Author Topic: What all human beings want is love  (Read 28602 times)

Offline Mor Ephrem

• "Mor has a huge ego"
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • We are all Gustavito!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: East
Re: What all human beings want is love
« Reply #225 on: January 19, 2017, 01:08:25 AM »
I certainly don't listen to Calvinists, I think their theology is psychological poison.

+1
Just grab them by prayer.

Mor has spoken through George... this is the faith of the fathers!

The Church's bridegroom was never the Byzantine Empire.

Offline beebert

• High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Constantinople
« Reply #226 on: January 19, 2017, 04:33:13 AM »
What do you guys think of pastors like John Macarthur and John Piper?

I think they are deluded.

Personally, I usually don't listen to pastors or read theologians who are not Orthodox. There are a few exceptions (I like reading N.T. Wright for example, but his theology is much closer to Orthodoxy than most Protestants). I certainly don't listen to Calvinists, I think their theology is psychological poison.

Psychological poison in the sense that they make you feel bad you mean? Because then I certainly agree 100 percent. I get thé feeling sometimes when I have listened to them that one of them are filled with hatred, and the other one worships evil
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 04:40:18 AM by beebert »

Offline beebert

• High Elder
« Reply #227 on: January 19, 2017, 07:45:11 AM »
I wonder, is there here a contradiction in the Gospel of John? Om John 5;31 Jesus says that his testimony is not true if he testifies about himself, but in John 8:14 it says the opposite, that if he testifies about himself his testimony is still true. Is there something here that I don't understamd?

Offline Iconodule

• Professor of Cryptopatristics at Miskatonic University
  • Toumarches
  • Monsters from the Id
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #228 on: January 19, 2017, 11:46:02 AM »
I wonder, is there here a contradiction in the Gospel of John? Om John 5;31 Jesus says that his testimony is not true if he testifies about himself, but in John 8:14 it says the opposite, that if he testifies about himself his testimony is still true. Is there something here that I don't understamd?

Saint John Chrysostom addresses the apparent contradiction here.
But it had not been in Tess's power - nor is it in anybody's power - to feel the whole truth of golden opinions while it is possible to profit by them. She - and how many more - might have ironically said to God with Saint Augustine, "Thou hast counselled a better course than thou hast permitted."
Thomas Hardy, Tess of the D'Urbervilles

Offline beebert

• High Elder
« Reply #229 on: January 19, 2017, 12:25:15 PM »

Saint John Chrysostom addresses the apparent contradiction here.

Thank you

Offline ttcmacro

• Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #230 on: January 19, 2017, 03:16:54 PM »

Personally, I usually don't listen to pastors or read theologians who are not Orthodox. There are a few exceptions (I like reading N.T. Wright for example, but his theology is much closer to Orthodoxy than most Protestants). I certainly don't listen to Calvinists, I think their theology is psychological poison.

Psychological poison in the sense that they make you feel bad you mean? Because then I certainly agree 100 percent. I get thé feeling sometimes when I have listened to them that one of them are filled with hatred, and the other one worships evil

Yes, I don't think Calvinism is psychological healthy. If you truly love like Christ commands us to love (our neighbors, enemies, etc.) than Calvinism would drive you insane realizing that a large percentage of humanity is damned and there is nothing they can do about it.

Offline beebert

• High Elder
« Reply #231 on: January 19, 2017, 03:37:52 PM »

Yes, I don't think Calvinism is psychological healthy. If you truly love like Christ commands us to love (our neighbors, enemies, etc.) than Calvinism would drive you insane realizing that a large percentage of humanity is damned and there is nothing they can do about it.

Well calvinists can not possibly love their neighbour as in loving every human being. They love the elect. And they love Only because they are elect. Hey. They refuse to love Christ of they are not saved and love him Only because they Think he saved them from hell. Also, both Calvin and the sadistic Jonathan Edwards taught that God Only loves the elect and that he actually IS hate towards the non-elect.

Offline mikeforjesus

• OC.net guru
« Reply #232 on: January 20, 2017, 04:32:58 AM »
This should help us get started on the right track. It's never too late for anyone His mercy is everlasting to those who remember His commandments to do them however late. But we don't know if we will be ready or strong at the hour of death.
We can benefit from the fear of God. I ordered the book fear of God by pope Shenouda III and there is a little about it in the below link
I uploaded the magazine as I got the magazine a week ago from St Shenouda monastery website in Sydney Australia but it does not work anymore there. Click on download to see whole article. I read it in iBooks. I do not mean to make salvation seem harder than it is. I would then think I am a wolf in sheep clothing even if unintentionally. Salvation is possible for everyone but those who neglected the commandments all their life have to push harder through the narrow gate which is the word of God and also through Jesus for we can search the scriptures for eternal life and not wish to come to Him to have life some things may be understood more not from reading but from relationship with Him
The wise need to maintain good works which is easier but the foolish virgins need to seek it and they must make effort to find it while the wise already found it

https://www.docdroid.net/RUIp2mn/pimonakhos-vol-7-issue-1-booklet.pdf.html

« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 04:44:40 AM by mikeforjesus »

Offline beebert

• High Elder
« Reply #233 on: January 21, 2017, 06:01:27 AM »
But seriously how shall we understand Esau? In hebrews they take him as an example of when it is too late

Offline beebert

• High Elder
« Reply #234 on: January 21, 2017, 06:24:31 AM »
Also I just can't get away from reading romans 9 in a calvinistic way. It is just the only way I can understand it

Offline beebert

• High Elder
« Reply #235 on: January 21, 2017, 08:21:26 AM »
By the way in the situation I am in now, saying I can just be forgiven if I ask for it seems like pelagianism to me. I know God exists because of my experience 2 years ago, but other than that it is like if he doesn't exist. My sins have left me alone. How do you guys experience the existence of God? Do you experience it? Because I have experienced it but now he ignoreres me. Saying I can make right with God through scouting out to the empty air for forgiveness seems like pelagianism to me. I feel only fear now towards God, and this type of fear is without love. Hence, I am on my way to hell and God doesn't seem to intervene anymore.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Monsters from the Id
« Reply #236 on: January 21, 2017, 08:31:38 AM »
Also I just can't get away from reading romans 9 in a calvinistic way. It is just the only way I can understand it

Then read Romans 10 and 11.
But it had not been in Tess's power - nor is it in anybody's power - to feel the whole truth of golden opinions while it is possible to profit by them. She - and how many more - might have ironically said to God with Saint Augustine, "Thou hast counselled a better course than thou hast permitted."

Offline beebert

• High Elder
« Reply #237 on: January 21, 2017, 08:48:18 AM »

I have and it makes no difference. Paul says God created some fitted for destruction solely to reveal his own wrath.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Monsters from the Id
« Reply #238 on: January 21, 2017, 08:53:22 AM »

I have and it makes no difference. Paul says God created some fitted for destruction solely to reveal his own wrath.

We've discussed this before.

Offline beebert

• High Elder
« Reply #239 on: January 21, 2017, 08:57:34 AM »

We have not discussed romans 9?

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Monsters from the Id
« Reply #240 on: January 21, 2017, 09:02:29 AM »

We have, in this very thread. Well, I discussed it and then you ignored me.

Offline beebert

• High Elder
« Reply #241 on: January 21, 2017, 09:13:56 AM »

We have, in this very thread. Well, I discussed it and then you ignored me.

Okay sorry about that. If you want, please Tell me your view. It says in Romans 9:16 that it is all about God's mercy and not about the Will of man...

Offline beebert

• High Elder
« Reply #242 on: January 21, 2017, 12:10:12 PM »
I am really afraid of hell. Why does God let hell exist. I almost want to kill because of this truth. Because I can't, I just can't Believe God forgives me it seems like and I can't be motivated by love

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #243 on: February 16, 2017, 09:58:54 PM »
Mor has spoken through George... this is the faith of the fathers!
Reference:
“Peter Has Spoken Through Leo!”
https://melkite.org/faith/sunday-scriptures/peter-has-spoken-through-leo