OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 28, 2014, 09:44:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jim Douglass' new book, 'Gandhi and the Unspeakable'  (Read 282 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: February 14, 2012, 08:47:32 PM »

"Just as one must learn the art of killing in the training for violence," Gandhi once wrote, "so one must learn the art of dying in the training for nonviolence."

Douglass explores how Gandhi spent his life learning the art of dying in his training for nonviolence. Like Jesus with his eyes on the cross, Gandhi was always preparing for nonviolent martyrdom, hoping and praying to be ready with a heart of love and forgiveness.

Douglass takes us through the attacks and beatings Gandhi suffered in South Africa and his steadfast nonviolent response, and then walks us through the conspiracy to kill Gandhi and destroy his vision of a nonviolent India. Douglass not only offers an original contribution to the study of Gandhi and modern India, he once again confronts "the Unspeakable" and places before us the choice of state-sanctioned violence versus the vision of a new world of nonviolence.
At the center of the conspiracy to kill Gandhi stood a mastermind of violence Gandhi knew well. Gandhi even knew the triggerman who eventually killed him. After the assassin tried and failed to kill Gandhi and was released, Gandhi invited him to come and live with him for a week in his ashram so they could talk. But the assassin was just an acolyte of the brilliant cult leader Vinayak Savarkar, a philosopher of revolutionary violence, assassination and terrorism. Savarkar spent his life building a right-wing movement of Hindu nationalism that still controls and threatens much of India today. For decades, Savarkar trained his disciples to kill Gandhi and others in order to create a more powerful, independent India.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 08:51:30 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 07:02:02 AM »

Gandhi remains one of my spiritual heroes. He lived a more authentic Christian life than many professing Christians. Gandhi followed the example of Christ even though he did not worship Him. Many claim to worship Christ but they refuse to follow Him. Who is closer to God?

Our Lord said, "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." [St. John 15:13] Gandhi epitomized this greatest of loves. He is not a Saint, but he is a wonderful example of the power of authentic peace and nonviolence.

My favorite Gandhi story:
Margaret Sanger once visited India to meet with Gandhi so that she could persuade him to implement her birth control agenda in that country. After patiently listening to her anti-life spiel, Gandhi smiled and kindly said, "Madam, our people don't need birth control; they need self control."

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 07:05:28 AM »

One of my favorite passages by Gandhi, assessing the Eiffel Tower:

"I must say a word about the Eiffel Tower. I do not know what purpose it serves today. But I then heard it greatly disparaged as well as praised. I remember that Tolstoy was the chief among those who disparaged it. He said that the Eiffel Tower was a monument of man's folly, not of his wisdom. Tobacco, he argued, was the worst of all intoxicants, inasmuch as a man addicted to it was tempted to commit crimes which a drunkard never dared to do; liquor made a man mad, but tobacco clouded his intellect and made him build castles in the air. The Eiffel Tower was one of the creations of a man under such influence. There is no art about the Eiffel Tower. In no way can it be said to have contributed to the real beauty of the Exhibition. Men flocked to see it and ascended it as it was a novelty and of unique dimensions. It was the toy of the Exhibition. So long as we are children we are attracted by toys, and the Tower was a good demonstration of the fact that we are all children attracted by trinkets. That may be claimed to be the purpose served by the Eiffel Tower."

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: