OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 11:27:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Happy Ash Wednesday!  (Read 1045 times) Average Rating: 0
Timon
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: February 22, 2012, 12:01:20 PM »

Just wanted to say Happy Ash Wednesday to any fellow westerners out there. Smiley

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 12:03:56 PM »

what is the origin of this observance?
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 12:13:49 PM »

See this: http://www.catholicculture.org/culture/library/view.cfm?id=262

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 12:16:45 PM »

Just wanted to say Happy Ash Wednesday to any fellow westerners out there. Smiley

As it is a day of penance and repentance, I'm not sure "happy" is the right word  Wink, but the sentiment is understood and, I'm sure, appreciated. 

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 12:27:33 PM »

Thanks Timon.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 02:20:44 PM »

Also, the story of Nineveh. "Repent in sackcloth and ashes..." It worked for them.  Wink

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 02:36:33 PM »

Thank you Timon.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 03:35:08 PM »

yes, I realize that "happy" isnt the best word to describe this day, but you know what I mean!

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 03:51:16 PM »

This might be time for the RCs to explain the differences in the day around the world.

The Jesuits I stayed with in Europe in the German Speaking World received the ashes sprinkled atop their head in the shape of the Cross.

I dunno, if there are other differences from the smearing of ash on the forehead.

What is the ash made of?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 03:51:33 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 03:54:51 PM »

This might be time for the RCs to explain the differences in the day around the world.

The Jesuits I stayed with in Europe in the German Speaking World received the ashes sprinkled atop their head in the shape of the Cross.

I dunno, if there are other differences from the smearing of ash on the forehead.

What is the ash made of?

See the link posted in reply #2 above.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 03:56:37 PM »

A peaceful and successful Lent to all.   angel

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 03:56:51 PM »

What is the ash made of?

See the link posted in reply #2 above.

Missed that.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 03:59:02 PM »

What is the ash made of?

Growing up, I learned it's from the palms from last Palm Sunday. I assume that's still true.

Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 03:59:45 PM »

What is the ash made of?

Growing up, I learned it's from the palms from last Palm Sunday. I assume that's still true.

It is. 

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Marc1152
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 11:41:24 PM »

Shouldn't it be "Merry" Ash Wednesday?

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2012, 11:44:14 PM »

would it be appropriate for ANYONE to receive the ashes? 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2012, 11:51:34 PM »

There are certain western traditions I enjoy, and Ash Wednesday is one of them. I attended the local Catholic parish today and received ashes.

Remember, O man, that thou art dust and unto dust shalt thou return.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2012, 11:53:41 PM »

What is the ash made of?

It is. 
Yep

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2012, 11:57:20 PM »

There are certain western traditions I enjoy, and Ash Wednesday is one of them. I attended the local Catholic parish today and received ashes.

Remember, O man, that thou art dust and unto dust shalt thou return.

I would have, but I wasn't comfortable when the lay minister had everyone in the church extend their hands and bless the ashes (no priest involved).

I did appreciate the OT reading from Joel, though.

How does Ash Wednesday work in the WRO?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2012, 12:56:11 AM »

I would have, but I wasn't comfortable when the lay minister had everyone in the church extend their hands and bless the ashes (no priest involved).

What?? That doesn't sound like a Catholic parish to me...Besides, they also serve the Mass on Ash Wednesday...have to have a priest for that...

It was nice. I'm having trouble remembering now...was it the same one we read tonight at Vespers?

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Wyatt
Archon

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2012, 12:56:17 AM »

Basically the same except the ashes are leavened.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2012, 01:18:17 AM »

Basically the same except the ashes are leavened.

Clean Monday was clearly another instance of Orthodoxy conspiratorially defining itself in opposition to the Vatican.

I mean, you guys get all dirty with ash. We get clean.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 01:20:14 AM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2012, 03:39:49 AM »

I attended the local Catholic parish today and received ashes.

Probably not in the spirit of the thread, but this seems odd to me.  Why would you do this?

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2012, 08:52:59 AM »

What?? That doesn't sound like a Catholic parish to me...

I would guess that it wasn't. Maybe William can enlighten us.

Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2012, 12:38:23 PM »

I attended the local Catholic parish today and received ashes.

Probably not in the spirit of the thread, but this seems odd to me.  Why would you do this?

Because there are certain traditions of the West that I hold dear to my heart, and Ash Wednesday is one of those. If there were a local WRO parish, I would've went there instead, but unfortunately that is not the case.

William
Protokentarchos

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2012, 09:41:00 PM »

What?? That doesn't sound like a Catholic parish to me...

I would guess that it wasn't. Maybe William can enlighten us.

It was a prayer service at a Catholic high school. No priest or Mass.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
William
Protokentarchos

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2012, 11:05:57 PM »

It was nice. I'm having trouble remembering now...was it the same one we read tonight at Vespers?

You mean this? No, but interesting coincidence. I didn't realize that the Byzantine rite ever liturgically read Joel.

This was the reading from the NO lectionary yesterday: http://www.ewtn.com/vbible/search.asp?abbr=Joel&ch=2&bv1=12&ev1=18

Just curious, Benjamin, do you think you might do the same thing you did with Ash Wednesday with the Stations of the Cross? I've been thinking of going to a traditional Catholic parish in town for the Stations.

Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2012, 11:19:33 PM »

You mean this? No, but interesting coincidence. I didn't realize that the Byzantine rite ever liturgically read Joel.

This was the reading from the NO lectionary yesterday: http://www.ewtn.com/vbible/search.asp?abbr=Joel&ch=2&bv1=12&ev1=18

Just curious, Benjamin, do you think you might do the same thing you did with Ash Wednesday with the Stations of the Cross? I've been thinking of going to a traditional Catholic parish in town for the Stations.

Honestly, I hadn't thought about it! By that time, I'm usually absorbed in our own Lenten services (after all, the 12 Passion Gospels is essentially our own "Stations of the Cross" service).

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: