OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 11:04:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Penn Class Teaches Students How To Live Like Monks  (Read 430 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: February 14, 2012, 01:20:18 PM »

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Looking for a wild-and-crazy time at college? Don't sign up for Justin McDaniel's religious studies class.

The associate professor's course on monastic life and asceticism gives students at the University of Pennsylvania a firsthand experience of what it's like to be a monk.

At various periods during the semester, students must forego technology, coffee, physical human contact and certain foods. They'll also have to wake up at 5 a.m. — without an alarm clock.

That's just a sample of the restrictions McDaniel imposes in an effort to help students become more observant, aware and disciplined. Each constraint represents an actual taboo observed by a monastic religious order.

"I've found in the past that students take this extremely seriously," said McDaniel, who has taught the class twice before. "I've had very few people who try to get away with things, and you can always tell when they are."

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

Faith: greek orthodox
Jurisdiction: christian

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 03:39:09 PM »

nice! I would take the class if it was about Orthodox monastisisim.

There is a tv show where they take 3 or 4/5 peole and put them to live as a monk in a cathoic monestary.

I will post a link of i can find it.
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

Faith: greek orthodox
Jurisdiction: christian

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 03:51:59 PM »

Here it is, i was able to find it in youtub, so its 10 min each video.

its a BBC film so it should be out there on the internet in its full eposods.

it was a very interesting show, i might watch it again if i have the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKTA1e2boSc
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 05:19:56 PM »

The story says that McDaniel is a practicing Buddhist and a practicing Catholic. That is incorrect. He does not practice both.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 06:00:14 PM »

Ever hear of a Thomas Merton.

Cathuddists (I know, not as cool as Jubu, but probably better than Buddlics, and it sounds sorta like Cthulhu) I am sure would say the newage thinker would disagree.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 06:18:43 PM »

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Looking for a wild-and-crazy time at college? Don't sign up for Justin McDaniel's religious studies class.

The associate professor's course on monastic life and asceticism gives students at the University of Pennsylvania a firsthand experience of what it's like to be a monk.

At various periods during the semester, students must forego technology, coffee, physical human contact and certain foods. They'll also have to wake up at 5 a.m. — without an alarm clock.

That's just a sample of the restrictions McDaniel imposes in an effort to help students become more observant, aware and disciplined. Each constraint represents an actual taboo observed by a monastic religious order.

"I've found in the past that students take this extremely seriously," said McDaniel, who has taught the class twice before. "I've had very few people who try to get away with things, and you can always tell when they are."

Rather bad journalism to refer to monastic disciplines as "taboos."  The author is clearly misunderstanding the the point of monastic rules.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 10:50:19 PM »

The problem with this class is that it divorces those rules from the context they are meant to be in, including the spiritual context, and it picks and chooses things.  If you really want to learn what it's like to be a monk, pick a monastery or convent, and go live there for a couple of months.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 10:08:49 AM »

The problem with this class is that it divorces those rules from the context they are meant to be in, including the spiritual context, and it picks and chooses things.  If you really want to learn what it's like to be a monk, pick a monastery or convent, and go live there for a couple of months.

From what I gather this is a survey course, not an in depth study of one particular form of monasticism.  It is a good teacher that can take something so abstract and try to make it more.  If some students walk away from the experience seeing that some forms of discipline and structure are fulfilling rather than negative, that'd be great. 
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 11:47:25 PM »

From what I gather this is a survey course, not an in depth study of one particular form of monasticism.  It is a good teacher that can take something so abstract and try to make it more.  If some students walk away from the experience seeing that some forms of discipline and structure are fulfilling rather than negative, that'd be great. 

Perhaps...I just got a different feel from the article.  I could quite possibly be wrong.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: