OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 07:16:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mitered Deacon?  (Read 3359 times) Average Rating: 0
FrAugustineFetter

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Autonomous Orthodox Metropolia of Americas and British Isles

« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2012, 06:43:00 PM »

I know that, I was supposing a comical scenario to illustrate how much the Armenians in Jerusalem care about what anyone says of their practices.

FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch - NA

« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2012, 09:13:59 PM »

Yes, they should wear something more subtle...

He looks Armenian.  It could be that this picture was taken on St. Stephan's day.  On that day, Armenian deacons will sometimes be given a crown to wear when censing the church.  I think it is to represent the crown of martyrdom of St. Stephan.

I didn't pay any attention to his ethnicity, I just thought the miter looked rather Byzantine, whereas Armenian miters, in my understanding, are more pointed like those worn by Roman Catholic bishops or Coptic Orthodox priests.

The mitre he is wearing is what our priests wear.  Our bishops wear mitres that resemble those of Catholics.

How come the priests wear the cooler miters?

According to my priest, the kind of crown you see in the picture above used to be what the bishops wore.  Then during the Crusades, the bishops adopted the Western mitre.  They then passed their old mitres to the priests.

As much as I like Armenian hats, I can't help but think this was a bad stylistic choice.

http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2012, 09:23:41 PM »

Yes, they should wear something more subtle...

He looks Armenian.  It could be that this picture was taken on St. Stephan's day.  On that day, Armenian deacons will sometimes be given a crown to wear when censing the church.  I think it is to represent the crown of martyrdom of St. Stephan.

I didn't pay any attention to his ethnicity, I just thought the miter looked rather Byzantine, whereas Armenian miters, in my understanding, are more pointed like those worn by Roman Catholic bishops or Coptic Orthodox priests.

The mitre he is wearing is what our priests wear.  Our bishops wear mitres that resemble those of Catholics.

How come the priests wear the cooler miters?

According to my priest, the kind of crown you see in the picture above used to be what the bishops wore.  Then during the Crusades, the bishops adopted the Western mitre.  They then passed their old mitres to the priests.

As much as I like Armenian hats, I can't help but think this was a bad stylistic choice.

Oh my!  Though that is a nice shade of blue.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2012, 10:27:21 PM »

The Philippi Collection - Dexter Philippi has amassed what is generally acknowledged as the world's largest collection of ecclesiastical headwear - Orthodox, Catholic, you name the religion.

Philippi's is a fascinating site (wish so much of it was not in German) and I was reminded of it by the photo, posted above, of Syracuse University Professor Ole Fanger, of blessed memory. In the photo, by the way, he is garbed in the ceremonial cape and headgear of the Portuguese university that awarded him a doctorate honoris causa for his ground-breaking work on air quality (yes, that is indeed an actual photo up above - not a gag).

stashko, you'll want to check out the site - it should put you right over the edge. Oh. sorry, you're already there you say?

Many years,

Neil
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 10:28:25 PM by Irish Melkite » Logged

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2012, 12:52:25 AM »

While goofing around today, I found this picture:

Unfortunately, the photo is on a tourist site and not an Orthodox one. It claims this is an Orthodox deacon at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre. He certainly looks Byzantine enough to be Greek Orthodox, so he obviously isn't Latin-rite Catholic or Armenian Apostolic (their deacons, I hear, sometimes do wear miters).

I've never seen or heard of this practice before, and wanted to know more. If people have any insights, I'd be very appreciative.

For context, the above image was found on this page.

Do we fuzzy brows all look the same to you, Ben?

... (Joking) ...

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2012, 02:12:13 AM »

Armenian icon of St. Stephan, probably painted in the 1700's:

http://historyarmenia.org/5573.html/image-14-8

Brigidsboy
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Armenian

« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2012, 04:35:01 PM »

There seems to be some confusion about where and when the crown came to be used in the Armenian Church. It is true that our bishops accepted a form of the western mitre during the Crusades. However it seems that we never got the crown from the Byzantines in the first place. Archbishop Ormanian, a prominent authority on the Armenian Church writes that the crown came to us from Persia and was similar in design to their military helmets. The high collar worn by our priests corresponds to the neck-shield. We did not receive this tradition from the Greek Church and thus the use of it by our priests and deacons is, frankly, of no concern to any other church. The Greek Orthodox Bishops were not using a crown during the Crusades, as someone else pointed out earlier.

http://www.stvartanbookstore.com/adictionaryofthearmchurch.aspx

« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 04:35:43 PM by Brigidsboy » Logged

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2012, 12:00:34 AM »

While goofing around today, I found this picture:

Unfortunately, the photo is on a tourist site and not an Orthodox one. It claims this is an Orthodox deacon at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre. He certainly looks Byzantine enough to be Greek Orthodox, so he obviously isn't Latin-rite Catholic or Armenian Apostolic (their deacons, I hear, sometimes do wear miters).

I've never seen or heard of this practice before, and wanted to know more. If people have any insights, I'd be very appreciative.

For context, the above image was found on this page.

Do we fuzzy brows all look the same to you, Ben?

... (Joking) ...

Lol. While recognizing you jest, I re-read my statement and it does come off badly. My apologies! By "he looks Byzantine enough" I was referring to the vestments. All of the photos and videos I had seen of Armenian Liturgies had the servers/deacons/priests/bishops in a simpler cloth, instead of ornate brocade. Because this deacon is dressed in brocade vestments, I thought he looked rather Byzantine. I also was unaware that the type of mitre he wears is used by the Armenian Church. Until this thread, I thought they exclusively utilized mitres that more closely resembled those used by the RCC.

However, now that I look at him again I can see some stylistic differences that appear more Armenian. For example, the golden "yoke" of his vestment, while most of the vestment is actually red (which makes sense if this is a St. Stephen's Day celebration). Also, the way the collar is cut is atypical of Greek vestments, but matches what I've seen from other Armenian styles.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
ilyazhito
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2012, 03:33:41 PM »

Do Armenian deacons wear double oraria? I only saw Greek and Russian deacons wearing double oraria. If Armenian deacons do, then he is definitely Armenian.
Tags: deacons Armenian Church St. Stephan head coverings hats=heresy big shiny hats vestments mitre 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: