OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 06:41:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: priest question  (Read 2017 times) Average Rating: 0
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« on: February 15, 2012, 01:31:31 PM »

This has probably been answered before, but I have a bad memory.

Lets say an Orthodox priest, who is married, wants to convert to the Roman Catholic Church. Can he be a priest? How are such things handled?

No real reason for asking, just a bored day at work, and my mind wanders Wink

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Manalive
Иоанн
Elder

Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate

It is later than we think.

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 01:39:44 PM »

I would imagine he could potentially serve under an Eastern Rite. Under Latin Rite, I wouldn't think so.

I know of an Episcopal priest who could not serve because he was married when he converted to Roman Catholic.

"Lay hold of the pathway... rugged and narrow as it is."- St. John Chrystostom
augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 01:44:21 PM »

Orthodox ( at least born, ethnic Orthodox) becoming catholic are normally required to keep their rite, so they become Greek-Catholics.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 01:46:50 PM »

Makes sense.....

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 01:47:13 PM »

I would imagine he could potentially serve under an Eastern Rite. Under Latin Rite, I wouldn't think so.

I know of an Episcopal priest who could not serve because he was married when he converted to Roman Catholic.

And yet, there are married Latin Rite priests.  And I believe that they are converts from the Anglican/Episcopalian Church.

My understanding, such as it is, is that when any Orthodox Christian "converts" (translates) to the Catholic Church, they are almost always put into an Eastern Rite church.  I'd imagine this would apply for a married Orthodox priest, too, but don't know for sure.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Scotty

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Portland

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 01:48:57 PM »

Orthodox Christians who convert to Catholicism become Eastern Catholics, regardless of which Church they make their confession in (this is all that is required).  I do not believe priests can switch rites, but can only be allowed to say other rites, though I am not positive.  So he would be an Eastern Rite priest, but I'm sure a Roman Catholic diocese would have no problem with giving him Latin-rite faculties.  It would come down to the Eparchy he joins, and whether they allow this.
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 02:02:26 PM »

Orthodox Christians who convert to Catholicism become Eastern Catholics, regardless of which Church they make their confession in (this is all that is required).  I do not believe priests can switch rites, but can only be allowed to say other rites, though I am not positive.  So he would be an Eastern Rite priest, but I'm sure a Roman Catholic diocese would have no problem with giving him Latin-rite faculties.  It would come down to the Eparchy he joins, and whether they allow this.

Sounds about right.

However:  There are still too many Roman rite bishops who are biased against all married clergy, east and west, and do not make things easy for transfer clergy when they are married.

Issues of authority and control.   Orthodoxy has several very good priests on account...and we were truly the losers.

M.

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 02:30:32 PM »

What about WRO? Are they enrolled in Eastern Catholic churches?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 02:31:15 PM by Alpo » Logged

primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 02:37:50 PM »

Good question, that'd be weird either way Wink

PP

Gregory the Great

elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 02:54:44 PM »

Good question, that'd be weird either way Wink

PP

Oh!!...never thought of it that way, but yes.  It would be wouldn't it...at least at an emotional and spiritual level.  But I suspect that now that there are the personal prelatures to be established, that might be a way to direct them, though that could get strange depending upon old pre-Roman Catholic relationships.  It is a very small world.

M.

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 04:11:29 PM »

But I suspect that now that there are the personal prelatures to be established, that might be a way to direct them

Why not to enroll them into the regular Latin church?

primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 04:15:30 PM »

But I suspect that now that there are the personal prelatures to be established, that might be a way to direct them

Because they're married priests...all kinds of butt hurt would follow.

Gregory the Great

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 04:19:13 PM »

Some RCC bishops have expressed support for a married priesthood. It'll still be a while before they change the canon law, although the present Pope and his predecessor had more cordial relations with the Eastern churches than have others.

I think the easiest thing to do would be to allow a choice of marriage prior to ordination, same way it's done in the Orthodox Church. It may happen someday, but sometimes they do things a little slowly.  Undecided Too bad.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 04:25:09 PM »

If married Anglican priests can be received into the Latin church, how would it be different to receive married WRO priests into that same Latin church?

Just out of curiousity--how many married WRO priests are there, and how many of those are likely to convert to Catholicism?

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 04:33:17 PM »

LOL. I had completely forgot that one.

Of course this is probably just a theoretical question. I assume that all of our WR clergy have made an explicit decision to not to join the RCC since that would be a lot easier option than WRO.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 04:33:45 PM by Alpo » Logged

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2012, 05:20:20 PM »

Lets say an Orthodox priest, who is married, wants to convert to the Roman Catholic Church. Can he be a priest? How are such things handled?

PP
Well, since we recognize the Eastern Orthodox priesthood, we already know that he is a priest.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2012, 05:20:20 PM »

While I recognize that married priests do face a great deal of prejudice, my traditioinal parish was greatly enriched by the presence of two married priests in the past year. One was an ex-Anglican priest. The other used to be a Bishop for the Episcopalians and is now the head of those Catholics who use the Anglican rite here in the United States. Both men experienced some prejudice, but, for the most part, our parish loved them.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2012, 05:20:20 PM »

Some RCC bishops have expressed support for a married priesthood. It'll still be a while before they change the canon law, although the present Pope and his predecessor had more cordial relations with the Eastern churches than have others.

I think the easiest thing to do would be to allow a choice of marriage prior to ordination, same way it's done in the Orthodox Church. It may happen someday, but sometimes they do things a little slowly.  Undecided Too bad.
It would be very difficult for us to make such a transition because our parishes tend to be huge, and that would make it very difficult to balance ministarial and family life for such priets.

James2
Mr.
High Elder

Faith: skeptic

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2012, 06:05:01 PM »

If married Anglican priests can be received into the Latin church, how would it be different to receive married WRO priests into that same Latin church?

Just out of curiousity--how many married WRO priests are there, and how many of those are likely to convert to Catholicism?

In the AOCA there are around 30 WRO priests, most of whom are married.  Doubtful that any are likely to convert to Catholicism.  Several are former Catholics.
James2
Mr.
High Elder

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2012, 06:06:24 PM »

LOL. I had completely forgot that one.

Of course this is probably just a theoretical question. I assume that all of our WR clergy have made an explicit decision to not to join the RCC since that would be a lot easier option than WRO.

How would that have been easier?
Deacon Lance
Archon

Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2012, 06:19:34 PM »

I know of one Orthodox priest who became Latin Catholic and serves in the Latin Church exclusively.  I know another who became Russian Catholic but is bi-ritual and is pastor of a dual Russian/Latin parish.

There are many married Latin Catholic priests who were former Episcopal/Anglican priests.  I imagine the Latin bishop simply didn't want him.  He was under no obligation to ordain him.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2012, 06:24:01 PM »

Now, the fun part would be someone in my scenario if i was ordained

Born Latin Catholic, convert(ing) to Orthodoxy, and if i was ordained and reverted to teh rcc, then(as far as i know) i would still be a latin catholic, despite all the other matters

SCREW BON JOVI!
Deacon Lance
Archon

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2012, 06:31:50 PM »

Born Latin Catholic, convert(ing) to Orthodoxy, and if i was ordained and reverted to teh rcc, then(as far as i know) i would still be a latin catholic, despite all the other matters

That  is correct.  The bigger question would be did you leave the Latin Church as an adult?  If so, while recognizing your Orthodox ordination, you would not be allowed to serve in the Latin Church as a priest.  This is how Rome heads off defection for ordination at the pass, as it were.

stanley123
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2012, 08:35:08 PM »

I heard of such a case of a  Latin Catholic converting to E. Orthodox and being ordained an Orthodox priest. After a while as an Orthodox priest, he decided he wanted to be a Catholic. The Byzantine Catholic Church simply accepted him as he was, and he serves as a Byzantine Catholic priest.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2012, 10:26:39 PM »

PP

I know of one Orthodox priest who served as a US military chaplain for twenty years who was married, remained married and was received into the Roman Rite of the Catholic Church while his wife remained Orthodox.

Normally, such men are received into the Eastern Catholic Church parallel to their own background. i.e. Ukrainian to Ukrainian etc...

username!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2012, 07:43:49 PM »

I know of one Orthodox priest who became Latin Catholic and serves in the Latin Church exclusively.  I know another who became Russian Catholic but is bi-ritual and is pastor of a dual Russian/Latin parish.

There are many married Latin Catholic priests who were former Episcopal/Anglican priests.  I imagine the Latin bishop simply didn't want him.  He was under no obligation to ordain him.

Is the Pittsburgh Eparchy going to ordain married men anytime soon?  I know Bishop Kudrick has done that in Parma in the past, does Bishop-elect Skurla plan to ordain married men?  And one more thing, the byzcaths need to convince him to grow a beard.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 07:45:41 PM by username! » Logged

username!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2012, 07:46:57 PM »

Pretty much, you're still "on the books" always at the RC diocese. 

Deacon Lance
Archon

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2012, 11:15:01 PM »

I know of one Orthodox priest who became Latin Catholic and serves in the Latin Church exclusively.  I know another who became Russian Catholic but is bi-ritual and is pastor of a dual Russian/Latin parish.

There are many married Latin Catholic priests who were former Episcopal/Anglican priests.  I imagine the Latin bishop simply didn't want him.  He was under no obligation to ordain him.

Is the Pittsburgh Eparchy going to ordain married men anytime soon?  I know Bishop Kudrick has done that in Parma in the past, does Bishop-elect Skurla plan to ordain married men?  And one more thing, the byzcaths need to convince him to grow a beard.

I don't know.  We do have a married priest in the Archeparchy but he came from Ukraine.  Once he sees my awesome beard he'll be sure to grow one.    Grin

elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2012, 11:26:28 PM »

Is the Pittsburgh Eparchy going to ordain married men anytime soon?  I know Bishop Kudrick has done that in Parma in the past, does Bishop-elect Skurla plan to ordain married men?  And one more thing, the byzcaths need to convince him to grow a beard.

I don't know.  We do have a married priest in the Archeparchy but he came from Ukraine.  Once he sees my awesome beard he'll be sure to grow one.    Grin

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

You are a bearded mess!!...I needed that laugh!!...tnx
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 11:27:03 PM by elijahmaria » Logged

Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2012, 01:13:07 AM »

In the Diocese of Shreveport, a former Methodist minister who is married serves as a priest under the Latin Church's pastoral provision, or so I am told by my Catholic acquaintance who is in the discernment process for the priesthood.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
username!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2012, 10:16:00 AM »

Is the Pittsburgh Eparchy going to ordain married men anytime soon?  I know Bishop Kudrick has done that in Parma in the past, does Bishop-elect Skurla plan to ordain married men?  And one more thing, the byzcaths need to convince him to grow a beard.

I don't know.  We do have a married priest in the Archeparchy but he came from Ukraine.  Once he sees my awesome beard he'll be sure to grow one.    Grin

He probably will have to grow a beard to survive a Pittsburgh winter.  Yeah, the parish on southside has a married priest, the  Ukrainian one with forty three domes?  (ok I think it's really like 7)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 10:16:20 AM by username! » Logged

podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2012, 11:32:07 AM »

The BCC priest here in Binghamton was ordained in Presov as a married Greek Catholic priest in the early 1990's. He is married to a Ukrainian American woman. They have one child. It is my understanding that he did not come directly to America as that was not permitted. He came to the Slovak Greek Catholics in Canada and then to the Diocese of Passaic in the USA. He is very 'vostochnyj' if you know what I mean!  Smiley Many there are not too 'cool' with that.....
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 11:32:59 AM by podkarpatska » Logged
Scotty

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2012, 11:43:36 AM »

The Church is just being prudent, for a change.  Some RCC bishops have also seen no theological reason to forbid women from priestly ordination...it doesn't mean they're right.  Right now, married priests could be damaging to an already damaged Church, a risk not worth taking at the moment.  Once the spirit of VII is [super] dead, then perhaps it could be discussed.
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2012, 12:50:02 PM »

The Church is just being prudent, for a change.  Some RCC bishops have also seen no theological reason to forbid women from priestly ordination...it doesn't mean they're right.  Right now, married priests could be damaging to an already damaged Church, a risk not worth taking at the moment.  Once the spirit of VII is [super] dead, then perhaps it could be discussed.
Eh?

Maybe I am dense (quite likely, actually), but I can't see how relaxing this particular discipline would damage the Roman church.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2012, 06:51:36 PM »

Right now, married priests could be damaging to an already damaged Church, a risk not worth taking at the moment.
How would married priests be damaging to the RC Church?
Deacon Lance
Archon

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2012, 07:52:41 PM »

He probably will have to grow a beard to survive a Pittsburgh winter.  Yeah, the parish on southside has a married priest, the  Ukrainian one with forty three domes?  (ok I think it's really like 7)

Yes the Ukrainian Catholic parish on the Southside and the Northside both have married priests, but Ruthenian Archeparchy of Pittsburgh has a married priest in Youngstown as well.

James2
Mr.
High Elder

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2012, 07:53:52 PM »

Right now, married priests could be damaging to an already damaged Church, a risk not worth taking at the moment.

Allowing married priests could encourage dissident Catholics to press for even more changes.  Plus married priests would find it hard to support a family on the low salaries they would be paid.
Deacon Lance
Archon

« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2012, 07:55:04 PM »

The BCC priest here in Binghamton was ordained in Presov as a married Greek Catholic priest in the early 1990's. He is married to a Ukrainian American woman. They have one child. It is my understanding that he did not come directly to America as that was not permitted. He came to the Slovak Greek Catholics in Canada and then to the Diocese of Passaic in the USA. He is very 'vostochnyj' if you know what I mean!  Smiley Many there are not too 'cool' with that.....

Never heard of that before.  The married priests in Pittsburgh and Parma came straight here.

stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2012, 09:25:14 PM »

Allowing married priests could encourage dissident Catholics to press for even more changes.
If the Catholic authorities thought that changes were damaging to the Catholic Church, why then did they put in so many changes after Vatican II?
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2012, 11:43:25 PM »

The only way I can think of is, potentially, economic.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
James2
Mr.
High Elder

« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2012, 12:11:57 AM »

Allowing married priests could encourage dissident Catholics to press for even more changes.
If the Catholic authorities thought that changes were damaging to the Catholic Church, why then did they put in so many changes after Vatican II?

Now that is a very good question!
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Time-wasting self-embarrassing anti-Christian hater

« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2012, 12:24:45 AM »

So what if an Orthodox priest converted but there weren't any EC parishes within hours' driving distance? Would the priest have to move or would he become Latin?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2012, 08:52:43 AM »

The only way I can think of is, potentially, economic.

Well, there's not only that. If they switch to a married priesthood, the first time someone gets caught having an affair or gets divorced, boy are we not going to hear the end of it. It's happened before to a few Orthodox I've heard of. It is very damaging for the parish community. It's a bit crass to say they are only worried about the money aspect.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Scotty

« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2012, 11:45:07 AM »

It will create divisions within an already divided Church.  The SSPX will be forever out of communion, and traditionalists in communion (FSSP, ICRSS, etc) will refuse married priests just as they already do married deacons, of course acknowledging their orders and place in other parts of church to be politically correct.  They will be scrutinized by the mainline Church, which they largely already are; this would damage all the headway the Pope has given to traditionalism.  Which major groups are calling for married clergy within the Roman Catholic Church?  The same ones which are calling for female clergy, gay marriage, open communion, etc.  It will only open a larger can of worms, giving them the impression that Rome is heeding their desires.  And of course economic reasons, but this is right in line with Roman teaching.  If you cannot financially support a marriage and family, then chances are God is not calling you to do so.  Likewise, if a Church cannot support many families, then God is probably not calling it to do so.  

Notice I said could be damaging.  It doesn't mean it would be, but is not worth the risk.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 11:45:55 AM by Scotty » Logged
stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2012, 08:01:10 PM »

So what if an Orthodox priest converted but there weren't any EC parishes within hours' driving distance? Would the priest have to move or would he become Latin?
I guess he would be relocated. Just a guess.
stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2012, 08:06:38 PM »

It will create divisions within an already divided Church.  The SSPX will be forever out of communion, and traditionalists in communion (FSSP, ICRSS, etc) will refuse married priests just as they already do married deacons, of course acknowledging their orders and place in other parts of church to be politically correct.  They will be scrutinized by the mainline Church, which they largely already are; this would damage all the headway the Pope has given to traditionalism.  Which major groups are calling for married clergy within the Roman Catholic Church?  The same ones which are calling for female clergy, gay marriage, open communion, etc.  It will only open a larger can of worms, giving them the impression that Rome is heeding their desires.  And of course economic reasons, but this is right in line with Roman teaching.  If you cannot financially support a marriage and family, then chances are God is not calling you to do so.  Likewise, if a Church cannot support many families, then God is probably not calling it to do so.  

Notice I said could be damaging.  It doesn't mean it would be, but is not worth the risk.
Was it worth the risk to have all of the other changes such as granting marriage annulments to almost everyone who wants one?
There are already married priests in the Catholic Church and I don't see where this has created any problems. If Our Divine Lord and Savior chose a married man (St. Peter) to the the first Pope of the Catholic Church, how dare anyone think that what Our Divine Lord had done was in any way damaging to the Catholic Church?
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2012, 10:04:49 AM »

Had he began Catholic at some earlier point in his life, or was he converting to the RCC for the first time?

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2012, 10:08:02 AM »

Well, you never know. I'm thinking of a certain ex-Anglican (many of you might know him) who became an RC priest, but then later became an EO priest. It's not unthinkable that someone might go the other way, i.e. become an EO priest but then later become an RC priest.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2012, 10:17:23 AM »

Good question. In principle, if someone in the Antiochian Orthodox Church who is WRO converts to Catholicism, he/she should be enrolled in the Melkite Church -- since the Melkite Church is a Church not a Rite. In practice, I can't say what happens.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2012, 10:22:41 AM »

In the Diocese of Shreveport, a former Methodist minister who is married serves as a priest under the Latin Church's pastoral provision, or so I am told by my Catholic acquaintance who is in the discernment process for the priesthood.

Interesting. You don't usually hear about the provision being applied to former Methodists.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2012, 11:05:07 AM »

Well, there's not only that. If they switch to a married priesthood, the first time someone gets caught having an affair or gets divorced, boy are we not going to hear the end of it.

Gosh, I hadn't thought of that. :eek: You're right, we wouldn't hear the end of it.

username!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2012, 02:38:52 PM »

I have heard the argument that the mandatory celibate priesthood in the RCC was implemented in part in order to protect church property and money.
I imagine it's still a large reason they stick to it today.  Remember the RCC is one of the world's largest real estate owners.  Not so much in order of pure land but in buildings, housing, churches, schools, hospitals, etc...

Scotty

« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2012, 08:58:22 PM »

Was it worth the risk to have all of the other changes such as granting marriage annulments to almost everyone who wants one?
There are already married priests in the Catholic Church and I don't see where this has created any problems. If Our Divine Lord and Savior chose a married man (St. Peter) to the the first Pope of the Catholic Church, how dare anyone think that what Our Divine Lord had done was in any way damaging to the Catholic Church?

None of the reasons I listed have ANYTHING to do with what our Lord did, nor are they theological.  I never once said married priests are inherently damaging to the Church.  When I said "They will be scrutinized by the mainline Church", I was referring to traditionalist groups, not married clergy.

Keep in mind St. Peter was a bishop.  Do you see any married Bishops in Catholic or Orthodox Churches?  No.  Compare to the married espiscopacy of the Anglican Church.  "How dare the Catholic Church think itself better than our Lord" is probably not the attitude to have with regards to this, either. 
Scotty

« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2012, 09:04:33 PM »

I have heard the argument that the mandatory celibate priesthood in the RCC was implemented in part in order to protect church property and money.
I imagine it's still a large reason they stick to it today.  Remember the RCC is one of the world's largest real estate owners.  Not so much in order of pure land but in buildings, housing, churches, schools, hospitals, etc...

This is probably said by the same people that say the Vatican controls 99.9% of the world's wealth.

You don't have to find some ancient document or elaborate conspiracy or priest's wives scandals.  Ask any good Roman Catholic priest if they prefer married or celibate life.  The vast majority will tell you celibate.  Perhaps there's something to this.
stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2012, 09:31:03 PM »

None of the reasons I listed have ANYTHING to do with what our Lord did, nor are they theological.  I never once said married priests are inherently damaging to the Church.  When I said "They will be scrutinized by the mainline Church", I was referring to traditionalist groups, not married clergy.

Keep in mind St. Peter was a bishop.  Do you see any married Bishops in Catholic or Orthodox Churches?  No.  Compare to the married espiscopacy of the Anglican Church.  "How dare the Catholic Church think itself better than our Lord" is probably not the attitude to have with regards to this, either. 
There have been married bishops in the Catholic church and it was not damaging to the Church, as far as I know. Can you show how in any way, it was damaging to the Church to have had married bishops or married priests?
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2012, 09:41:12 PM »

None of the reasons I listed have ANYTHING to do with what our Lord did, nor are they theological.  I never once said married priests are inherently damaging to the Church.  When I said "They will be scrutinized by the mainline Church", I was referring to traditionalist groups, not married clergy.

Keep in mind St. Peter was a bishop.  Do you see any married Bishops in Catholic or Orthodox Churches?  No.  Compare to the married espiscopacy of the Anglican Church.  "How dare the Catholic Church think itself better than our Lord" is probably not the attitude to have with regards to this, either.  

The Anglican Church Communion certainly has many problems (and I think I'm more keenly aware of them than most people who talk about them on this forum) but I doubt they can be traced to having a married episcopacy. Your point is less than clear.

The Continuing Anglican churches have a married episcopacy too, btw. So does the Polish National Catholic Church.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 09:42:58 PM by Peter J » Logged

Scotty

« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2012, 11:04:09 PM »

There have been married bishops in the Catholic church and it was not damaging to the Church, as far as I know. Can you show how in any way, it was damaging to the Church to have had married bishops or married priests?

I am not a historian, so no, I cannot, but I'm sure someone knowledgeable on here can.  I will say though the decision to have celibate bishops is to have better bishops, not to prevent worse ones.  I should clarify that married Bishops are allowed in Orthodox Churches as long as they leave their wives (not divorce), but I'm not sure if this is or ever was common.

Again though, you are missing my point.  I am not saying married priests have been damaging, nor am I saying married priests are bad priests; I am saying introducing a married priesthood to the Roman Catholic Church could be damaging for said social/political/economic reasons.  I'm no authority on the matter, and the has been's are not of my concern.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sexually_active_popes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clerical_celibacy
Scotty

« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2012, 11:15:56 PM »

None of the reasons I listed have ANYTHING to do with what our Lord did, nor are they theological.  I never once said married priests are inherently damaging to the Church.  When I said "They will be scrutinized by the mainline Church", I was referring to traditionalist groups, not married clergy.

Keep in mind St. Peter was a bishop.  Do you see any married Bishops in Catholic or Orthodox Churches?  No.  Compare to the married espiscopacy of the Anglican Church.  "How dare the Catholic Church think itself better than our Lord" is probably not the attitude to have with regards to this, either.  

The Anglican Church Communion certainly has many problems (and I think I'm more keenly aware of them than most people who talk about them on this forum) but I doubt they can be traced to having a married episcopacy. Your point is less than clear.

The Continuing Anglican churches have a married episcopacy too, btw. So does the Polish National Catholic Church.

I didn't have a point.  But now that you mention it, it's probably the female episcopate.

The PNCC was formed for bogus reasons, and I am not surprised with the direction they've gone.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 11:24:26 PM by Scotty » Logged
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2012, 11:39:37 PM »

I didn't have a point.  But now that you mention it, it's probably the female episcopate.

Sadly, the trouble started well before the female episcopate. Keep in mind here that even the EC-USA and the Anglican Church of Canada (the two provinces of the Anglican Communion which have gone off the rails worst) didn't have any female bishops until 1989 and 1994, respectively. The Church of England still doesn't have any female bishops.

Female bishops are just one symptom of a disorder that began decades before.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 11:41:17 PM by Peter J » Logged

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2012, 11:42:48 PM »

The PNCC was formed for bogus reasons, and I am not surprised with the direction they've gone.

What direction would that be?

stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2012, 03:53:25 AM »

...I am saying introducing a married priesthood to the Roman Catholic Church could be damaging for said social/political/economic reasons.
I can just as easily say that introducing a married priesthood to the Roman Catholic Church could be highly beneficial for social/political/historical/cultural/ecumenical and religious reasons.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 03:54:49 AM by stanley123 » Logged
Scotty

« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2012, 02:48:38 PM »

Joining the Anglican Communion, Old Catholics, etc, rejecting original sin, accepting contraception and divorce, optional private confession, and now seeking re-communion with Rome while keeping their ways.  In a nutshell, being convenient Catholics, a common direction of all breakaway churches.
Scotty

« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2012, 02:49:52 PM »

...I am saying introducing a married priesthood to the Roman Catholic Church could be damaging for said social/political/economic reasons.
I can just as easily say that introducing a married priesthood to the Roman Catholic Church could be highly beneficial for social/political/historical/cultural/ecumenical and religious reasons.

Ok.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2012, 03:14:47 PM »

Joining the Anglican Communion, Old Catholics, etc, rejecting original sin, accepting contraception and divorce, optional private confession, and now seeking re-communion with Rome while keeping their ways.  In a nutshell, being convenient Catholics, a common direction of all breakaway churches.

Just the opposite actually. The PNCC has been fighting against innovation. For example, they terminated their inter-communion with the Episcopal Church in the United States in 1978, in response to its decision to ordain women to the priesthood. Similarly, the PNCC is now no longer in full communion with the Old Catholics, owing mainly to the latter's decision to ordain women to the priesthood.

What's more, I believe it was mentioned on an earlier thread that the PNCC has rejected the filioque, Papal Infallibility, and Papal Supremacy.

Other than having married Bishops, the PNCC is very traditional.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 03:18:34 PM by Peter J » Logged

primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2012, 03:44:29 PM »

hat's more, I believe it was mentioned on an earlier thread that the PNCC has rejected the filioque, Papal Infallibility, and Papal Supremacy.

Other than having married Bishops, the PNCC is very traditional.
I like em Smiley

PP

Gregory the Great

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2012, 07:38:09 AM »

I also found this on Wikipedia:

Although the PNCC has entered into tentative negotiations with Orthodox Churches in North America, no union has resulted due to the PNCC's substantial adherence to the Catholic view of the sacraments and other issues.

Can anyone elaborate on that?

podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2012, 09:40:29 AM »

Although the PNCC has entered into tentative negotiations with Orthodox Churches in North America, no union has resulted due to the PNCC's substantial adherence to the Catholic view of the sacraments and other issues.

Totally unaware of such discussions.
username!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2012, 01:05:17 PM »

Totally unaware of such discussions.

Weird because the PNCC doesn't have private confessions over about the age of 15.  They have a general confession during mass.  I wouldn't believe any of this hype.  In my experience the PNCC clergy could see the Orthodox priest turn around in his parking lot and call that a sign of communion.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: