Author Topic: Nicki Minaj's Grammy Performace Mocks Catholicism / Satanists mocking Icons @ the Grammy Awards?  (Read 15612 times)

Offline JamesRottnek

• Taxiarches
  • I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine
Re: Nicki Minaj's Grammy Performace Mocks Catholicism
« Reply #90 on: February 14, 2012, 11:49:53 PM »
If the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences doesn't already screen proposed performances, this is evidence that they need to.  If they do, then this is evidence that someone needs to smack some sense into whoever does so.
"Homosexuality has been a popular topic, but not Satanic trances."

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011

Offline FormerReformer

• Convertodox of the convertodox
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
    • Music and Orthodoxy
  • Faith: Convertodox
  • Jurisdiction: Netodoxy
« Reply #91 on: February 15, 2012, 01:16:42 AM »
Is this the wrong place to say that I thought it was really well done and one of the most interesting pop pieces I've seen in a long time? And that in all fairness, the action on the screen fit the events of the song, wherein someone suspected of insanity (or demon possession) is being subjected to treatment above and beyond what they were willing to undergo at the hands of supposedly benevolent authority figures?

Roman Catholicism and exorcism are the more famous examples in pop culture thanks to films such as The Exorcist, almost demanding that a Roman priest and rites be used in the performance for cultural literacy, but there are multiple news stories per year about Charismatic sects going too far in their attempts to expel demons (usually in the case of some rebellious teenage girl likely tired of putting up with her family's wacko crap). The problem is, there is no easily recognizable backwoods "Pentecostal Preacher" visual short-hand, unlike Roman Catholicism (monks, priests, nuns, etc) or even Televangelists (slick hair, expensive suit, cross on podium).

At the end of the day I don't think this video is any more anti-Roman Catholic than Pink Floyd's Another Brick in the Wall pt 2 was against education.
"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!

Offline Riddikulus

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #92 on: February 15, 2012, 01:52:31 AM »
Is this the wrong place to say that I thought it was really well done and one of the most interesting pop pieces I've seen in a long time? And that in all fairness, the action on the screen fit the events of the song, wherein someone suspected of insanity (or demon possession) is being subjected to treatment above and beyond what they were willing to undergo at the hands of supposedly benevolent authority figures?

Roman Catholicism and exorcism are the more famous examples in pop culture thanks to films such as The Exorcist, almost demanding that a Roman priest and rites be used in the performance for cultural literacy, but there are multiple news stories per year about Charismatic sects going too far in their attempts to expel demons (usually in the case of some rebellious teenage girl likely tired of putting up with her family's wacko crap). The problem is, there is no easily recognizable backwoods "Pentecostal Preacher" visual short-hand, unlike Roman Catholicism (monks, priests, nuns, etc) or even Televangelists (slick hair, expensive suit, cross on podium).

At the end of the day I don't think this video is any more anti-Roman Catholic than Pink Floyd's Another Brick in the Wall pt 2 was against education.
I don't think it's the wrong place to say the above.

My opinion (as if it matters to anyone)? Mockery is good for us. It spurs us on to clean up our acts. Unless, of course, we simply resort to dodging bullets by crying "foul!" and "Satanic!" and "Anti-<Add-Whatever-One-Doesn't-Like-Being-Criticised-Here!>". Viva la freedom of criticism, even if the Catholic Church, the Orthodox Church, Education, or whatever other sacrosanct beliefs someone might hold to, is on the receiving end. In the end, it can make us better at whatever it is we are.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 01:54:33 AM by Riddikulus »
I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Son of a Preacher Man
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox OCA
Re: Satanists mocking Icons @ the Grammy Awards?
« Reply #93 on: February 15, 2012, 02:23:30 AM »
I'm more shocked that any of you watched the Grammy Awards. 

Kinda what I was thinking.  I'd rather watch Andrew Dice Clay run the Kentucky Derby in a horse suit.  Anyway, I doubt this goofball is Satanic, she's simply parading her bad taste while riding on Madonna's frayed coattails.  And why would anyone be surprised about the bad taste found at the Grammy's?  The fact that some folks are watching this train wreck tells me that some folks still cling to bad taste like a Garfield suction cup doll on the inside windshield of an AMC pacer.
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Son of a Preacher Man
« Reply #94 on: February 15, 2012, 02:25:43 AM »
It's a shame one can't look to the grammys for examples of moral uprightness anymore.  ;)

:D :D
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
  • Inserting personal quote here.
    • St. Gregory the Theologian Orthodox Church
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox (former WR)
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Boston
« Reply #95 on: February 15, 2012, 10:47:56 AM »
The grammys still matter? Really? Wow, I learn something new everyday.

PP
"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker

Offline Eastern Mind

• High Elder
  • Faith: Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch (Maronite)
« Reply #96 on: February 15, 2012, 10:51:27 AM »
It's a shame one can't look to the grammys for examples of moral uprightness anymore.  ;)

Ha!  :D
My anime double posts here.

^^^ It's been so long since I've been here I literally have no idea what that is even referring to o_O

Offline orthonorm

• BANNED for rules violations
  • Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
  • Faith: DSM 5
  • Jurisdiction: Apostle to the Church of ASD
« Reply #97 on: February 15, 2012, 11:42:17 AM »
History is nothing other than lies that have been agreed to.
History is simply the version of what happened that the victors have written
History is what the historians say it is.

History is what people say historians say it is.

Offline Timon

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #98 on: February 15, 2012, 11:43:50 AM »
How original of her to protest/poke fun at Christianity. No one has ever done that before...
Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
« Reply #99 on: February 15, 2012, 11:47:09 AM »
Ok, so a bunch of elitist morons attach Christianity and folks are surprised by that?

Really?

I would find a Grammy or Oscar, or silly named show that does not poke at Christianity to be FAR more noteworthy.

PP
"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker

Offline GTAsoldier

• Elder
  • Faith: Christian and failing at it
« Reply #100 on: February 15, 2012, 12:00:50 PM »
I myself am not so suprised at what happened at the Grammys. (True) Christianity are not of this world and the west has this current and limited view of Christianity presented by the Roman Catholic and Protestant Churches of today and anything that's mostly controversial in Christianity in western postmodern eyes would mostly point to these two churches. And that's when the cheap shots start.

Forgive me if I'm wrong
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 12:09:25 PM by GTAsoldier »
God be merciful to us sinners.

Quote from: IoanC
the best way of conveying God's love to people is through your own presence and deeds.
No longer posting on this forum. Thanks to all the helpful people who inspired me. God bless.

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Serbian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of New Gracanica
« Reply #101 on: February 15, 2012, 12:10:29 PM »

People are historians say history that people are they say.
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline dzheremi

• No longer posting here.
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #102 on: February 15, 2012, 12:24:14 PM »
STOP THE RECURSION!!!!!!!!! :D

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #103 on: February 15, 2012, 12:24:29 PM »

People are historians say history that people are they say.
???
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline dzheremi

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #104 on: February 15, 2012, 12:27:53 PM »
What's confusing? Vamrat, that was hilarious.

Offline FountainPen

• Is not wasting any more of her ink
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #105 on: February 15, 2012, 12:32:33 PM »
If we're plagiarising Churchill we might as well add Mr Marx to the mix

"History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce."
None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try. Mark Twain

Offline Papist

• Patriarch of Pontification
  • Toumarches
« Reply #106 on: February 15, 2012, 12:37:04 PM »
How original of her to protest/poke fun at Christianity. No one has ever done that before...
Nicki, is no Madonna. Nicki is simply not talented enough to be that contraversial.
"For, by its immensity, the divine substance surpasses every form that our intellect reaches. Thus we are unable to apprehend it by knowing what it is. Yet we are able to have some knowledge of it by knowing what it is not." - St. Thomas Aquinas, Summa contra gentiles, I, 14.

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #107 on: February 15, 2012, 01:15:18 PM »

I thought it was Voltaire that we were plagiarizing.

Or Napoleon - History is a fable that has been agreed upon.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 01:15:44 PM by vamrat »
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline dzheremi

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #108 on: February 15, 2012, 01:15:51 PM »
Wait, so you must be talented to be controversial? Does this mean that if artists like Madonna, Marilyn Manson, etc. weren't controversial they'd still be famous media personalities? Hmm. Someone should ask whoever voiced the Archies about that. Also, two words: Milli Vanilli.

There's certainly nothing new in using sex and/or gory, blasphemic, or otherwise unsettling imagery to sell music (or film, or books, or whatever). That's all that's going on here, and I don't think it requires any talent to appeal to the lowest instincts of humanity.

Offline Punch

• Taxiarches
« Reply #109 on: February 15, 2012, 01:53:06 PM »
I had always heard that it was Napoleon.  I really did not consider it plagiarising is history has not yet determined who actually said it.

I thought it was Voltaire that we were plagiarizing.

Or Napoleon - History is a fable that has been agreed upon.
I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Son of a Preacher Man
« Reply #110 on: February 15, 2012, 02:21:40 PM »
I would like to point out that some things are quite demonic and evil whether they are done for shock value, as a joke, for financial profit, or as an intentional act of satanic worship. We should recognize evil and call it such, rather than winking at it and adopting a laissez faire posture of tolerance simply because those doing the evil "don't really believe in it."

Selam

Post of the month!!!

I recant my sarcastic, slightly humorous comments and place my vote for Gebre's wise words.  I won't assume anyone else has ever fallen into the laissez faire mode of thought, but I sure have and I believe that we should probably simply pray for those who are not Christians.

Offline Sauron

• High Elder
« Reply #111 on: February 15, 2012, 02:23:59 PM »
As master of a Masonic lodge, I was really pleased to see our plans for the Grammy spectacle to come to fruition. After the performance, we all went into the lodge room and toasted each other with wine goblets made from human skulls, followed by a 1204-second round of applause for the sack of Constantinople.

Would you like to know what we have planned for the Oscars?

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #112 on: February 15, 2012, 02:40:38 PM »
As master of a Masonic lodge, I was really pleased to see our plans for the Grammy spectacle to come to fruition. After the performance, we all went into the lodge room and toasted each other with wine goblets made from human skulls, followed by a 1204-second round of applause for the sack of Constantinople.

Does it involve child-sacrifice?  Because I had heard that the Masons were formed by the families of Carthaginian exiles who'd escaped after the sack.

Offline Sauron

• High Elder
« Reply #113 on: February 15, 2012, 02:52:03 PM »

Does it involve child-sacrifice?  Because I had heard that the Masons were formed by the families of Carthaginian exiles who'd escaped after the sack.

Worse. We bring in an Orthodox child and then teach him five-point Calvinism.

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
« Reply #114 on: February 15, 2012, 02:58:45 PM »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Gregory the Great

Offline serb1389

• Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Save Oh Lord your People! And Bless us all!
« Reply #115 on: February 15, 2012, 03:01:42 PM »
I'm more interested in this statement by the "Catholic Justice League" as I call them:  (from the linked article in OP)

Never would they allow an artist to insult Judaism or Islam.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 03:02:03 PM by serb1389 »

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #116 on: February 15, 2012, 04:10:04 PM »

Either this is just blood-libel or you truly are a fiend.

Offline Riddikulus

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #117 on: February 15, 2012, 04:44:01 PM »

:laugh: Now we have looked on the face of true evil!
I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #118 on: February 15, 2012, 04:48:48 PM »

Is that compatible with the Phil Jackson inspired triangle offense? You know, a dose of Zen, a shot of Calvin.....

Offline FormerReformer

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
    • Music and Orthodoxy
« Reply #119 on: February 15, 2012, 04:56:46 PM »
Nicki, is no Madonna. Nicki is simply not talented enough to be that contraversial.

Madonna had/s talent? News to me.

And, though I had never heard of Nicki Minaj before this, from the few other songs I'd listened to as research for my earlier reply- girl can flow, and her performance at the Grammy's would have sounded sinister even without onstage Hollywood Catholic melodrama. Which, given what I've read about her "Roman" persona, is the whole point. All in all, I'd put the whole production at least three points higher than "Like a Prayer".
"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Offline Sauron

• High Elder
« Reply #120 on: February 15, 2012, 04:56:58 PM »

If a child in your Sunday school should have a fascination with tulips, you will know him to be our handiwork.

Offline HabteSelassie

• Ises and I-ity
  • Archon
« Reply #121 on: February 15, 2012, 05:09:00 PM »
Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Is that compatible with the Phil Jackson inspired triangle offense? You know, a dose of Zen, a shot of Calvin.....

In that case go ZONE, it is always the Achilles' Heel of the Triangle, that and Phil Jackson's unrepentant rejection of every implementing a bench with actual talent ;)

stay blessed,
habte selassie
"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10

Offline Riddikulus

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #122 on: February 15, 2012, 05:09:30 PM »

If a child in your Sunday school should have a fascination with tulips, you will know him to be our handiwork.

So we don't look for secret handshakes, anymore. Tulips are the giveaway! Gotcha!  :laugh:

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #123 on: February 15, 2012, 05:10:05 PM »
Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

In that case go ZONE, it is always the Achilles' Heel of the Triangle, that and Phil Jackson's unrepentant rejection of every implementing a bench with actual talent ;)

stay blessed,
habte selassie

My alma mater's coach is third all time on the NCAA victory list and he lived and died with the zone!

Offline elephant

• High Elder
« Reply #124 on: February 15, 2012, 05:21:56 PM »
Dear everyone,

Holy Martyr Porphyrius pray for us!

St. Porphyrius, Sept 15

An actor, he first mocked at Christians before Julian the Apostate. On one occasion, when he was mimicking the Christian mystery of Baptism, he was dipped into the water, pronouncing the words: 'In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.' When he emerged from the water, he cried out: 'Now I am a Christian!' Everyone thought that this was in jest, as always, but he held firm to it, stopped mocking Christians and finally suffered for Christ. He was beheaded in 361, and entered into the Kingdom of Christ.

From The Prologue From Ochrid by Bishop Nikolai Velimirovich

Love,
elephant

Offline Riddikulus

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #125 on: February 15, 2012, 05:31:03 PM »
Dear everyone,

Holy Martyr Porphyrius pray for us!

St. Porphyrius, Sept 15

An actor, he first mocked at Christians before Julian the Apostate. On one occasion, when he was mimicking the Christian mystery of Baptism, he was dipped into the water, pronouncing the words: 'In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.' When he emerged from the water, he cried out: 'Now I am a Christian!' Everyone thought that this was in jest, as always, but he held firm to it, stopped mocking Christians and finally suffered for Christ. He was beheaded in 361, and entered into the Kingdom of Christ.

From The Prologue From Ochrid by Bishop Nikolai Velimirovich

Love,
elephant

God moves in mysterious ways. ;)

Offline FormerReformer

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
    • Music and Orthodoxy
The threads' have been merged?! Awww, I was having fun posting in the non-crazy-masonic-conspiracy-theory thread.

Can I make that a suggestion for the future? A Crazy Masonic Conspiracy Theory and Sane Person forum subdivision for every category from now on? Who would I send such a suggestion to?

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
The threads' have been merged?! Awww, I was having fun posting in the non-crazy-masonic-conspiracy-theory thread.

Can I make that a suggestion for the future? A Crazy Masonic Conspiracy Theory and Sane Person forum subdivision for every category from now on? Who would I send such a suggestion to?

Agreed.  I was having fun posting in the crazy masonic conspiracy theory thread, but now with the inclusion of some good, serious posts I don't think I'll have as much fun humorously derailing any longer. 

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
« Reply #128 on: February 15, 2012, 08:55:53 PM »

PtA doesn't parse functions which call themselves.

It wuz lulz.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
« Reply #129 on: February 15, 2012, 09:00:29 PM »
History is a fable that has been agreed upon.

History is a fable upon which it is has been agreed parents tell their children.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #130 on: February 16, 2012, 02:01:17 AM »

Actually, you haven't seen me program a function that calculates a mathematical factorial (x!). ;D Program one of those bad boys to use recursion (x! = x * (x - 1)! = x * (x - 1) * (x -2)! = ...), then plug in a large starting number to test it, and you could end up choking your computer with a big recursion stack. That, and the end result would cause overflow errors, even with a 64-bit integer, with not that big a starting number.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 02:08:04 AM by PeterTheAleut »
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #131 on: February 16, 2012, 10:51:14 AM »

Actually, you haven't seen me program a function that calculates a mathematical factorial (x!). ;D Program one of those bad boys to use recursion (x! = x * (x - 1)! = x * (x - 1) * (x -2)! = ...), then plug in a large starting number to test it, and you could end up choking your computer with a big recursion stack. That, and the end result would cause overflow errors, even with a 64-bit integer, with not that big a starting number.
???

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
« Reply #132 on: February 16, 2012, 10:53:36 AM »

Ummm, is the correct answer...toast?  ??? ??? ???
Gregory the Great

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #133 on: February 16, 2012, 10:55:10 AM »

I can see where you are coming from with this.  All the same, I think Nicki Minaj should be tossed into a river to see if she floats or not, then subsequently burnt.  Wouldn't want people to get the idea that they can make fun of Christianity and get away with it.

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #134 on: February 16, 2012, 11:17:20 AM »

I can see where you are coming from with this.  All the same, I think Nicki Minaj should be tossed into a river to see if she floats or not, then subsequently burnt.  Wouldn't want people to get the idea that they can make fun of Christianity and get away with it.

I'd be careful with that burning thing though....I recall a former poster who got into a big argument that didn't end well which included his accusation that burning of heretics and witches was limited to our Western friends.