OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 25, 2014, 09:46:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hyperdox Herman  (Read 98448 times) Average Rating: 5
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #360 on: April 16, 2012, 03:52:22 PM »

Sees people sitting on the floor during Paschal liturgy

Cradle Christopher:  Sits with them, introduces himself, asks for cigarette.

Hyperdox Herman:  Grabs them by ears and pulls them to their feet, makes them stand with the choir so they can sing.

^This happened at my Church on Pascha, and I started wondering what Hyperdox Herman and Cradle Christopher would do.   Wink

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #361 on: April 16, 2012, 04:03:28 PM »

Probably going to get flamed like heck for this, but I like the idea of a female Cradle Christopher; let's call her Cradle Christina.

-Cradle Christina-

Priest says dress modestly for Church

...All this tight spandex should cover me! Smiley

-Cradle Christina-

Complains that standing up for the Pascha service is too hard

...Is wearing six-inch spike heels

-Cradle Christina-

Pffh, no headcovering?! That woman over there has no class!

...Wears short black dress and hoop earrings to match headcovering

-Cradle Christina-

What a tramp, that girl's bra strap is showing!

...Good thing I'm not wearing one

some of your best work to date...
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #362 on: April 16, 2012, 04:05:09 PM »

In all fairness though, i think the cigarette jokes have been smoked all the way to the filter (i.e. we need more drinking jokes) Cheesy

Since I'm too lazy (or drunk, happy Pascha!) to make one-

Hyperdox Herman:

Used to be Baptist and never touched alcohol

Calls you a lightweight when you don't drink 40 shots of plumb brandy on the feast day of the 40 martyrs

So, when is the Feast of the 40 Martyrs again...

**I would like to mention that during Serb-fest in the summer, my friends and I pay for 25% of the Church's yearly operating cost.

March 9- one of the few non-weekend wine and oil days during Lent.

WHAT?!?  We didn't have a service that night and I missed out on my 40 shots of Slivovitz???  What is this world coming to.

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #363 on: April 16, 2012, 04:11:37 PM »

Hyperdox Herman sees reader cross himself imperfectly.

Starts a Mission Church at home.

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #364 on: April 16, 2012, 04:14:50 PM »

i asked that in catechesis once. "why do some people cross themselves lower on the left shoulder than on the right?" The instructor told me that they were just lazy. Now i do it the same way.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #365 on: April 16, 2012, 04:33:56 PM »

i asked that in catechesis once. "why do some people cross themselves lower on the left shoulder than on the right?" The instructor told me that they were just lazy. Now i do it the same way.

I've seen some clergy who don't touch their shoulder/chest at all, but merely dangle their hand in front.   Shocked

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #366 on: April 16, 2012, 04:39:03 PM »

I've seen some clergy who don't touch their shoulder/chest at all, but merely dangle their hand in front.   Shocked

Cry

it makes one think, was Christ merely made to look as if he was suspended on the cross being held up by air, or was he held there by nails?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 04:40:52 PM by Ortho_cat » Logged
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #367 on: April 16, 2012, 05:21:12 PM »

This was a two-finger crossing, not a lazy one.

Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #368 on: April 16, 2012, 05:24:58 PM »

Hyperdox Herman:  Grabs them by ears and pulls them to their feet, makes them stand with the choir so they can sing.

^This happened at my Church on Pascha, and I started wondering what Hyperdox Herman and Cradle Christopher would do.   Wink

Someone asked for a cigarette in church? Huh
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #369 on: April 16, 2012, 05:28:51 PM »

Someone asked for a cigarette in church? Huh

I was exaggerating a bit  Wink

We had these three kids (not older than 20), one guy and two girls show up for Pascha.  The poor guy had on a polo, shorts and flip-flops (It started to lightly hail and get very cold for the procession).  They sat cross-legged on the floor for the rest of the service after the procession. 

I had no issues, but I was surprised when no one said anything.  During my first passion gospels service, I started to feel ill and sat in the pew for a bit instead of standing, and a woman from the choir behind me tapped me and said that if I couldn't stand I ahd to kneel...
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 05:30:07 PM by trevor72694 » Logged

akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #370 on: April 16, 2012, 05:30:49 PM »

What a tramp, that girl's bra strap is showing!

...Good thing I'm not wearing one

Gold!

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #371 on: April 16, 2012, 05:32:19 PM »

During my first passion gospels service, I started to feel ill and sat in the pew for a bit instead of standing, and a woman from the choir behind me tapped me and said that if I couldn't stand I ahd to kneel...

See, this is why I'm glad no one has ever done that to me. If they had, I'd have given them half the peace sign...
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #372 on: April 16, 2012, 05:35:29 PM »

During my first passion gospels service, I started to feel ill and sat in the pew for a bit instead of standing, and a woman from the choir behind me tapped me and said that if I couldn't stand I ahd to kneel...

See, this is why I'm glad no one has ever done that to me. If they had, I'd have given them half the peace sign...

It actually embarrassed me quite a bit, especially since this person was a newer member than myself.  I just felt like they had no right to tell me how I should act. 

I think that it was quite a lesson on how to treat others in Church.

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #373 on: April 16, 2012, 05:38:57 PM »

The poor guy had on a polo, shorts and flip-flops (It started to lightly hail and get very cold for the procession).

I understand that we need to be a little bit more liberal and laid back since we are trying to reach out to Americans and gain converts, but I find this really inappropriate and think that someone should have told him something, even if it was just the Priest in private when everything was over. I mean, Pascha is the most important event of the year and combine this with the fact that the Church is a temple; I really do not think waltzing in dressed all casual like it is a Protestant rock-concert Church service is appropriate at all. We shouldn't have to change our standards for people just because American society along with Protestantism has lowered theirs.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 05:58:28 PM by JamesR » Logged

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #374 on: April 16, 2012, 05:40:59 PM »

I find this really inappropriate and think that someone should have told him something, even if it was just the Priest in private when everything was over

If it was done in private, then how would you know whether it was done or not?

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #375 on: April 16, 2012, 05:41:46 PM »

The poor guy had on a polo, shorts and flip-flops (It started to lightly hail and get very cold for the procession).

I understand that we need to be a little bit more liberal and laid back since we are trying to reach out to Americans and gain converts, but I find this really inappropriate and think that someone should have told him something, even if it was just the Priest in private when everything was over. I mean, Pascha is the most important event of the year and combine this with the fact that the Church is a temple; I really do not thinking waltzing all in dresses all casual like it is a Protestant rock-concert Church service is appropriate at all. We shouldn't have to change our standards for people just because American society along with Protestantism has lowered theirs.

I certainly see your point.  I think that these people were probably just curious and stumbled upon our website or soemthing, and wanted to some to our Easter service (Pascha).  It's common in my community for people not to go to Church at all.  He could not of been aware that what he was wearing was disrespectful.

I think, if it's God's will, he'll return in some nice closed-toed shoes and some slacks  Smiley

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #376 on: April 16, 2012, 05:44:11 PM »

I find this really inappropriate and think that someone should have told him something, even if it was just the Priest in private when everything was over

I never thought of that. Anyway, I mean, the guy should have at least made some effort to dress nicer and think that this is an important event. Even if he just wore a button-up shirt and shorts, but coming in like that is unacceptable. My mom is not even Orthodox and does not even know what Pascha means, but knowing that it is very important for us and that it is a Church, she wouldn't even let me wear my casual Vans shoes with my suit to Pascha because she said they were inappropriate; she made me wear fancy leather dress shoes that I never wore before. I think that if my mother, who is a Protestant with little to no knowledge on Orthodoxy, would go this far for me, that this guy in question could have at least made some more effort than he did.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #377 on: April 16, 2012, 05:47:35 PM »

I understand that we need to be a little bit more liberal and laid back since we are trying to reach out to Americans and gain converts, but I find this really inappropriate and think that someone should have told him something, even if it was just the Priest in private when everything was over. I mean, Pascha is the most important event of the year and combine this with the fact that the Church is a temple; I really do not thinking waltzing all in dresses all casual like it is a Protestant rock-concert Church service is appropriate at all. We shouldn't have to change our standards for people just because American society along with Protestantism has lowered theirs.

Our priest is rather vocal about people needing to be dressed properly for church, though he tends to be a bit more lenient on weekday services about jeans, seeing as most of us who go to those have just come from a 8-9 hour day at work!

Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #378 on: April 16, 2012, 06:05:46 PM »

Our priest is rather vocal about people needing to be dressed properly for church, though he tends to be a bit more lenient on weekday services about jeans, seeing as most of us who go to those have just come from a 8-9 hour day at work!

I've never been told about my wearing jeans, which is most Sundays (if I'm not wearing kakhy cargo pants).  I only just bought some dress slacks which I'll be wearing.  I just wear my jeans with some nice shoes and a nice polo or button-up shirt.  Father knows that my family doesn't have alot of money to spend on nice clothes, so I wear what I can. 

I would never dream of showing my legs by wearing shorts anywhere, not to mention in Church!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 06:07:19 PM by trevor72694 » Logged

FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #379 on: April 16, 2012, 06:12:17 PM »

I never thought of that. Anyway, I mean, the guy should have at least made some effort to dress nicer and think that this is an important event. Even if he just wore a button-up shirt and shorts, but coming in like that is unacceptable. My mom is not even Orthodox and does not even know what Pascha means, but knowing that it is very important for us and that it is a Church, she wouldn't even let me wear my casual Vans shoes with my suit to Pascha because she said they were inappropriate; she made me wear fancy leather dress shoes that I never wore before. I think that if my mother, who is a Protestant with little to no knowledge on Orthodoxy, would go this far for me, that this guy in question could have at least made some more effort than he did.

I also wouldn't be too quick to judge- my own job ended up (insert some less profanity laden term that still appropriately expresses the level of anger here)ing me over on my schedule so that by the time I got out of work the Pascha service had already started and by the time I got to my parish the Procession was just wrapping up. Expecting to get out of work much earlier and with time to spare for getting changed I had changed out of my suit and into my work clothes before leaving following the Holy Saturday Liturgy of St Basil. As it was, I ended up attending in my work clothes and reeking of fast food, my suit in the choir room. I'm just glad I was able to make the service at all and very seriously looking for another job.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #380 on: April 16, 2012, 06:17:59 PM »

I also wouldn't be too quick to judge- my own job ended up (insert some less profanity laden term that still appropriately expresses the level of anger here)ing me over on my schedule so that by the time I got out of work the Pascha service had already started and by the time I got to my parish the Procession was just wrapping up. Expecting to get out of work much earlier and with time to spare for getting changed I had changed out of my suit and into my work clothes before leaving following the Holy Saturday Liturgy of St Basil. As it was, I ended up attending in my work clothes and reeking of fast food, my suit in the choir room. I'm just glad I was able to make the service at all and very seriously looking for another job.

When I was working in fast food last summer, the only way I was going to make vespers was if I attended in my uniform.  I got off at 5pm, had to stay to have my manager count down the cash drawer which took until about 5:20, and had to make vespers at 5:30. 

I, sadly, didn't smell like the food we served.  I smelled like the cleaning agent we used on tables, soap and perspiration.  It was pretty gross, but everyone pretended not to notice  Grin .

Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #381 on: April 16, 2012, 06:54:01 PM »

Hmm, I wear jeans... I think slacks look ridiculous on me. I feel like I'm dressing down if I put them on, rather than dressing up. I started to put some on for Easter thinking I should wear them but it felt totally wrong. They feel like pajamas and look weird. To me they are work clothes not nice dressy clothes.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 06:55:21 PM by Jason.Wike » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #382 on: April 16, 2012, 07:18:51 PM »

I almost always go in jenas and there were a few times I went in shorts (however my mom scolded me for that).

Pascha is the separate case, though. I was in suit.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 07:20:16 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #383 on: April 16, 2012, 07:43:28 PM »

I have skipped liturgy before because I was away from home and didn't have any nice clothes with me.

Mission accomplished by the judgmental hyperdox crowd, I suppose.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #384 on: April 16, 2012, 09:00:46 PM »

Try keeping an emergency suit or at least a nice shirt and dress pants in a suitcase in the trunk of your car for those moments.

Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #385 on: April 16, 2012, 09:29:00 PM »

Try keeping an emergency suit or at least a nice shirt and dress pants in a suitcase in the trunk of your car for those moments.
Emergency church visits?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 09:29:31 PM by Agabus » Logged

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #386 on: April 16, 2012, 09:43:45 PM »

Hmmm- work or casual clothes versus wrinkled suit/dress shirt (for those who actually have their own car that is- my suit stayed at church because there is a very nice train connecting work and church and gas is expensive!)- yeah, I'll take option (a).

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #387 on: April 16, 2012, 09:46:08 PM »

I keep a blanket in the trunk for emergencies... I could just throw it over me toga style  Grin
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #388 on: April 16, 2012, 10:04:08 PM »

Dark jeans or slacks and a collared shirt are my uniform for church. Nothing too fancy, though I did wear a sports jacket for Pascha.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #389 on: April 16, 2012, 10:19:10 PM »

Dark jeans or slacks and a collared shirt are my uniform for church. Nothing too fancy, though I did wear a sports jacket for Pascha.

I never wear jeans to Church, although, I am considering it now since I've progressed beyond the Hyperdox stage. I wore a suit to Pascha, but I also wore a black, heavy but casual jacket as well because it was pretty cold.

Quinault
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #390 on: April 16, 2012, 10:20:17 PM »

I have to make fun of myself here. (and share my adorable baby Grin )

Hyperdox Henrietta makes her baby wear a suit to Pascha
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 10:20:51 PM by Quinault » Logged
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #391 on: April 16, 2012, 10:20:36 PM »

I never wear jeans to Church, although, I am considering it now since I've progressed beyond the Hyperdox stage. I wore a suit to Pascha, but I also wore a black, heavy but casual jacket as well because it was pretty cold.

On a serious note, is it natural for coverts to go through a hyperdox stage and then to simmer down?  

Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #392 on: April 16, 2012, 10:23:16 PM »

On a serious note, is it natural for coverts to go through a hyperdox stage and then to simmer down?  
Does the Pope poop in the woods?

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #393 on: April 16, 2012, 10:35:40 PM »

I used the more vulgar form of this one in front of a coworker once who asked, in all seriousness, "he does?"

Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #394 on: April 16, 2012, 10:44:42 PM »

I keep a blanket in the trunk for emergencies... I could just throw it over me toga style  Grin
A nice wool tallit comes in handy on cold mornings

Proverbs 22:7
witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #395 on: April 16, 2012, 10:47:01 PM »

I never thought of that. Anyway, I mean, the guy should have at least made some effort to dress nicer and think that this is an important event.

a. I'm just glad the guy was in Church. A lot of people weren't.
b. As a 24-year-old grad student with a chronically ill wife and 2 small children, I was just happy I had a pair of jeans without any holes in them to wear to Pascha. And if my one good pair of jeans had gotten ripped at the last minute, which would be more important? Wearing whatever I had available or skipping Pascha because I couldn't dress to people's standards?
c. You don't know what the priest may have said to him. You don't know what his godfather may have said to him. You don't know what 3 other strangers may have said to him. Do you even want to take a chance on being stranger #6 who instead of welcoming him to the Feast, criticized his presence and became the straw that broke the camel's back and caused him never to come back to that unwelcoming church?
d. What is more important, his salvation or what he's wearing? What is more important, you focusing on the prayers or paying attention to what other people are wearing?

Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.

If someone asks, it's perfectly appropriate to tell them what you think they should wear. If they don't, it's perfectly appropriate to mind your own business--as in worry about your own salvation.

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #396 on: April 16, 2012, 10:56:43 PM »

I never thought of that. Anyway, I mean, the guy should have at least made some effort to dress nicer and think that this is an important event.

b. As a 24-year-old grad student with a chronically ill wife and 2 small children, I was just happy I had a pair of jeans without any holes in them to wear to Pascha. And if my one good pair of jeans had gotten ripped at the last minute, which would be more important? Wearing whatever I had available or skipping Pascha because I couldn't dress to people's standards?
c. You don't know what the priest may have said to him. You don't know what his godfather may have said to him. You don't know what 3 other strangers may have said to him. Do you even want to take a chance on being stranger #6 who instead of welcoming him to the Feast, criticized his presence and became the straw that broke the camel's back and caused him never to come back to that unwelcoming church?
d. What is more important, his salvation or what he's wearing? What is more important, you focusing on the prayers or paying attention to what other people are wearing?

Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.

If someone asks, it's perfectly appropriate to tell them what you think they should wear. If they don't, it's perfectly appropriate to mind your own business--as in worry about your own salvation.

I agree with you.   Smiley

ironchapman
A bull of truth in the china shop of falsehoods.
High Elder

Faith: Serious inquirer into Orthodoxy.

« Reply #397 on: April 17, 2012, 02:27:55 AM »

Dude, I wear a polo and black jeans to church a lot. In the summer, I frequently wear shorts. Always my nicer of each, but I don't normally break out the suit unless it's something like a wedding, funeral, or maybe Easter and Christmas (really do want to start getting in the habit again for the latter two). Or a formal banquet, but that's not necessarily a church-related thing. Never had anyone stop to tell me I should dress differently, priest or laity, nor do I really feel like I should.

I understand that we need to be a little bit more liberal and laid back since we are trying to reach out to Americans and gain converts
Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't you an American and a recent convert?

I like this approach.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." --Bertrand Russell
ironchapman
A bull of truth in the china shop of falsehoods.
High Elder

Faith: Serious inquirer into Orthodoxy.

« Reply #398 on: April 17, 2012, 02:29:15 AM »

Is a bear Catholic?

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." --Bertrand Russell
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #399 on: April 17, 2012, 02:43:10 AM »

It's not a Hyperdox thing to dress formally in a church. I used to dress less formally when I was more Hyperdox than I am now.

EDIT: But on the other hand making a fuss about what to wear to the services IS a Hyperdox thing. Unless of course one happens to be a dandy.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 02:45:02 AM by Alpo » Logged

NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #400 on: April 17, 2012, 03:08:27 AM »

Is a bear Catholic?
Blasphemy! St. Seraphim of Sarov was not a Latinizer!  police police police

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #401 on: April 17, 2012, 03:12:04 AM »

The rest aren't as serious.  I hate to judge, but you can see their underwear through their spandex pants.  It's crazy.  Would they dress like that back in ___? 

Yes.  The best part is that Ukrainians usually complain that Americans have no sense of fashion.  The hardest part of being a teacher is suppressing laughter at such comments coming from someone dressed like a prostitute from the 80s on LSD.    
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #402 on: April 17, 2012, 03:23:26 AM »

I almost always go in jenas and there were a few times I went in shorts (however my mom scolded me for that).

Right.  Going to Church in a Baptist style "Sunday Best" would seem dramatically out of place in Eastern Europe.  Is it that difficult to just wear normal clothes (i.e not beach clothes) to church? 
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #403 on: April 17, 2012, 03:33:50 AM »

The rest aren't as serious.  I hate to judge, but you can see their underwear through their spandex pants.  It's crazy.  Would they dress like that back in ___? 

Yes.  The best part is that Ukrainians usually complain that Americans have no sense of fashion.  The hardest part of being a teacher is suppressing laughter at such comments coming from someone dressed like a prostitute from the 80s on LSD.    

I love you.

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #404 on: April 17, 2012, 07:16:20 AM »

Right.  Going to Church in a Baptist style "Sunday Best" would seem dramatically out of place in Eastern Europe.  Is it that difficult to just wear normal clothes (i.e not beach clothes) to church? 

Orthodoxy is not an Eastern European religion. I don't know about Ukraine but in my parish there are several men wearing suit and tie in the regular sunday liturgies. Both Finns and at least one Russian. Younger people tend to dress less formally but most of the elderly men wear some kind of "Sunday Best" even if it isn't exactly a suit. Same goes with the elderly females. And I don't think I have noticed anyone giving me weird looks for wearing a tie or a bowtie on sundays despite my fairly young age.

And it isn't some kind of weirdo Hyperdox parish filled with crazy converts. I actually haven't encountered any of those or individual Hermans in Finland. That seems to be an American phenomenon.

Tags: MEME Hyperdox cheval amusant memes 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: