OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 06:44:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 22 new Cardinals appointed by Vatican  (Read 459 times) Average Rating: 0
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« on: February 18, 2012, 11:24:16 AM »

On Saturday, twenty-two bishops and archbishops were elevated to the office of Cardinal in the Roman Catholic Church. Pope Benedict XVI presided over the ceremony.

From the article:
Among those to be elevated to the College of Cardinals are New York Archbishop Timothy Dolan, cementing his standing as the top Catholic in the United States, and Archbishop Edwin F. O'Brien of Baltimore.

Others include Archbishop Thomas Collins, from Toronto, as well as the Bishop of Hong Kong, John Tong Hon, and Major Archbishop George Alencherry from India.
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 11:28:51 AM »

Image from the op linked article

Does anyone else see the similarities?  
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 11:30:13 AM by username! » Logged

scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Moderated
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 11:35:59 AM »

^Are you trying to insinuate that the model used for that Nazi puppeteer in Family Guy is based off of Benedict XVI?  I don't see it.  However, considering that many still cling to this illusion that Benedict was a Nazi, I wouldn't be really surprised. Again, I don't see the resemblance.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 11:46:57 AM »

^Are you trying to insinuate that the model used for that Nazi puppeteer in Family Guy is based off of Benedict XVI?  I don't see it.  However, considering that many still cling to this illusion that Benedict was a Nazi, I wouldn't be really surprised. Again, I don't see the resemblance.

Geez no, they kind of look alike though that's all.  Everyone knows il papa was not a nazi.  It is cool that he is wearing more pope like stuff though. 
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 11:47:49 AM by username! » Logged

Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 12:02:52 PM »

In comments today to 22 new cardinals taking part in Benedict’s fourth consistory, with most of the Vatican’s senior leadership looking on, the pope issued a strong plea for a spirit of service.

“Serving God and others, self-giving: this is the logic which authentic faith imparts and develops in our daily lives,” the pope said, “and which is not the type of power and glory which belongs to this world.”

Benedict noted that from the very beginning, not everyone in leadership positions among Christ’s followers has been up to that challenge.
The main act of the day was a speech on the new evangelization by Dolan, who delivered a vintage performance emphasizing the need to present the Christian message in a positive light, and to avoid demonizing the secular world.

At one point Dolan even allowed his sense to humor to surface, jokingly asking Benedict if he could be exempted from the part of the new cardinals’ oath in which they promise to defend the faith “up to the shedding of blood.”

Video feeds showed the pope smiled at the quip. A Vatican statement issued later in the day said Benedict found the speech “exciting, joyous and profound.”

There was also more evidence of a boomlet around Dolan this morning in the Italian media. Il Messaggero’s Vatican writer, Franca Giansoldati, published a piece on the consistory under the headline, “Among the 22 new cardinals, a new papabile breaks out: the American Dolan.”

Papabile is the Italian word for a candidate to be pope.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 12:04:09 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 10:19:48 AM »

At one point Dolan even allowed his sense to humor to surface, jokingly asking Benedict if he could be exempted from the part of the new cardinals’ oath in which they promise to defend the faith “up to the shedding of blood.”

Video feeds showed the pope smiled at the quip.

Nice to see that some journalists still know the importance of details.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 10:20:14 AM by Peter J » Logged

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Tags: Roman Catholic Church  cardinals 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: