OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 22, 2014, 04:18:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hyperdox Herman  (Read 87514 times) Average Rating: 5
Ionnis
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #90 on: February 24, 2012, 01:27:14 PM »

Internet Ignatius:

Skips Vespers to post on OC.net

Condemns zeal of new convert

ooooooooooooooh snap!
I have found Internet Ignatius and Hyperdox Herman are often the same person.

This has been my observation as well.  :-)

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
FountainPen
Is not wasting any more of her ink
OC.net guru

« Reply #91 on: February 24, 2012, 01:36:11 PM »

Is not lame at all, it's one of the only ones i laughed at. If a husband called me a 'helpmeet' i would have to have a 'week off' (for prayer of course) until they desisted.

But, FP, you're not even Orthodox, let alone Hyperdox. So why sweat about it? Wink laugh laugh

I sweateth not; i should have used a winky.

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try. Mark Twain
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #92 on: February 24, 2012, 06:09:02 PM »

I know Herman is hyperdox and all but I had to poke some fun at other things...

This is for Isa:

For my protestant buddies:

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #93 on: February 24, 2012, 06:46:28 PM »

Here is another one for someone to photoshop, please:

~~~~~

Condemns New Agers for superstitions

Wears Evil Eye amulet or garlic necklace
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 06:47:55 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #94 on: February 24, 2012, 07:02:02 PM »

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Christopher McAvoy
Never forget the Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate & all persecuted christians!
Elder

Faith: orthodóxis, atque cathólice et apostólice fídei
Jurisdiction: Latin Catholic from the 12th c.

« Reply #95 on: February 24, 2012, 07:03:06 PM »

I've never been the same since I witnessed a large evil eye placed on the iconostasis of the orthodox church in "greek town" section of Baltimore. With all the more important matters learn to ignore such things.

The garlic necklace is a new concept however. Is this something real?  Perhaps that is a romanian idea? (count dracula etc.)

"and for all who are Orthodox, and who hold the Catholic and Apostolic Faith, remember, O Lord, thy servants" - yet the post-conciliar RC hierarchy is tolerant of everyone and everything... except Catholic Tradition, for modernists are as salt with no taste, to be “thrown out and trampled under foot
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #96 on: February 24, 2012, 07:09:54 PM »

I've never been the same since I witnessed a large evil eye placed on the iconostasis of the orthodox church in "greek town" section of Baltimore. With all the more important matters learn to ignore such things.

The garlic necklace is a new concept however. Is this something real?  Perhaps that is a romanian idea? (count dracula etc.)

Did you ever see MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING?

They mention quite a few Greek superstitions.

A certain Greek Orthodox Christian (who rarely goes to church and who will not be named) could offer a course on Greek Superstitions 101 as she abides by them all. And she gets so very sensitive if I manage to violate a hidden Greek Taboo. It is beyond ridiculous.

Her little daughters must wear a clove of garlic around their necks whenever someone says they are pretty.
Garlic is so smelly that it is said to chase the demons of vanity and pride away. Wish that were so simple. I would rather wear the Cross around my neck than gag on garlic.

Indeed, some superdox Greek Orthodox Yiayias swear by all these Greek superstitions. As far as they are concerned, they are part of the canons of the Orthodox Church.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 07:16:03 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #97 on: February 24, 2012, 07:49:12 PM »

Who came up with this one.  More than any other pictures I'm sure this one will make people mad.  A little over the line no?

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #98 on: February 24, 2012, 08:04:22 PM »

Who came up with this one.  More than any other pictures I'm sure this one will make people mad.  A little over the line no?

No. Of the set it was included in, I asked which was my favorite . . .

You won!

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #99 on: February 24, 2012, 08:05:51 PM »

A certain Greek Orthodox Christian (who rarely goes to church and who will not be named) could offer a course on Greek Superstitions 101 as she abides by them all. And she gets so very sensitive if I manage to violate a hidden Greek Taboo. It is beyond ridiculous.

Her little daughters must wear a clove of garlic around their necks whenever someone says they are pretty.
Garlic is so smelly that it is said to chase the demons of vanity and pride away. Wish that were so simple. I would rather wear the Cross around my neck than gag on garlic.

Indeed, some superdox Greek Orthodox Yiayias swear by all these Greek superstitions. As far as they are concerned, they are part of the canons of the Orthodox Church.

Without the pangyros, superstitions, and car raffles, what else is there?

Oh. The weddings.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #100 on: February 24, 2012, 08:07:11 PM »

Oh. The weddings.

Please no one use the word irony to refer to my post above.

Thanks.

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #101 on: February 24, 2012, 08:37:55 PM »

Oh. The weddings.

Too funny.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #102 on: February 24, 2012, 08:53:18 PM »

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #103 on: February 24, 2012, 09:13:02 PM »

He says: What is false ecumenism?

Ecumenism is heretical.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

Faith: Chalcedonian Automaton Serial No. 5Aj4bx9
Jurisdiction: Chalcedonian Automaton Factory 5

« Reply #104 on: February 24, 2012, 10:24:17 PM »

Sadly, there is a grain of truth to the second one.

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #105 on: February 25, 2012, 12:38:55 AM »

I know Herman is hyperdox and all but I had to poke some fun at other things...

I like this one the most!

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Christopher McAvoy
Never forget the Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate & all persecuted christians!
Elder

Faith: orthodóxis, atque cathólice et apostólice fídei
Jurisdiction: Latin Catholic from the 12th c.

« Reply #106 on: February 25, 2012, 12:58:54 AM »

Concerning susperstitions, I have not dwelt a great deal on these, as for me they are unimportant. I'll keep in mind the explanation for the garlic if I should ever see that occur.

Concerning Seraphim Rose...and homosexuals who enter monasteries, I do not believe that this is right. Perhaps after years of "reparative therapy". But if this is a disorder that is prevalent in someone, I would say they ought to be left alone as a hermit.

I would acknolwedge one as a saint , however I would not say that they should have been in a monastery.

The last thing we need is a bunch of men living together who are homosexuals.

For monasticism, in latin west, greek east...oriental east, this has been an eternal problem.
Homosexuality is a curse upon the Church, like all the other major sins. When it occurs and men or women are left alone who have it ..it is I feel too common for temptations to occur and they fall. When that happens it leads to greater evils.

Primarily I feel that it allows clergy to be able to be blackmailed into doing bad things.

So I can not accept homosexuality disorder in monasteries. It may always be there somewhere, but it always needs to be sought ought and stamped out, avoided at all costs. The feelings and evidence I have seen and felt of this being wrong I will go to the grave believing in, without my mind being changed. It is a basic obvious dangerous disorder.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 01:00:49 AM by Christopher McAvoy » Logged

"and for all who are Orthodox, and who hold the Catholic and Apostolic Faith, remember, O Lord, thy servants" - yet the post-conciliar RC hierarchy is tolerant of everyone and everything... except Catholic Tradition, for modernists are as salt with no taste, to be “thrown out and trampled under foot
Ionnis
OC.net guru

« Reply #107 on: February 25, 2012, 01:04:55 AM »

Christopher, your beliefs on the matter of homosexuality and monasticism are alien to the Church of Christ.  If you are interested in educating yourself, I recommend the unabridged letters of Sts. Barsanuphius and John.

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #108 on: February 25, 2012, 01:10:03 AM »

Christopher, your beliefs on the matter of homosexuality and monasticism are alien to the Church of Christ.  If you are interested in educating yourself, I recommend the unabridged letters of Sts. Barsanuphius and John.
But they are seemingly, the official position of the contemporary Roman Church, although I really doubt they'll really go on this witch hunt unless they want monasteries totally depopulated (something like 90%).
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #109 on: February 25, 2012, 01:10:53 AM »

What are you referring to? This?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Ionnis
OC.net guru

« Reply #110 on: February 25, 2012, 01:15:36 AM »

What are you referring to? This?

No, these:

Vol 1: http://www.amazon.com/Letters-Barsanuphius-John-Fathers-Church/dp/0813201136/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330147022&sr=8-1

Vol 2: http://www.amazon.com/Barsanuphius-John-Letters-Fathers-Church/dp/0813201144/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1330147022&sr=8-7

Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

Faith: Chalcedonian Automaton Serial No. 5Aj4bx9
Jurisdiction: Chalcedonian Automaton Factory 5

« Reply #111 on: February 25, 2012, 02:12:06 AM »

Concerning susperstitions, I have not dwelt a great deal on these, as for me they are unimportant. I'll keep in mind the explanation for the garlic if I should ever see that occur.

Concerning Seraphim Rose...and homosexuals who enter monasteries, I do not believe that this is right. Perhaps after years of "reparative therapy". But if this is a disorder that is prevalent in someone, I would say they ought to be left alone as a hermit.

I would acknolwedge one as a saint , however I would not say that they should have been in a monastery.

The last thing we need is a bunch of men living together who are homosexuals.

For monasticism, in latin west, greek east...oriental east, this has been an eternal problem.
Homosexuality is a curse upon the Church, like all the other major sins. When it occurs and men or women are left alone who have it ..it is I feel too common for temptations to occur and they fall. When that happens it leads to greater evils.

Primarily I feel that it allows clergy to be able to be blackmailed into doing bad things.

So I can not accept homosexuality disorder in monasteries. It may always be there somewhere, but it always needs to be sought ought and stamped out, avoided at all costs. The feelings and evidence I have seen and felt of this being wrong I will go to the grave believing in, without my mind being changed. It is a basic obvious dangerous disorder.
Being a hermit is not just some sort of alternative to communal living. It certainly is not something that all people who feel the call to flee the world are able to do, and it should not be forced upon anybody.

If men who in the past murdered others could wind up living as cenobitic monastics, so too can men who are same-sex attracted.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 02:31:33 AM by Cavaradossi » Logged

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #112 on: February 25, 2012, 02:14:05 AM »

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #113 on: February 25, 2012, 03:29:37 AM »

I've never been the same since I witnessed a large evil eye placed on the iconostasis of the orthodox church in "greek town" section of Baltimore.
That's actually not an evil eye.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #114 on: February 25, 2012, 03:34:20 AM »

Again, let's not let seriousness spoil the fun.

Good grief.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #115 on: February 25, 2012, 03:37:21 AM »

words

Herman or get out.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #116 on: February 25, 2012, 10:15:13 AM »

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #117 on: February 25, 2012, 01:33:32 PM »

Internet Ignatius

Prayer of Internet Ignatius

FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #118 on: February 25, 2012, 01:43:26 PM »

Sorry, I couldn't resist  angel

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #119 on: February 25, 2012, 02:36:32 PM »

Sorry, I couldn't resist  angel

Grin
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #120 on: February 25, 2012, 03:18:19 PM »

and again

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #121 on: February 25, 2012, 04:03:14 PM »

and again

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #122 on: February 25, 2012, 05:17:17 PM »

and again

Some Priests who are converts also put the McDonald's burger in their Pascha Basket, even if it is a little cold by the time they get to eat it way past midnight.

We should start another thread about what one can find in Pascha baskets.
That might be a riot.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 05:17:46 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #123 on: February 25, 2012, 05:17:44 PM »

and again
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 05:17:57 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #124 on: February 25, 2012, 05:21:24 PM »

and again

Don't know if that one actually counts as hyperdox- given the fact that many people spend more time online than in real life, their facebook friends are the ones they've probably offended the most!

username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #125 on: February 25, 2012, 07:18:53 PM »

and again

Some Priests who are converts also put the McDonald's burger in their Pascha Basket, even if it is a little cold by the time they get to eat it way past midnight.

That might be a riot.

AHHHHHHHHHH I loathe that,  the highpoint of American culture is a cold cheeseburger and they want american orthodoxy?

FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #126 on: February 25, 2012, 07:24:25 PM »

and again

That might be a riot.

AHHHHHHHHHH I loathe that,  the highpoint of American culture is a cold cheeseburger and they want american orthodoxy?

Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of American foods that are any good cold, and the Pascha service being as long as it is and ending when it does kind of prevents anything being served warm. That said, a nice hot cheeseburger, preferably from somewhere better than McDonald's, is indeed the highpoint of American (food) culture, and I am in no way ashamed of that. The other high-point of American cultures is, like the Borg, all other cultures are assimilated, so I have no problem putting whatever the local parish tradition is in the basket.

Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #127 on: February 26, 2012, 08:46:39 AM »

As we enter the great fast

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #128 on: February 26, 2012, 09:28:12 AM »

The guy kind of looks like Gebre.....

Hey, let's keep this nice.

Gebre is way handsomer than that fine fellow.

lol! Thanks, I think.

I am a Monarchist, and I do have a lot of icons in my prayer corner (although only a couple of them are authentic). I've had my beard since long before I was Orthodox. I love the Jesus Prayer, but I can hardly claim to practice it thoroughly and consistantly. I love the Divine Liturgy, and yet I miss Church way too often. I've read a lot of books about Orthodoxy, but I have yet to cultivate an Orthodox heart. As soon as I get my robe and start wearing it everywhere I go, then I'll put "Hyperdox Herman" to shame.  Wink

Selam

"If we are unwilling to accept any truth that we have not first discovered and declared ourselves, we demonstrate that we are interested not in the truth so much as in being right." ~ Thomas Merton ~
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #129 on: February 26, 2012, 03:05:15 PM »

and again

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #130 on: February 26, 2012, 04:02:56 PM »

and again

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #131 on: February 26, 2012, 04:16:08 PM »

then I'll put "Hyperdox Herman" to shame.  Wink

Selam

Don't be so humble . . .

All in good fun Gebre.

And I did mean what I said. You are way handsomer than our anonymous pal whose become the face of hyperdoxy. What the hell, you just handsome in general.

Forgive me if I've for having offended you since our heartfelt reconciliation.

A joyful fast to you and yours.

Selam.

Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #132 on: February 26, 2012, 05:11:29 PM »

then I'll put "Hyperdox Herman" to shame.  Wink

Selam

Don't be so humble . . .

All in good fun Gebre.

And I did mean what I said. You are way handsomer than our anonymous pal whose become the face of hyperdoxy. What the hell, you just handsome in general.

Forgive me if I've for having offended you since our heartfelt reconciliation.

A joyful fast to you and yours.

Selam.

LOL! Smiley No worries brother. I deserve a good ribbing. However, I wish I could get you to convince my wife that I'm a handsome fellow.  Wink

Selam

"If we are unwilling to accept any truth that we have not first discovered and declared ourselves, we demonstrate that we are interested not in the truth so much as in being right." ~ Thomas Merton ~
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #133 on: February 26, 2012, 06:18:20 PM »

and again

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #134 on: February 28, 2012, 01:53:32 AM »

As we enter the great fast

laugh
Tags: MEME Hyperdox cheval amusant memes 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: