glorification made by another one local Church.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #1069 on: August 14, 2012, 03:36:26 PM »

I'm pretty sure I can't answer this accusation without dragging this thread into politics, so...

@Genesisone

I think you and I largely agree.

To clarify: I'm not saying I think each and every Orthodox Christian must personally pray to or kiss the icon of each and every canonized saint. I'm not even saying you have to particularly like every saint. But there is something that rubs me the wrong way about obstinately holding the opinion that a saint is not in fact a saint and proclaiming that to the world.

I'm new to Orthodoxy, and so it's possible that I'm wrong, and if there's a council or a canon or a tradition or a precedent or something that allows the opposition to the veneration of canonized saints or defines the Church's power to canonize in a way that makes such opposition make sense, I'd like to see it.

Maybe I don't really know what "canonization" is in Orthodoxy, so I am open to correction, but:

When, if ever, according to those who refuse to venerate St. Nicholas II, is a saint finally and definitively a saint? What good is it to have a Church that proclaims saints if we can all just ignore Her rulings?
To comment on what I've emphasized: yes, you and I agree. I may disagree with the Church's declaration, but I still ought to respect it, even while expressing my lack of understanding for the reasoning behind the canonization. All of that is way above my pay grade. Since I'm not required to make a display of veneration, then I can simply pass by, just as I might treat someone in my parish whom I find offensive. (and no - I have no one at all in mind for that last statement!)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1070 on: August 14, 2012, 04:00:59 PM »

I'm yet to hear about rejection of a glorification made by another one local Church.

Not an entire local Church, but I know a (retired) OCA bishop who rejects the glorification of St. John of Kronstadt. Or at least he did at one time.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #1071 on: August 14, 2012, 04:03:18 PM »

Is it ever definitive? If so, when?
If you mean "infallible", I'd say never. I believe God loves us too much to take our humanity from us.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1072 on: August 14, 2012, 05:17:04 PM »

going back on the topic

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #1073 on: August 14, 2012, 05:27:20 PM »

Joins OC.net;

Rails against character limit in the 'Jurisdiction' field

Rufus
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #1074 on: August 14, 2012, 10:56:38 PM »

That's because glorification normally follows a persons popular acceptance as a saint, rather than preceding it. And how many glorifications can you name that were seriously controversial?
William
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1075 on: August 15, 2012, 05:33:46 AM »

Gorazd, I'm neither a communist nor a monarchist simply because I like some aspects of Russian culture and believe in St. Nicholas.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1076 on: August 15, 2012, 05:59:29 AM »

That's because glorification normally follows a persons popular acceptance as a saint, rather than preceding it. And how many glorifications can you name that were seriously controversial?

Last Car's Family, Cyrill Lukaris, Theodore Ushakov - to name some recent ones.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Rufus
OC.net guru

« Reply #1077 on: August 15, 2012, 11:47:05 AM »

Last Car's Family, Cyrill Lukaris, Theodore Ushakov - to name some recent ones.

The fact that Theodore Ushakov is a saint is not going to encourage anyone to venerate the Czar.
Rufus
OC.net guru

« Reply #1078 on: August 15, 2012, 11:52:28 AM »

Hyperdox Herman:
-Has Icons of the Czar all over his prayer corner
-Will become a Catechumen soon
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #1079 on: August 15, 2012, 09:02:20 PM »

I'm really starting to like Hyperdox Herman.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Tags: MEME Hyperdox cheval amusant memes 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: