OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 09:18:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: St. Clements Episcopal Church in Philly PA  (Read 1107 times) Average Rating: 0
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« on: February 19, 2012, 10:29:56 PM »

http://www.saintclementsphiladelphia.org/index.php

Are they the same communion as the C of E up the street from me?  The bread and butter Episcopalians or are they Anglo-Catholic?  They have confessions and the whole nine-yards.

FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 10:38:10 PM »

Are they the same communion as the C of E up the street from me?  The bread and butter Episcopalians or are they Anglo-Catholic?  They have confessions and the whole nine-yards.

Not knowing the info on the church up the street from you I can't answer that one. They are in the same communion as the Episcopal Church USA and Church of England. As it states on the website right under the parish's name they do seem to be (very) Anglo-Catholic

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 10:40:11 PM »

Not knowing the info on the church up the street from you I can't answer that one. They are in the same communion as the Episcopal Church USA and Church of England. As it states on the website right under the parish's name they do seem to be (very) Anglo-Catholic

"up the street" means my late grandfather's C of E.  When I was a kid it was a male priest, mass was more elaborate than the RC mass.  Now they've had a woman priest and it's all different. 
No confessions, etc..
I gather there is a wide spectrum in the C of E.

FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 10:49:33 PM »

Are they the same communion as the C of E up the street from me?  The bread and butter Episcopalians or are they Anglo-Catholic?  They have confessions and the whole nine-yards.

"up the street" means my late grandfather's C of E.  When I was a kid it was a male priest, mass was more elaborate than the RC mass.  Now they've had a woman priest and it's all different.  
No confessions, etc..

Indeed- even wider here in the States since 2009. If you're in the area covered by the territory of the former Episcopalian Diocese of Pittsburgh then odds are your grandfather's parish is not in communion with tEC (and thus the church in website) at all anymore- the entire diocese left to form the ACNA. Now, if your grandfather's parish was Diocese of Pennsylvania, then yes, it is most likely in communion with the church in the website.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 10:49:58 PM by FormerReformer » Logged

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 10:58:34 PM »

As far as I can tell it's an Anglo-Catholic church in the TEC. I wouldn't be surprised, if it went to the Roman ordinariate.

I'm going to need this.
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 11:02:39 PM »

I'm gathering they are in communion.  I had a teacher at my catholic high school that went to an Anglican church nearby. She said the rosary, they had confessions... the whole nine-yards.  I don't even think it exists anymore.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 08:49:39 AM »

"up the street" means my late grandfather's C of E.

Since your profile says you live in PA, I'm guessing there's typo in here somewhere. Surely there's no street stretching from PA to England!  Shocked  Grin

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 10:55:46 AM »

"up the street" means my late grandfather's C of E.

Since your profile says you live in PA, I'm guessing there's typo in here somewhere. Surely there's no street stretching from PA to England!  Shocked  Grin

Sure that road stops in PA, England and Hogwarts.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 11:26:13 AM »

Well now I feel bad for thinking that the Orthodox don't have a sense of humor.

But if we could be serious for a moment, what did you really mean by "the C of E up the street from me"? "C of E" usually means "Church of England", non?

username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 11:41:02 AM »

But if we could be serious for a moment, what did you really mean by "the C of E up the street from me"? "C of E" usually means "Church of England", non?

Well, they are in the same anglican communion whether they're Episcopalians or whatnot.  I didn't realize that C of E only meant a church in England properly, or I forgot or something.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 12:01:50 PM »

Well, they are in the same anglican communion whether they're Episcopalians or whatnot.  I didn't realize that C of E only meant a church in England properly, or I forgot or something.

Oui.

username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 12:07:40 PM »

Oui.

merci

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 12:18:01 PM »

Oui.

merci
De rien.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 12:29:17 PM »

Yes, judging by their website I would suppose they in the EP-USA but strongly Anglo-Catholic.

I would imagine many people would like to see them go over to the Continuing Anglicans, or at least ACNA.

username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2012, 02:54:06 PM »

Are they the same communion as the C of E up the street from me?  The bread and butter Episcopalians or are they Anglo-Catholic?  They have confessions and the whole nine-yards.

Yes, judging by their website I would suppose they in the EP-USA but strongly Anglo-Catholic.

I would imagine many people would like to see them go over to the Continuing Anglicans, or at least ACNA.

What's the difference between Continuing Anglicans or ACNA?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 02:55:40 PM by username! » Logged

Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2012, 03:06:30 PM »

Continuing Anglicans are those that don't belong to the TEC/CoE communion. ACNA is one of many Continuing Anglican communions.

I'm going to need this.
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2012, 03:07:54 PM »

Which then don't have the money and power TEC has?

What liturgy is St. Clement's using?

Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2012, 03:36:10 PM »

No, they don't.

Since St. Clement's is in the TEC, it's should be using the BCP 1979. Continuing Anglican churches usually use the older BCP of 1928, which is more conservative.

I'm going to need this.
FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2012, 04:19:54 PM »

Continuing Anglicans are those that don't belong to the TEC/CoE communion. ACNA is one of many Continuing Anglican communions.

Well, the deal with the ACNA is kind of murky. They definitely aren't in communion with tEC, they might be in communion with some CoE parishes that signed with GAFCON, and they are in communion with many of the "jurisdictions" in the wider Anglican Communion.

No, they don't.

Since St. Clement's is in the TEC, it's should be using the BCP 1979. Continuing Anglican churches usually use the older BCP of 1928, which is more conservative.

I'm not sure, having been out of the loop for a few years now, but I thought Anglo-Catholic churches were still allowed to use the Missal, the banned BCPs being 1928 and older American BCPs and the 1666.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2012, 04:39:59 PM »

The ACNA is not (yet) an official province of the Anglican Communion, but it is in full communion with the Anglican churches of Nigeria, Uganda, and Sudan. At least that's according to wikipedia.

ACNA is one of many Continuing Anglican communions.

That's what I used to think.

username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2012, 12:03:06 PM »

Someone said BCP 1979.  But it seems pretty much the same as a 1962 like Roman Missal with more english used.

Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2012, 12:21:55 PM »

Someone said BCP 1979.  But it seems pretty much the same as a 1962 like Roman Missal with more english used.

They use the English Missal.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2012, 12:23:56 PM »

Someone said BCP 1979.  But it seems pretty much the same as a 1962 like Roman Missal with more english used.

thank thee

It looks like a (doesn't have a priest's confession before he takes communion) 1962 roman missal with bcp prayers added in.  Whatever it is, it's pretty nice.  Perhaps the Roman Catholics ought to look to using a like-texted mass in English as well.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 12:27:59 PM by username! » Logged

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2012, 12:51:40 PM »

Well put it this way: in North America, ninety-some percent of Anglicans are in the TEC and the Anglican Church of Cananda (the 2 ultra-liberal provinces of the Anglican Communion), and a much smaller number are in ACNA and the Continuing Anglican Churches.

But, TEC and the Anglican Church of Cananda are only about 5% of Anglicans world-wide.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2012, 01:52:19 PM »

Someone said BCP 1979.  But it seems pretty much the same as a 1962 like Roman Missal with more english used.

thank thee

It looks like a (doesn't have a priest's confession before he takes communion) 1962 roman missal with bcp prayers added in.  Whatever it is, it's pretty nice.  Perhaps the Roman Catholics ought to look to using a like-texted mass in English as well.

That might not be bad.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2012, 02:02:43 PM »

"up the street" means my late grandfather's C of E.  When I was a kid it was a male priest, mass was more elaborate than the RC mass.  Now they've had a woman priest and it's all different. 
No confessions, etc..

she might even be practicing and openly homosexual.
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2012, 02:29:09 PM »

Wow...

Just flipping through the parish website's photos. It's beautiful! If this is what Anglicanism was everywhere here in the States, I would probably be Anglican!

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2012, 02:34:12 PM »

Wow...

Just flipping through the parish website's photos. It's beautiful! If this is what Anglicanism was everywhere here in the States, I would probably be Anglican!

I agree.  I go to Philly frequently and usually end up in the neighborhood that St. Clement's is in. I'm going to have to go in there one of these days for a service.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2012, 02:49:28 PM »

Wow...

I agree.  I go to Philly frequently and usually end up in the neighborhood that St. Clement's is in. I'm going to have to go in there one of these days for a service.

You should and tell us about it. 

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2012, 02:59:11 PM »

Wow...

Thank God Orthodoxy is more than just stylized architecture...
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2012, 03:04:14 PM »

Wow...

Thank God Orthodoxy is more than just stylized architecture...

Lol. Perhaps I should've elaborated?

Several years ago, I was a classical Presbyterian looking for a more traditional form of Christianity. I flirted with Anglicanism, but given their doctrinal battles and increasingly minimalistic liturgy, I went back to Presbyterianism. I later found Orthodoxy.

So, to contextualize my statement: if I had found a universal witness to traditional liturgy and practice within the Anglican Communion, I would've become an Anglo-Catholic and been quite happy with myself. However, having now found Orthodoxy, I could never be anything less! (And give up the Byzantine Liturgy? Crazy talk!)

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2012, 03:07:27 PM »

The thing is I read the anglican use mass that the RCC lets them use. It's not really THAT much different than the 1970 Roman Missal.  If this church would go to the anglican ordinate under the pope that is the future they'd probably been look to.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2012, 03:37:50 PM »

The thing is I read the anglican use mass that the RCC lets them use. It's not really THAT much different than the 1970 Roman Missal. 

Fr. Robert Hart (I've been reading some of his writings recently, as you may have noticed) commented,

On theological principle, I find it utterly appalling that Rome found it necessary to remove the following words from their so-called Anglican Use:

"Almighty God, our heavenly Father, who of thy tender mercy didst give thine only Son Jesus Christ to suffer death upon the Cross for our redemption; who made there (by his one oblation of himself once offered) a full, perfect, and sufficient sacrifice, oblation, and satisfaction, for the sins of the whole world"

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2012, 03:39:00 PM »

If this church would go to the anglican ordinate under the pope ...

I wouldn't hold your breath.

username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2012, 03:49:26 PM »

I was going to say, what would benefit them from doing so anyway? They seem fine the way they are.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2012, 04:02:29 PM »

I was going to say, what would benefit them from doing so anyway? They seem fine the way they are.

Well ... I assume opinions on that will vary. But everyone can agree that only a very small number of Anglicans have "gone ordinariate".

FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2012, 04:06:45 PM »

Until their current priest retires (or gets deposed, but I'm sure any Anglo-Catholics that are left in tEC are very good in at making fudge)- then all bets are off in the tEC of today.

username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2012, 04:08:20 PM »

Until their current priest retires (or gets deposed, but I'm sure any Anglo-Catholics that are left in tEC are very good in at making fudge)- then all bets are off in the tEC of today.

This is just a different level of "communion" than I am familiar with.  Seems to be rather complicated.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: