Author Topic: Has anyone been terminated from a job because they rocked the boat?  (Read 1075 times)

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
Too make a very long story short, there has been some recent developments in my workplace that has caused me to escalate an issue to my HR group.

I am a person that is very vocal about injustices, unfairness, etc in the workplace. I have never done a formal HR investigation before either.

My question is has anyone ever escalated an issue at the workplace and were you then terminated because of it or because of it made you even a bigger target then normal?
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
Re: Has anyone been terminated from a job because they rocked the boat?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 11:53:42 PM »
Not me. But sorry that it's happened to you.

Lord have mercy.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Warning: stories have mature content.

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 12:12:28 AM »

I hope you weren't terminated!    :o

One has to weigh all possible outcomes before lodging a complaint....and whether or not it's worth it....and the gravity of it.

If someone is being abused, misused, etc...then no matter the outcome, you have to help them.

However, if it's just that one worker is being lazy, coming in late or stole some paperclips....then I would keep my mouth shut.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline Punch

• Taxiarches
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 12:25:10 AM »
I am a Union Steward, and I have rocked a few boats and sank a few ships.  Yes, they tried to fire me on a couple of occasions.  Knowing the law and keeping good records is why I am still here.  As was said above, it is VERY important that you pick your fights.  Also, talk before you file a grievance.  Most labor / managemet disputes are misunderstandings.  I have found that Management is very happy when you treat them the way you insist that they treat your men.  I expect coaching and warnings before discipline.  I also insist of my men that they exhaust every method to negotiate a settlement before they file a grievance.  Also, humility is a must.  It is THEIR company, and to an extent, you owe them some gratitude for hiring you.  I always give them the chance to look good and make it look like a settlement was their idea.  Why not?  I got what I wanted, why not let them get what they want.  They want fame, power and glory.  I want justice for my men.  If I get the latter, I don't care who gets the credit.  There is often more power in working quietly than there is painting a target on yourself.  They do not have to like you.  But it is important that they respect you.  Sometimes you have to hurt them to get that respect.  Make sure that you are really in the right when you do.  Nobody likes to get screwed, and that includes Management.
I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 01:07:28 AM »
No I'm fine, so far.

Basically it goes down like this. I work in IT for a processing company which is then owned by a much larger organization, which is a bank. What's strange about this job is we aren't salaried nor are we a normal help desk job. We have to do shift bids every now and then, whatever is available when it comes my turn to pick I choose. (So 1st shift is daytime, 2nd is swing and 3rd is overnight). It's been pretty fair thus far, goes down by seniority and if seniority matches then it's by performance. Anyway, there was a single open position about 3 months ago, and everyone was eligible to select it. However just this past month there was another open position (a 2nd shift) that became available but only the 1st and 3rd shift could select it. So my group, the 2nd shift could not select it. Even seedier was the fact we were not included on the email distribution list when the shift was open, I got ahold of the email because it was forwarded to me by my supervisor. Confronted management about it and didn't get an answer as to why. Escalated it to HR, and here I am about to get in a meeting with the director of our department to discuss this.

I'd love to drop this company and find something else after this issue, and a few others, but frankly I have yet to find a job that has come close to matching my pay. And I kind of like my job, it's really laid back and so easy.
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 10:58:21 AM »
I am a Union Steward, and I have rocked a few boats and sank a few ships.  Yes, they tried to fire me on a couple of occasions.  Knowing the law and keeping good records is why I am still here.  As was said above, it is VERY important that you pick your fights.  Also, talk before you file a grievance.  Most labor / managemet disputes are misunderstandings.  I have found that Management is very happy when you treat them the way you insist that they treat your men.  I expect coaching and warnings before discipline.  I also insist of my men that they exhaust every method to negotiate a settlement before they file a grievance.  Also, humility is a must.  It is THEIR company, and to an extent, you owe them some gratitude for hiring you.  I always give them the chance to look good and make it look like a settlement was their idea.  Why not?  I got what I wanted, why not let them get what they want.  They want fame, power and glory.  I want justice for my men.  If I get the latter, I don't care who gets the credit.  There is often more power in working quietly than there is painting a target on yourself.  They do not have to like you.  But it is important that they respect you.  Sometimes you have to hurt them to get that respect.  Make sure that you are really in the right when you do.  Nobody likes to get screwed, and that includes Management.

I sat for years on the bargaining team for the local governments for which I was counsel. I could not agree more with Punch's words - excepting for the 'fame, power and glory' part - we always thought that the folks across the table were looking for that stuff!  :D :D Although in local government I tried not to view it as 'our' town, i.e. the Mayor's - but rather as something we all were part of and had to make it work for the 'owners'. (Sanitation workers have a 'way' to make elected officials look bad after all! Some elected officials forget that and act like they are still in the private sector....)

Seriously though, it has been ten years or so since that part of my career and I still run into  now-retired cops and firefighters and sanitation workers who remember how my team approached these issues and thanked me for that. That is the reward - and I always remembered the lessons I learned from my dad in how to serve problems and treat people when I was engaged in personnel resolutions.

Offline Punch

• Taxiarches
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 03:48:04 PM »
I sat for years on the bargaining team for the local governments for which I was counsel. I could not agree more with Punch's words - excepting for the 'fame, power and glory' part - we always thought that the folks across the table were looking for that stuff!  :D :D

In many cases, you would be correct.  Leadership is leadership, and power is power.  There are Union bosses who are every bit as power hungry as some of the Managers.  And there are a lot of Managers who never forgot where they came from.  I am also in the public sector, and I often remind my own men, as well as Management, that it really should not be "us vs. them".  Both sides are servants of the people, and if we both do what is right and just, we will do the right thing.

As to the OP, you may want to be careful in this case.  Unless you are in a Union with a bargaining agreement with your company, they can pretty much do whatever they want as long as they do not violate any laws.  If they do not want to send the second shift an email, they do not have to.  They do not even have to bid the position.  Be careful, and good luck.
I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.

Offline Spartan563

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 12:23:12 AM »
Too make a very long story short, there has been some recent developments in my workplace that has caused me to escalate an issue to my HR group.

I am a person that is very vocal about injustices, unfairness, etc in the workplace. I have never done a formal HR investigation before either.

My question is has anyone ever escalated an issue at the workplace and were you then terminated because of it or because of it made you even a bigger target then normal?

No, but I sure made a lot of bosses seasick.   :D

Online scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 11:45:59 AM »

Yes, in an indirect way.  Long story, short.  The operations management team was hemorrhaging money from a client.  The company paid more in fines to the client than what it took in in revenue. Essentially, we were doing the client's work for free and eating the costs.  My department worked with the operations team (our job was to train new agents), but the operations team was tired of not being able to dictate to us what we could and couldn't do and used us as scapegoats in their weekly reports to the client. Of course, we didn't give way saying (correctly) that the training of new agents was our responsibility.  Operations can work in support roles, but we own it.   Rather than try to improve relations (which we did on our part), the operations team persisted.  Again, the company was doing the client's work for free essentially so in order to cut costs, the higher up VPs, rather than replace the operations management (who had caused this mess), terminated the positions held by me and a colleague to save money (it wouldn't amount to much; probably wouldn't even be enough to pay a quarterly fine).  So, I had to find a new job; luckily I did though I would prefer to do what I was doing since I was good at it. My termination occurred about a month ago.  But, hey, at least I still have a job.  Sometimes, maybe it's better to shut up because management always seems to be protected (which was clearly the case here; that's another story) and you get the blame and the consequences.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline mabsoota

• Archon
  • Kyrie eleison
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox (Coptic)
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 06:12:07 PM »
no but have been close to loosing my whole career a couple of times due to not 'fitting in'.
top tip: before rocking boat, check if it's God's will (eg. is company funding invasion of foreign countries, abusing migrants, committing treason against government etc.) so that if u end up out of a job, u can relax, knowing u r where God planned u to be.
if the reason for boat rocking is a personal grievance or some problem that maybe doesn't need sorting out urgently, then think twice.
another tip: check at least 2 or 3 other people feel as strongly as u about the issue so that they will stand by you till the issue is resolved. this way u r not left standing after all the people that initially said they would sign the petition back down under threat from the boss (it happened to me!)

having read yr story, achronos, i wouldn't push it too far. just 'show yr teeth' (as a friend of mine says) and then ease off.