OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 08:21:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Priest on a normal day  (Read 792 times) Average Rating: 0
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« on: February 11, 2012, 09:43:44 AM »

This is just something, I have been wondering about. How is a normal day of a priest? What is he doing when it is not sunday?

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 09:59:48 AM »

This is just something, I have been wondering about. How is a normal day of a priest? What is he doing when it is not sunday?

I think you'll get a different answer for every priest you ask.

Is he married or unmarried, is he the only priest in his parish or one among several, is he full-time or does he have another job during the week, can he hear confessions or not, is he based in a small parish or large parish, in a village or city, in an area/country with many Orthodox or with few, etc.?

For example, the Archimandrite in my church spends all day every day hearing confessions or giving sermons, while the married priest spends all day doing paperwork and visitations.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 11:12:31 AM »

I think you'll get a different answer for every priest you ask.

Is he married or unmarried, is he the only priest in his parish or one among several, is he full-time or does he have another job during the week, can he hear confessions or not, is he based in a small parish or large parish, in a village or city, in an area/country with many Orthodox or with few, etc.?

For example, the Archimandrite in my church spends all day every day hearing confessions or giving sermons, while the married priest spends all day doing paperwork and visitations.

Sadly, speaking from experience, many of the typical priest's parishioners would answer - he's got a great job, two hours a week, say a few words, shake a hand of two and wait for the phone to ring.

In real life it varies depending on the size of the parish, the age and marital status of the priest. But the very best priests are ALWAYS busy, one way or another. Not all are 'continually and outwardly spiritual at all times' and not all spend their time in, or around the church building per se. As to paperwork? That one i don't get, yes there is paperwork - bulletins if that's his job - but unlike an RC priest, most of our priests - regardless of jurisdiction - are not involved in the day to day management and financial operation of their parishes.

Just one personal note. My father was the pastor of a large parish for nearly thirty years and another eighteen as a 'semi-retired' pastor emeritus. In the RC world that church would have been served in the old days by two or three priests, several nuns and who knows whom else. In our world, there was the priest. Converts often wonder why we 'cradles' may seem not as 'zealous' or easily tempted to 'leave' the church. Well, when you bury at least one soul per week and visit upwards of thirty per week at hospitals and run the parish - it is amazing how our priests do what they do with what little real support they received 'back in the day.' Things a  bit better today with more deacons and educated lay people assisting with ed classes and the like. And my dad had a hard and fast rule. Our people fought to the brink and beyond to preserve a married clergy and he was determined to give his family as normal a life as the priesthood would allow. No matter who died or got ill, when he was on his two week sabbatical at the beach with us in the summer, the neighboring priest would cover the parish. Dad always said many of his peers think they were indispensible, but wait a month after they leave or die - the new priest is there and the life of the Church goes on. When he died, he had the largest outpouring of true affection and esteem from the parish, his peers and the community. Says something about a balanced life. And life went on as it should.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 11:14:11 AM by podkarpatska » Logged
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 11:15:41 AM »

My priest is pretty busy most of the time. I almost wish we had two priests in our parish. Maybe someday.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
SakranMM
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Most Holy Theotokos, save us!

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 10:05:23 PM »

As a priest, I can say that no two days are alike.  As mentioned above, every priest will have a different experience based on his personality, circumstances, parish, and other conditions.

I'll share what I did today as an example:

I got to the church office this morning after dropping the kids off at daycare, and went to work on the bulletin, answer emails, etc... Once I finished that, I worked on a presentation on "participating in Great Lent" that I will give to the church ladies' group next week.  By that time, it was lunch, so I ate, then went to the hospital to pray for, annoint, and commune a sick parishioner.  From there, I went to bless the home of another parishioner, and returned to the office to finish up the bulletin.  Then I called it a day.

Some days, I hardly have anything to do; other days are full from 9 AM-9 PM, it all depends.  I am the assistant pastor at a very large parish, and I usually work 6 days a week.  Sometimes I put in 35 hours a week, sometimes 60, again, it all depends on what's going that week.  

Regardless, I don't know of too many priests who aren't busy.  Please pray for your priests.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 10:06:40 PM by SakranMM » Logged

"And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us..."
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 12:07:48 AM »

Father, true. Thank you for the reminder.

Timon
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 11:21:26 AM »

I always have a hard time picturing priests doing normal things like going to the grocery store or the bank.  Or renting a movie...

Weird, I know.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 11:41:28 AM »

I always have a hard time picturing priests doing normal things like going to the grocery store or the bank.  Or renting a movie...

Weird, I know.

Yes, weird...I am going to let the cat out of the bag. Priests AND Bishops actually put their pants on, one leg at a time!  Wink Wink
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 11:43:30 AM »

I know my priest is constantly doing something. He works a full time job, manages a mission parish, is always seeing someone or hosting something at home, or travelling and doing the same.

He's fantastic.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 11:46:28 AM »

Weird, I know.

Yes, weird...I am going to let the cat out of the bag. Priests AND Bishops actually put their pants on, one leg at a time!  Wink Wink

Or their cassock one button at a time.

What Orthodox priests do in the afternoon trying to increase the 1500 dollars a month their parish gives them before taxes to raise three kids on;

FountainPen
Is not wasting any more of her ink
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 11:50:07 AM »

Weird, I know.

They're people just like you and i, nothing mysterious.

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try. Mark Twain
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 12:51:39 PM »

I know my priest is constantly doing something. He works a full time job, manages a mission parish, is always seeing someone or hosting something at home, or travelling and doing the same.

He's fantastic.

PP

Mine too.  Smiley

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: