OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 02:20:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What do adults wear when their baptized?  (Read 3577 times) Average Rating: 0
casisthename

Faith: Converting to Orthodoxy

« on: February 17, 2012, 08:06:53 PM »

Ok so maybe calling myself an adult is a bit of a stretch...but I was curious what do people who are too old for it to be appropriate to wear their bathing suit in church wear to their baptism?
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 08:28:10 PM »

I wore a pair of shorts and a t-shirt. 
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 10:00:11 PM »

I have seen everything from a swim suitm shorts with a t shirt, once a woman in a heavy white dress, and several in a swimsuit covered by a white robe.
I always like the white robe idea both for the baptism and forthe Chrismation.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 10:01:40 PM »

Why not a ghilie suit?  Would keep the priest busy looking for you before baptism

Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 10:13:40 PM »

I believe that a white garment is traditional.  In the end, it doesn't matter what you wear, just that your getting baptized!  Congratulations!

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 11:13:00 PM »

White swim trunks, white sticharion (robe), and a white bathrobe/towel to dry off with (noticing a theme?).  If that wasn't enough, it was recommended that I wear white to services for 40 days following my baptism (which I did, reluctantly).

Of course, some jurisdictions don't seem to make people go out of their way, so depending on your parish, Bermuda shorts and a "wifebeater" shirt should be fine.   Wink

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 11:16:07 PM »

In the end, it doesn't matter what you wear, just that your getting baptized!

Not sure about that. It matters what our priests wear when administering the sacraments.   police

I like the spirit of your post though.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
LBK
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 11:59:49 PM »

If that wasn't enough, it was recommended that I wear white to services for 40 days following my baptism (which I did, reluctantly).

What?! You poor soul. So you had to break out the disco duds ....  Embarrassed Embarrassed laugh

In my experience, newly-baptized babies wear their new white outfit for their first communion, then, the vast majority wear whatever their mothers dress them in. For adults, never seen the 40-day-white "rule". And all but a couple of adults wore a simple white cotton gown over swimsuit or shorts (white was never insisted on for what was worn under the gown) when baptized or chrismated.
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 12:41:50 AM »

I was told to dress in something "somewhat dark"  to be baptized in, and then have my change of clothes be white.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 01:16:25 AM »

Traditionally, you would be baptized naked and then given a white robe. Babies are still taken care of this way.

For adults in our day and age, there seem to be various practices from place to place. For instance, in many places, one would wear swimming trunks and a t-shirt when being immersed, and then change into a white robe.  However, in other places, one would be baptized in a white robe (with underclothing) and then change into a normal set of white clothing afterward.

It seems to me that most people are not going to wear a white robe to church for 8 or 40 days after baptism, so a white set of clothing would be fine for after the baptism. I have baptized people in a white robe and then had them wear normal white clothing afterward, and I have also had people baptized in regular non-white clothing and then put on white clothing afterward. I have not baptized someone naked or in regular clothes and then had them put on a white robe...seems to be a bit superfluous to me to have someone pay 75 or 100 dollars to buy a white robe they will wear for one service and never again. However, the robe is obviously what we use for infants and probably more traditional for adults, although the question I would like to know is what they had Muslims wear upon conversion to Orthodoxy during the Turkish rule (the rare times that happened). That might give some insight into how the ancient practice carried over into modern times.

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 02:39:08 AM »

If that wasn't enough, it was recommended that I wear white to services for 40 days following my baptism (which I did, reluctantly).

What?! You poor soul. So you had to break out the disco duds ....  Embarrassed Embarrassed laugh

Poor soul, indeed.  It's rough enough being one of the only adults to receive communion in a massive parish, but the "white" suit was a bit much.  It also didn't help that none of those chrismated received or followed similar instructions, so it was just me, in all of my humble obedience, rocking the Don Johnson threads.

I was told to dress in something "somewhat dark"  to be baptized in, and then have my change of clothes be white.

I think your priest did it wrong.

NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2012, 03:01:35 AM »

I was told to dress in something "somewhat dark"  to be baptized in, and then have my change of clothes be white.

I received the same instructions as Benjamin, which agrees with Fr. Anastasios. So I think my priest gave me the correct instructions.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 03:02:42 AM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2012, 04:10:45 AM »

I was told to dress in something "somewhat dark"  to be baptized in, and then have my change of clothes be white.
I received the same instructions as Benjamin, which agrees with Fr. Anastasios. So I think my priest gave me the correct instructions

We'll just have to check back and see which one of us goes to hell.

Is our faith allergic to consistency in anything non-dogmatic?*

*Unless you count that we don't have a standard translation of the creed, psalms, services, prayers, etc.

NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2012, 04:50:07 AM »

Weak.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2012, 11:37:43 AM »

I was baptized in normal clothes and then changed into a white robe. We do the whole "wear the robe for 40 days" thing at my church. Usually the godmothers sew the robes themselves. Much cheaper.

My non-Orthodox wife made mine. A difficult but touching gesture on her part, as she still struggles with my decision to convert.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2012, 01:46:19 PM »

I received the same instructions as Benjamin, which agrees with Fr. Anastasios. So I think my priest gave me the correct instructions

Is our faith allergic to consistency in anything non-dogmatic?*

*Unless you count that we don't have a standard translation of the creed, psalms, services, prayers, etc.

No, our faith is not allergic to consistency in matters which are non-dogmatic. Some individuals may be so allergic, but the Faith itself is not.

The one question which bothers me the most here online is the frequent one about what is the 'correct' or the 'Orthodox' way to do this or that. One thing anyone considering entering the Orthodox faith must be willing to accept is that there often are variables which one group of us or the other does, or does not follow and not following them does NOT make any of us less or more Orthodox than the other. This may even (shock) vary from parish to parish within one Diocese or jurisdiction. If it is not heresy - deal with it. And if the local practice is 'different' than what you first observed or were taught - do not assume because it is different that it is 'heretical'.

While Orthodoxy is surely 'conservative' and 'traditional', the very understanding of those terms varies among the various cultural strands of Orthodox expression. In lands where there is no consensus of culture among the Orthodox, i.e. the Americas, this presents a real problem. Who among you is the 'real' Orthodox and what is the 'correct' fashion? This is but one factor which makes organic, administrative unity so difficult to achieve here. It isn't just ethnicity - it goes deeper than that in that Orthodoxy chose to make culture part and parcel of the regional 'praxis'. We are not the Roman church, we do not have 'universality' in theory as they have in 'theory.'

When you 'mess' with some cultural things, you challenge people's assumptions about their Faith.

Anyway, the short of it - FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS OF THE PRIEST WHO WILL BAPTIZE YOU! Do not take it upon yourself to pick and choose what YOU think is proper or better.
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2012, 01:53:26 PM »

Well said, podkarpatska.

The Church has never, is not and will never be completely uniform from place-to-place. As a matter of fact, the EO Church right now is more uniform in liturgical praxis than we have been in most of our history. I mean, we all celebrate the same Liturgy on Sunday...that in itself is weird and different from the historical witness of the Church, which has always had a plethora of rites (Catholics and OO still have that variety, btw). So, when it comes down to what precise translation, what color of vestments, the parish typkion or what you wear (or don't wear) at baptism...remember these are tiny and petty things.

The Faith of the Orthodox is maintained by the Holy Spirit in the Church and does not change...but we've never done anything else the same way, and even the way we approach that same Faith is different. This is simply life in the Church.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
FountainPen
Is not wasting any more of her ink
OC.net guru

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2012, 01:56:13 PM »

That's a hideous thing to say to someone.

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try. Mark Twain
casisthename

Faith: Converting to Orthodoxy

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2012, 02:44:58 PM »

Guys, I just wanted an idea so as to be dressed appropriately. Since, we only have one priest and there's 6 catechumens and several regularly visiting students from my school (Glory be to God) and he has young children on top of being the spiritual father to our parish I just try to get answers to basic questions by research if possible. I'm sorry if my question stirred up bad blood. But, I mean Lent is coming and Forgiveness Sunday is in just over a week...can we all forgive each other?
Thomas
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2012, 02:50:46 PM »

An FYI to everyone posting in the Convert Issues Forum
Please Remember this is an Orthodox Christian Forum for NEW Converts, Catechumen, and Inquirors please leave judgemental comments to other forums. Be supportive of the other forum people. This part of OC.Net is the  forum for support not polemics.  Please review our Purpose if the Convert Issues Forum and employ whether what you are posting is appropraite here.

Thank you,
Thomas
Convert Issues Forum Moderator
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 02:51:34 PM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2012, 03:18:09 PM »

Guys, I just wanted an idea so as to be dressed appropriately. Since, we only have one priest and there's 6 catechumens and several regularly visiting students from my school (Glory be to God) and he has young children on top of being the spiritual father to our parish I just try to get answers to basic questions by research if possible. I'm sorry if my question stirred up bad blood. But, I mean Lent is coming and Forgiveness Sunday is in just over a week...can we all forgive each other?

No worries. This just shows the variety of practice we see from jurisdiction-to-jurisdiction, or even parish-to-parish. Are there parish photos of folks being baptized? Look at those. Talk to some of the other catechumens (especially if you're being baptized the same day as some of them) and coordinate. As we can see in this thread, there are no hard-and-fast rules in place about this, so don't sweat it too much. Wink

Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2012, 03:57:35 PM »

No, you just misunderstood the context.  Nicholas and I are friends, and I have a tremendous amount of respect for him and his knowledge of Orthodoxy.  The statement, along with the "your priest did it wrong" response, was clearly meant in jest, but ever the vigilant funnos to take the internet too seriously. Plus, if I was a wagering man, I would wager that Nicholas would win the bet, even if my baptismal robes were whiter than his.

Great news, casisthename! Congratulations on your upcoming baptism!

My apologies for derailing the thread a bit.  From the posts, this seems to be an "ask your priest" question.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 04:11:26 PM by Cognomen » Logged

FountainPen
Is not wasting any more of her ink
OC.net guru

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2012, 06:35:17 PM »

No, you just misunderstood the context.  Nicholas and I are friends, and I have a tremendous amount of respect for him and his knowledge of Orthodoxy.  The statement, along with the "your priest did it wrong" response, was clearly meant in jest

Oh okay in that case, my apologies.

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try. Mark Twain
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2012, 06:37:58 PM »

Oh okay in that case, my apologies.

And mine, for being so snappy.  I would hope no one would make those comments in earnest.

podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2012, 09:40:38 AM »

Best of luck to you. I did not mean to derail the  thread or be critical of you and your inquiry.

As a PK (priest's kid), I have to tell you from personal experience, your priest is never too busy to answer a question from a catechumen or anyone else in the parish. Most of our parishes have only one priest - that is the unfortunate norm in America - and I am sure he would be happy to advise you are to the protocol he expects. Congratulations and Welcome!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: