OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 11:30:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Let's talk James Joyce.  (Read 447 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: February 21, 2012, 02:16:41 AM »

I wanted to do a thread in the Book Club section where we can read Ulysses and have a discussion. However, I feel that I need a better exposure to the history of Ireland, read Hamlet and The Odyssey again before takling Ulysses.

I tried reading Ulysses once about 3-4 years ago. It really kicked my butt intellectually, and I felt I wasn't smart enough to read it. So I gave up during Aeolus, conceded that Joyce was too much of a genius for me to even comprehend, and each chapter employed such different and new styles.

Going through Joycean criticsm, I'm ready to give this novel another go. I would love to have a really good guide alongside the book so I pick up on all the things Joyce packs in each chapter (I swear he redifined "dense").

If I think Ulysses was this bad, I can't even imagine how Finnegans Wake is going to be. I know I'm terribly unreasonable and insane so maybe the book can work for me, or maybe not.

Almost done with Moby Dick so I'll start with Joyce in a bit.

Anyone like or hate Joyce? Recommendations to help with reading Ulysses or any of Joyce's other poems, short stories and novels?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 02:23:25 AM »

Anyone [...] hate Joyce?

Yes.

Recommendations to help with reading Ulysses or any of Joyce's other poems, short stories and novels?

Don't.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 06:00:49 AM »

akimori what do you mean hate and don't?

================

I found this book to be a good companion:

http://www.amazon.com/New-Bloomsday-Book-Through-Ulysses/dp/0415138582/ref=cm_cr_dp_orig_subj

From what it appears to be.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 04:56:23 PM »

Anyone [...] hate Joyce?

Yes.

Recommendations to help with reading Ulysses or any of Joyce's other poems, short stories and novels?

Don't.

Agreed.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 05:19:15 PM »

No one is literate in English if they haven't read Joyce.

Achronos, do yourself a favor.

Toss those reading helps away. Read the Odyssey (I go more with Lattimore) and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (you are already reading the Bible). And read Joyce chronologically. Start with Portrait.

And read it aloud when it gets tough. Especially, his later works.

Just the reading of it aloud, will help reveal much of what seems "difficult". (Really this is recommended for all reading, since reading silently is rather a recent notion.)

Forget trying to tie down all the allusions. He was probably one the single greatest minds and artists this planet has even seen, you will fail.

Fall in love with him and he will reward you with a lifetime of re-reading.

As a clever guy once said:

Rejoice! Read Joyce!

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 04:44:52 AM »

No one is literate in English if they haven't read Joyce.

Achronos, do yourself a favor.

Toss those reading helps away. Read the Odyssey (I go more with Lattimore) and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (you are already reading the Bible). And read Joyce chronologically. Start with Portrait.

And read it aloud when it gets tough. Especially, his later works.

Just the reading of it aloud, will help reveal much of what seems "difficult". (Really this is recommended for all reading, since reading silently is rather a recent notion.)

Forget trying to tie down all the allusions. He was probably one the single greatest minds and artists this planet has even seen, you will fail.

Fall in love with him and he will reward you with a lifetime of re-reading.

As a clever guy once said:

Rejoice! Read Joyce!

A bit of a tangent, but have you read Robert Fagles' translation of Homer? I just bought it, was going to start on it, then my room flooded and I don't know where the workers put it.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 08:14:58 AM »

Thank you orthonorm, just the response I was looking for. If it helps any, read Portrait and Dubliners.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 10:06:44 AM »

I remember enjoying Portrait in high school but I really have to re-read it and get around to the big novels too. On a side note, here's the Clancy Brothers singing "Finnegan's Wake." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7yR-U4m_dw
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 10:06:53 AM by Iconodule » Logged

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: